Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 02:44 PM

597 posts, read 1,298,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I received this in my inbox and checked the Texas and Oregon codes (I don't really feel like checking them all). I must live under a rock because I had no clue this was going on. Texas offers an elective removal of the testicles at the states expense. Very interesting.

"Eight states allow chemical or surgical castration of sex offenders. They are: California, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Montana, Oregon, Texas, and Wisconsin. "

Eight States Allow Castrating Sex Offenders
Very good idea.
I regret here in Brazil we have not a law like that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 02:46 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
The problem is, how to you UNcastrate someone, when it's discovered that they weren't the one who raped the woman? Or that the woman was never raped? Or that they -did- have sex, but it was consented, without drugs, but the woman felt ashamed and therefore accused him of raping her and was convincing enough to get a jury to convict him?

If the criminal gets to decide his fate, among the various possible punishments, then sure I'd be for it. But I would hate to think that some young fellow who was DEFINITELY in the wrong place, at the wrong time, PROBABLY misbehaving but NOT raping a woman, is getting castrated and will never be capable of enjoying a natural function of his gender for the rest of his life.

At least criminals serving time in jail can masturbate successfully. I would not want to impose that kind of punishment on any man, unless he specifically volunteers for it.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:17 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I received this in my inbox and checked the Texas and Oregon codes (I don't really feel like checking them all). I must live under a rock because I had no clue this was going on. Texas offers an elective removal of the testicles at the states expense. Very interesting.

"Eight states allow chemical or surgical castration of sex offenders. They are: California, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Montana, Oregon, Texas, and Wisconsin. "

Eight States Allow Castrating Sex Offenders

sure thing, only thing that should be done is to band them while they are in prison just like some one would band a pig or bull.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:42 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
Is it possible to do this to women sex offenders as well?

Old 06-27-2010, 04:33 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The problem is, how to you UNcastrate someone, when it's discovered that they weren't the one who raped the woman?
That's why proof should be beyond any reasonable doubt.

And what if they are instead "only" jailed? How do you turn back the clock and give them back years of their life that are now gone?

Sorry, "the solution isn't perfect so let's scrap it" doesn't work for ANY punishment.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:00 PM

389 posts, read 776,810 times
Exclamation 100% Fair! Castrate the dirtbag!

That's why we have lie detecters and polygraph tests. To make sure you've got 'em lyin'. Then you can't go wrong. Also, you need official physical evidence in order to convict a sex offender and put 'im to trile anyway. So the chances are slim of gettin' the wrong one.

If a man is convicted of rape or molestation, I say hang 'im from there first, then castrate 'im & throw his ass in jale for life! I think a person like that deserves slow, painful, and if possible, disgusting punishment that makes him sick to his stomach just lookin' @ himself in the mirror everyday. I say make him live a full life in total pain and misery, just like the woman/girl he brought pain and misery to.

If it's a woman, why make her punishment any better? I don't know exactly what they would do with a female, but it oughta hurt & make her regret horridly what she did.

We shouldn't go easy @ all on these absolutely slimy disgusting sorry ass excuses for humans. We should rot 'im in their graves before they get there. Let 'em cry and beg mercifully for the lost years of their lives back. Let 'em pay just for suckin' air after shamelessly committing such a horrible crime against his/her neighbor. Let 'em all pay! Have no mercy!

Anyway, I think the whole castrating sex offenders is 100% fair & I wish the whole country allowed it 'cept for only 8 states. hahaha, now I'm in trouble. Damn have I gotta dirty mouth. haha. Well, am I right or not?

Jessie

Old 06-27-2010, 06:13 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,186,695 times
I would be in favor of surgical castration only if the following criteria was met............

#1-----voluntary and the alternative was staying in prison
#2-----repeat offenders
#3-----not to be used ( or offered ) if it was a lessor sex offense, but still classified as rape

Going back to my experience with cattle, the testicles control a lot more than pregnancy.
Having farmed all my life and worked at a packing plant for 19 years, I can attest to that.

A bull carcass is easily distinguishable from a steer carcass.
The muscling of the bull is so obvious that a new worker can easily tell the difference.

Yes, the testicles controls a lot more than just the ability to get a female pregnant.

( I already mentioned the temperment issue ,also)

Regarding temperment..............I'll bet if all males were surgically castrated upon entering prison,( not that I favor that idea ) there would be very little prison violence and many prison guards would be layed off.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:23 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,595,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Im still not understanding why we have narrowed it down to the classical definition of rape to be the only qualifier for castration, especially since rape can be committed with any object or body part including fingers. Would there be surgical removal of fingers hands?
I mentioned - which no one else addressed - that historically castration was not associated with punishment for rape or sex crimes ; historically it was associated with treason and subversion.

Quote:
Also, I noticed that castration is only a viable alternative if it is intended to address rape. Cases of molestation/penetration with fingers and inappropriate touching and so forth would still be problematic. And of course within that context, if those become grounds for castration, then female offenders would be equally liable for mutilation...which I dont see happening.

This argument just seems kind of binary with no acknowledgment of gray areas. It seems like the only rationale is that: Rape occurs so there should be castration for the sex offenders who are rapists. All the other stuff, we can just live with.

But in reality, that kind of doesnt solve anything....it may be a moral victory, but I dont see where that really mitigates much in terms of the overall violations committed against victims of sexual crimes.
The likelihood of apprehension is more of a deterrent than the harshest of punishments, as is the case with crime in general.

On the Perverted Justice website, it says that the arrests of those soliciting sex with minors has generally scared away those merely looking for sex in general and thus the overwhelming, overwhelming majority of those looking to have sex with young teens are truly pedos. The website justifies its activities by stating that the number of men arrested for soliciting minors has scared off those who aren't seriously into it. (Lesbian pedophiles are rarely arrested, mainly because US society seems to have a pro-lesbian bias except when it comes to the military and marriage, and also there's no risk of pregnancy.) This is just one example of how the likelihood of apprehension is the best deterrent - another example is that more cops on the street do a great deal more to deter crime, including but not limited to rape, than the harshest of harsh sentences.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:36 AM

3 posts, read 4,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
If it works, all 50 should demand it.

I have always found it interesting and disturbing why people worry so about inflicting pain on someone who savagely raped or maimed another person. IMO, those who advocate for violent offenders to be treated with kid gloves are just as sick as the offenders themselves.
Let YOUR little boy or girl be the victim you wont be so kind then. Or even your teen, not enough pain can be aflicted on the rapist...CUT EM OFF'

Old 06-28-2010, 08:45 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaniceBurton View Post
Let YOUR little boy or girl be the victim you wont be so kind then. Or even your teen, not enough pain can be aflicted on the rapist...CUT EM OFF'
Not sure what you're saying here, but it seems that you're implying that a rapist is somehow a "victim" if he is castrated for raping somebody.

Frankly, f that is what you are saying, there is nothing that could be more absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates