U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida to Illinois road trip, left lane bandits, enforcement of slower traffic keep right laws, road rage, truckers, passing lanes, tailgaters, written and unwritten laws of the highway

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:25 PM

86 posts, read 65,754 times

Advertisements

And by that same logic, if a "playground bully" tells you give him your lunch and a dollar, just do it! Maybe that will make him nicer in the future! . . . ?

Old 05-19-2014, 09:27 PM

11,898 posts, read 9,620,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheMath7 View Post
And by that same logic, if a "playground bully" tells you give him your lunch and a dollar, just do it! Maybe that will make him nicer in the future! . . . ?
You refusing to give into those wanting you to move is equal to those tailgating you, asking you to move. You realize this right?

Either way, the "speed demons" who are trying to pass you will just pass on the right when given the chance and zoom beyond you back in the left, while you're stuck trying to prove a point in the left lane. Everyone will be speeding beyond you, anyway, so who really wins? Not you. How do I know this? I have been, and am, one of those "speed demons" who passes an idiot going 50 in the left lane on the right, only to go back to the left lane going 70.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
I don't agree with tailgating, either. It's stupid and dangerous. But it takes everyone practicing courteous and appropriate behavior to enhance the experience and safety of highway driving, and that includes you not trying to be a speed limit enforcement vigilante.

Aggressive drivers are absolutely a huge problem, but all you're doing when you act like that is just feeding the beast. Maybe you secretly get a kick out of that deep down, who knows.
Well, thank you for acknowledging that "aggressive drivers are absolutely a huge problem." As for my "feeding the beast," do you understand the concept of "enabling?" Letting them have the rule of the road is ENABLING them to the MAX, and THAT is "feeding the beast!"

Quote:
"But it takes everyone practicing courteous and appropriate behavior . . ."
So, where does "courteous and appropriate behavior" BEGIN? With obeying the laws that are put there for our safety. I knew too many people who have DIED on our highways, because people refuse to obey the laws. Real "courteous."

SLOW DOWN AND OBEY THE SPEED LIMITS AND THE PERSON WHO IS DRIVING THE SPEED LIMIT IN FRONT OF YOU WILL NEVER BE IN YOUR WAY!

Quote:
. . . and that includes you not trying to be a speed limit enforcement vigilante.
A "vigilante" is not someone who obeys the law and happens to get in your way in the process. A "vigilante" is someone without proper authority who PUNISHES (or threatens) someone else for a perceived infraction of the law. Tailgaters - and especially those who zip around, cut back in front and slam on their brakes, or try to run you off the road, fit into this category MUCH more than someone merely driving the speed limit!

And how may "left lane enforcement vigilantes" are on this blog . . . ?

Old 05-19-2014, 10:16 PM

Since the year 2000, over HALF A MILLION Americans have died on our highways. Many more have been seriously injured, lost limbs, become paralyzed, etc.

That is a LOT of people - Dads, moms, aunts and uncles, and children!

SOMEONE, please show me some viable statistics somewhere that attributes the cause of ANY of those deaths to everyone paying attention and obeying the traffic laws!

Just one . . . ? (understand that I am not saying "in SPITE of" as might happen with a mechanical failure or road conditions, but rather "BECAUSE of")

. . . just one out of half a million??

That should be pretty telling.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:22 PM

And how many of the cumulative HOURS (or days) that you have lost to traffic jams resulting from an accident somewhere in front of you were the result of everyone paying attention and obeying the traffic laws?

Let's have some honesty here!

Last edited by DoTheMath7; 05-19-2014 at 10:35 PM..

Old 05-20-2014, 12:11 AM

1,039 posts, read 821,402 times
Where I am, there are two main laws to follow while on the highway:

1. The speed limit
2. Slower traffic keep right/left lane for passing

Now, for those who wish to drive slower and want to abide by the rules of the road need to move out of the left lane no matter how fast the vehicle approaching from behind is going. If the speed limit is 65 and you drive 65, then you are following the speed limit. If you are in the left lane and someone is approaching from behind at 70 and you do not move right, then you are breaking the "slower traffic keep right" law. If you're intent on following the laws, then you should have no problem moving over even if the other driver is speeding. Usually, I have very little problem with people moving right, as most drivers can see me approaching in their rearview and will move over. I do the same when I see someone approaching in my rearview.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:30 AM

33,142 posts, read 39,090,825 times
Sooner or later these self righteous control freaks who want to hold every one up run into some one who just doesnt play their little game,a road rage event usually ensues people could potentially die all because our right lane control freak has an issue with people going 70 in a 65 zone.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:26 AM

12,994 posts, read 17,122,083 times
If law enforcement was actually serious about curtailing aggressive driving, they'd do two things: 1) Raise the speed limits on limited-access highways. 2) Start punishing the passive and passive-aggressive drivers.

Passive and passive-aggressive drivers are the disease; aggressive drivers are but a symptom thereof. Passive and passive-aggressive drivers are the cause; aggressive drivers are the effect.

I've been driving for nearly 20 years now, and the number of times I've ever been passed on the right while driving on a free-flowing limited-access highway can be counted on one hand.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:59 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,704,040 times
If they are going the speed limit, and they get over, when you pass them you are breaking the law

Old 05-20-2014, 08:04 AM

11,796 posts, read 9,712,347 times
Pulling right for a speedier driver is common courtesy, the latter which is usually lost on the crowd who screams "it's mah rights as an American!" about everything. Not everyone is in your hurry, but at the same time not everyone is out for your leisurely drive either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates