U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2010, 09:26 AM
 
239 posts, read 493,637 times
Reputation: 327

Advertisements

I'll try and keep this as brief as possible...

I just got a sex offender notification in the mail, which got me thinking: I think sex offenders are the scum of the earth, and should be punished for their crimes. However, what I don't understand (and why I'm against registries for sex offenders), is that the law requires sex offenders to register, but does not require those convicted of other violent crimes to do so.

So...in the interest of "public safety" and "protecting children", I'm warned about the sex offender who just moved into my neighborhood. But I'm NOT warned about the people who have on their record...

One or more drug convictions
Violent assault convictions
Armed robbery/kidnapping, etc
Drunk driving convictions, etc
Theft

In the interest of public safety, shouldn't we require those convicted of ALL serious crimes to register, and not just sex offenders? After all, harm to children can come from many different types.

Thoughts?

 
Old 06-26-2010, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Gettysburg, PA
1,563 posts, read 1,510,434 times
Reputation: 2750
My only opinion on that is that there should be different categories of sex offenders. I suppose if I had children I might be more concerned if a child rapist moved next door to me than if it was the poor guy who got cited for having to take a leak outside with no restroom in sight (or the 18 year old who had sex with his 16 year old girlfriend, parents of the girl found out, and co-erced her into getting the guy in trouble).

But as to your main point. I think there are far too many laws involving the "saftey" of children. Okay, I may be a little biased because I don't care for children, but it seems like it's getting to the point where if you move your left foot the wrong way, someone's going to saying "oh my god, you're going to harm a child!!!"

Moderator cut: Off topic

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-26-2010 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: Please stick to the topic.
 
Old 06-26-2010, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Hernando, FL
749 posts, read 2,016,746 times
Reputation: 528
Depending on where you live, you may be able to find your neighbors criminal history and arrest records by searching the County Clerk of Court or Sheriff websites. That's the way it is in FL but when I lived in Michigan the info wasn't availible online or if it was they charged money for the inquires.
 
Old 06-26-2010, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Lehigh Acres
1,777 posts, read 4,057,339 times
Reputation: 882
While I agree that there should be registries for all violent offenders, I'm very happy to receive e-mails alerting me when a piece of trash that touches little kids moves into the area, it helps me to be more aware for my children, as well as those of the neighborhood.
 
Old 06-26-2010, 11:46 AM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,527 posts, read 29,233,815 times
Reputation: 21263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativeguy504 View Post
In the interest of public safety, shouldn't we require those convicted of ALL serious crimes to register, and not just sex offenders? After all, harm to children can come from many different types.

Thoughts?
I wonder at what point in time that everything on the planet became "ABOUT THE EFFING CHILDREN". Who-the-hell-cares.

Anyway. I totally agree with you that it is WRONG and unfair to stigmatize a person who has paid their debt to society. People make mistakes, people learn. Yes, there are career criminals and repeat offenders who are going to commit the same crime again - that is unfortunate. But it is NOT RIGHT to paint every person with the same brush. Besides, all sex offenders DO NOT HAVE SEX WITH CHILDREN. In fact, most of them would find that is abhorrent and disgusting as anyone else.

I say, let these people live their lives out in the peace and quiet and DIGNITY that they deserve. After they do their time, they are no different than anyone else and should be allowed to live without having this kind of BS hanging over their heads forever.

20yrsinBranson

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-26-2010 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: Reduced the amount of quoted text
 
Old 06-26-2010, 11:50 AM
 
3,651 posts, read 8,112,779 times
Reputation: 2747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
My only opinion on that is that there should be different categories of sex offenders. I suppose if I had children I might be more concerned if a child rapist moved next door to me than if it was the poor guy who got cited for having to take a leak outside with no restroom in sight (or the 18 year old who had sex with his 16 year old girlfriend, parents of the girl found out, and co-erced her into getting the guy in trouble).
Good point. But now you're saying the lawmakers should exercise common sense, something which they typically hate, so keep your dreams realistic.

And for that reason, I have mixed feelings on the whole registration thing.
 
Old 06-26-2010, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Lehigh Acres
1,777 posts, read 4,057,339 times
Reputation: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I wonder at what point in time that everything on the planet became "ABOUT THE EFFING CHILDREN". Who-the-hell-cares.

Anyway. I totally agree with you that it is WRONG and unfair to stigmatize a person who has paid their debt to society. People make mistakes, people learn. Yes, there are career criminals and repeat offenders who are going to commit the same crime again - that is unfortunate. But it is NOT RIGHT to paint every person with the same brush. Besides, all sex offenders DO NOT HAVE SEX WITH CHILDREN. In fact, most of them would find that is abhorrent and disgusting as anyone else.

I say, let these people live their lives out in the peace and quiet and DIGNITY that they deserve. After they do their time, they are no different than anyone else and should be allowed to live without having this kind of BS hanging over their heads forever.

20yrsinBranson
They are most definitely different than the rest of us. I have never now, nor will I ever fondle a child or sexually assault someone. I have every right to know if someone like that is living nearby. The ol' "paid their debt to society" line is a bunch of hooey. You cannot make up for molesting a child, or raping a woman by serving time in prison. You are still the same piece of trash that committed that crime, only you got to stew about it in prison, getting 3 squares and cable tv.

It only takes ONE dirtbag to molest a child, even with the whole world aware that these kind of people exist, I think we need every opportunity to protect them that we can get.



BTW, parents care about the children, I'm sorry if you're sterile, or jaded about not having children, but mine deserve to be safe, just like you do.
 
Old 06-26-2010, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Bayou City
2,991 posts, read 4,468,958 times
Reputation: 2496
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
While I agree that there should be registries for all violent offenders, I'm very happy to receive e-mails alerting me when a piece of trash that touches little kids moves into the area, it helps me to be more aware for my children, as well as those of the neighborhood.
Children are much more likely to be sexually abused by someone close to them (teacher, family, friend) than some random dude on a registry down the block.

Last edited by MrSykes; 06-26-2010 at 03:39 PM..
 
Old 06-26-2010, 03:58 PM
 
48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
Reputation: 17978
I am for violent offender registrtion but does not mean I am aginst sex offenders registering. My guess is thst its impractical cost wise to do them all really. Tyhey have a heard enough time trying to keepup now with sex offenders. In fact mnay do not register so its not just a case of them complying but actaully managig such a programs.Between poroleee;those on prbatino and thsi they can't keep up unless we want to pay alot more in taxes to fund it.Every law must be enforced ro its is useless really.
 
Old 06-26-2010, 05:00 PM
 
3,647 posts, read 9,307,282 times
Reputation: 5427
My daughter was just molested by a teenage girl on our street. (We just moved here) I checked the registries before moving, but saw nothing in our neighborhood. The family seemed nice, the girl was so polite.

She'll be forced to register as a sex offender now. If she had been registered before, after her first offense, I would've had a heads up and my daughter wouldn't be going through all she is going through. The father came by today to tell me how unfair it is that his daughter and family is going through this all - oh, and that he's sorry too. I agreed with him - I'm sorry that his daughter molested mine.

But I'm oh-so-glad that any new families moving into the neighborhood will know AHEAD of time to keep their children away from that house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top