Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:42 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
In civilrights case the difference is that they were PEERS. Sports teams, pep rallys, lunch, parties. They eat together, and socialize together but if they start dating he's a criminal ? No go for me. Heff can be 80 and sleep with 18 year olds and NOBODY thinks he's a perv but me. WHATEVER.
Umm, yes he's a perv, he is also a law abiding citizen, and not sleeping with or forcing himself on pre-pubescent boys and girls... welcome to the debate.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:55 PM

422 posts, read 649,130 times
My point is that Civil didn't force himself on anyone either. He was dating a classmate. Hef is a married man with some obvious issues and I am not sooo quick to classify civil as a perv. I don't think he should be registered. Thats all I'm saying.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:46 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You know. When I was a child (long time ago, I'll admit), nobody made such a stinking fuss over being "molested". Now days you would think it was the end of the world or something. Kids got molested all the time by babysitters, relatives, strangers....it was like..."ho hum, uncle Joe is a pervert. ha ha ha", and nobody got their panties in a knot about it. And you know what???? Even the kids who got molested didn't treat it like it was a big deal.

Now days, if someone looks cross ways at a kid he becomes a deviant and treated like he has committed the single most horrific crime of the century. People have been watching waaaaay too much Jerry Springer and have begun to THRIVE ON DRAMA. When no drama exists, they fabricate it. It's totally absurd.

Now, mind you, there are some sex offenses that are pretty horrible. For instance having a knife or gun put to your throat while you are be raped (not knowing if the guy is going to kill you or not), or being sexually tortured, or ending up pregnant (possibly the most horrific thing of all). But I have known women in my life who were raped (not at gun point or knife point), who did not end up pregnant or tainted with some sexual disease who treated it like the whole event was nothing. It was like.......pfffft, so what?

So I will never believe for an instant that people are scarred for life and unable to function as human beings etc., etc., because Uncle Mike perved out one day and copped a feel. Nope, aint' buying it for a minute.

20yrsinBranson
You've obviously never been held down and touched/penetrated against your will. Good luck for you.

To disregard what that is like, is beyond disgusting.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-06-2010 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:59 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativeguy504 View Post

In the interest of public safety, shouldn't we require those convicted of ALL serious crimes to register, and not just sex offenders? After all, harm to children can come from many different types.

Thoughts?
Where I live the local newspaper publishes the name and address of every adult arrested in the town, including the ones who don't live here but come here and commit a crime. That's right, you go down for shoplifting or writing a bad check or drunk driving or drug possession or murder or a domestic dispute, no difference, your name and address is published in the local newspaper on the page of police arrests for that day. If you had a street map, you could mark it to see where the people live that frighten you. That doesn't help, though, if a convicted criminal moves into your neighborhood after they get out of jail. I agree with you on the register of all serious crimes.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:58 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Now days, if someone looks cross ways at a kid he becomes a deviant and treated like he has committed the single most horrific crime of the century. People have been watching waaaaay too much Jerry Springer and have begun to THRIVE ON DRAMA. When no drama exists, they fabricate it. It's totally absurd.
There is actually some truth to this. I chalk it up largely to our insanely spoiled society which is so bored it thrives on all that trashy garbage. The people who disgust me the most on such shows aren't the guests or host, but the audience. To find such crap "entertaining" is completely bizarre, in a scary way.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-07-2010 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:37 AM

897 posts, read 1,687,864 times
I want to know what perverts live around Me.it's best to know who those people are!

Old 07-07-2010, 02:21 PM

33 posts, read 59,601 times
Thank you to all who defended me. But let's look at it legally, I broke the law. Was it a messed up situation? No doubt about it. But I accept all that came of it and never even attempted to fight it because it was a clear case of black and white. I still think the registry is a good idea and was founded with good intentions. It's just been corrupted and needs to be taken back to the drawing board. I'd say that about 3/4 of those registered are attempting to live withing the law and are not at risk of reoffending. But with official having so many offenders to wade through, how will they ever be able to keep an eye on that 25% that really need watching? And I read a previous poster say something about almost all sex offenders are back in jail within 5yrs.........well there is a reason for that. Sex offenders, like any ex-con, is an easy target and almost guaranteed conviction. The system has most set up to fail. And as far as the reoffense rates..........less than 5% of sex offenders that reoffend actually do so with another sex offense. Check your statistics.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:07 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
I agree there should be no registry for people who hurt children. They should be executed so there is no need of a registry.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:25 PM

897 posts, read 1,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I agree there should be no registry for people who hurt children. They should be executed so there is no need of a registry.

I agree with You,down My street three elderly Child rapists live. It's very uncomfortable know People like that live down the street from You!

Old 07-07-2010, 05:36 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Sad, my son has a friend this happened to. Bring up the sex offender registry for my area, theres his picture and for ppl who don't know the full story, theres whispers and folks yanking there kids out of yard when they see him. Something for every teenage boy to keep in mind, "it could happen to them". Fortunately you haven't let the the stigma hinder your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIVILRIGHTS? View Post
Firstly, I am a low risk registered sex offender. My backstory is a common one. I was a senior in highschool dating a freshman. I was 17 and she was 14. For 2 months of every year I am 4 yrs her senior. 3 years later after having a falling out with her father, he pressed charges on me. So there I was at 20 years old being charged as a sex offender of a 14 year old girl. Yes they used her age at time of meeting. Now I am 33 and a registered sex offender for life. I am married and have 4 kids, all of which I want the best in the world for. I face all the challenges the rest of the sex offenders on the registry face and I am totally for registration of sexual crimes. However I do feel there is a great need for better classification of offenders and different levels of supervision on a case by case basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates