Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:16 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You underestimate the intelligence of children. It's not what you expose them to. It's how you approach the subject matter. The more you restrict them from seeing things, the more you limit their learning.

As parents, you're shaping your child's neural networks. You have the largest influence on their cognitive psychology. If approached properly, the neurons will create nerve fibers defining neuron ensembles that define perception of the subject matter. It's not about what the children are allowed to see or view, it's about what they connect it to in their brain.
Then you go strictly against the established cardinal Marketing Law of today . This is the ploy and success of marketing :

'If you say something long enough, loud enough, and often enough...people will believe it' .

When America stopped being concerned with maintaining and protecting the innocense of its children thru the mass marketing of violence and a highly sexualized (immoral) culture leaving children to
'intelligently sort it all out' , greater moral corruption and hence personal harm resulted. In fact , it is so embedded in our society that both children AND adults today choose to suppress their intrinsic moral conscience so maximized hedonism can be enjoyed. Its called Moral Relativism --- one of the trademarks of a Post Modern era where God and his absolute moral structures given out of love for protection are no longer desired among the masses. Todays Mass Media is simply an influential tool to accomplish this 'personal freedom'
and children are the suspectible Pawns at this game of high stakes .

Last edited by 007.5; 07-25-2010 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: add

Old 07-26-2010, 08:28 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
I have thought about this for a bit.

I don't trust the ratings. Some of what is R, I have shown my son. Specifically regarding those that have historical content. What would have been PG or PG 13, sometimes I find rather questionable. Having said that, I think that when it comes to movies it is a parental decision. Do, I think that if there is a kid in a R movie, especially horror, that it is a OK for a kid to be able to walk in and see it? No.

There are themes that 1 1/2 hours is not going to adequately address. That would be my job. So, if it makes people feel like they are doing a service to all mankind by putting a rating on movies, so be it. They will then stay out of my way to let me parent.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:38 AM

Do, I think that if there is a kid in a R movie, especially horror, that it is a OK for a kid to be able to walk in and see it? No.
'

REPLY: Im glad to hear that. The amount of Parents who simply dont care or are duped as to what they let their children watch , is a travesty. Then the Parents wonder why theyve become disrespectful , hostile, and unkind toward the entire family. If adults are influenced by an out of control Media (which they are given the many forms of hedonism and other abberant behavior today), then how much more will it be for less mature minds who are under constant indoctrination from a mass Media who could care less about your childrens values, morals, and ethics.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:13 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,644,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Do, I think that if there is a kid in a R movie, especially horror, that it is a OK for a kid to be able to walk in and see it? No.
'

REPLY: Im glad to hear that. The amount of Parents who simply dont care or are duped as to what they let their children watch , is a travesty. Then the Parents wonder why theyve become disrespectful , hostile, and unkind toward the entire family. If adults are influenced by an out of control Media (which they are given the many forms of hedonism and other abberant behavior today), then how much more will it be for less mature minds who are under constant indoctrination from a mass Media who could care less about your childrens values, morals, and ethics.
I think it is unfair to catagorize all families that let children watch someting R-Rated! You seriously think that watching some R rated movies are going to influence all kids for the rest of their lives? Kids have a lot more scary things to face in the world today than some R rated movie, the real world today is harsh and can be very violent.
I give my kids lots of freedom to watch R rated movies, play video games, and listen to what they want. They also know to use the brains that God gave them and make their own decisions wisely. They are great kids with good hearts,and they are good students and help other people out when someone needs it.
I think some people are just so uptight, that or they want to shield their kids from the real world....I think it's doing them a disservice by being over protective.
If you do not want to let your kids watch R rated movies that's fine for your kids, but it's wrong to try to pass moral judgments on people that you know nothing about..

Old 07-26-2010, 08:54 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
'

I agree with you to an extent. While I think that the media has a great amount of influence, I am not sure it promotes hedonism. Capitalism for sure, and that doesn't care about values, morals and ethics. Does life immitate art or does art immitate life?

If we go back to after the production code was in place in 1934 we see movies that are implying what is taking place without coming forward to say/show it. Sherlock Holmes is a heroin addict and so you can see the movies, and shows, where it is implied but if you don't know that in advance then you aren't going to get it. So, there was so much that could not be conveyed to the audience that I would not like to go back to that era. Conan Doyle also used drugs. Does life immitate art or does art immitate life?

But, they actually acted and that is pretty hard to come by. People had uneven teeth and wrinkles. I watched Dirty Harry for the first time last month. I then realized that I had seen at least 20 movies that were just another version of Dirty Harry. There is definitely a lack of creativity goin' on.

People go to horror flics because they want to be scared and a kid in the plot, that for all intensive purposes should be viewed as innocent, is portrayed as the antichrist scares the bejeezes out of people. Much of what is shown in the mainstream movies are predictable. You won't remember them in 5 months. Horror or no. Still, it is only a parent that can feel out if their kid is actually ready to tango with that.

Having said that, I remember before we had reality shows and the writers got jacked around. So, we have a great many people who think that what they are viewing is reality. I don't think that many realize that the shows have been quite heavily edited to show exactly what they wish to convey. So, the reality could not be farther from the truth.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:00 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,779,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreadhead View Post
I recently watched the Rob Zombie remake of Halloween. In the movie, a young child uses every word in the book and kills several people quite violently.

That got me thinking: Do you think it's fair to restrict children from watching a movie in which another similarly aged kid is swearing like a sailor and slicing one victim's throat and bashing in another victim's skull with a bat?

I have wondered about this in the past as well. I've read that when the Shining was made, the child actor didn't even know he was in a horror film. He wasn't involved in any explicit violence nor did he swear. He was also off stage when these actions were being filmed. However, in Halloween, I can't see how the director could have pulled off this type of staging.

Scott
I agree that children should be shielded from such things, but that is the responsibility of the parents or legal guardians. The child's parents must have agreed to allow this. No government interference please....

Old 07-27-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
I think it is unfair to catagorize all families that let children watch someting R-Rated! You seriously think that watching some R rated movies are going to influence all kids for the rest of their lives? Kids have a lot more scary things to face in the world today than some R rated movie, the real world today is harsh and can be very violent.
I give my kids lots of freedom to watch R rated movies, play video games, and listen to what they want. They also know to use the brains that God gave them and make their own decisions wisely. They are great kids with good hearts,and they are good students and help other people out when someone needs it.
I think some people are just so uptight, that or they want to shield their kids from the real world....I think it's doing them a disservice by being over protective.
If you do not want to let your kids watch R rated movies that's fine for your kids, but it's wrong to try to pass moral judgments on people that you know nothing about..
By not being responsible and telling your children why R rated movies are wrong, you are sending a clear message to them that you either dont know or you dont care . The whole idea behind parenting is to train up the child in the CORRECT way they should go, and when they get older it will hopefully stick. And by allowing them to watch the filth and moral degradation always part of R rated movies, you are allowing an already out of control Mass Media to influence your children. Lastly, it is not wrong for me to pass moral judgement on others ; we make judgements concerning anothers integrity ,wisdom, decision making every day of our lives . It only becomes wrong when we pass judgement in a hypocritical manner IE: Me speaking out against R rated movies when i get a steady diet of them too. What you are advocating is the twisted tolerance philosophy of today whereby you expect everyone to be tolerant of things that are wrong , are destructive to others, and which will continue to add to the moral degradation of american society to which im a part of .... all without voicing protest because it is allegedly 'none of my business' , when i have the duty to speak up agaisnt things that are absolutely wrong. There was a time in america not too long ago when we were each our brothers-keeper helping others see the error of their ways...that was before the sad state that our nation is currently in due to the twisted tolerance philosophy which says 'I dont really care' .

Last edited by 007.5; 07-27-2010 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: add

Old 07-27-2010, 08:20 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,128 times
I wont be showing those kind of movies to my kids however I really dont care what other people show their children as its none of my business. As long as they are not crying or being annoying children during my movie, I dont care.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:43 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
I think anyone who thinks kids should be watching movies with nudity and sex in them is so confused and delusional that it doesn't warrant discussion.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:07 AM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I think anyone who thinks kids should be watching movies with nudity and sex in them is so confused and delusional that it doesn't warrant discussion.

... and violence, language, twisted sick horrors or promoting wrong moral values, I should add...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates