U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida to Illinois road trip, left lane bandits, enforcement of slower traffic keep right laws, road rage, truckers, passing lanes, tailgaters, written and unwritten laws of the highway

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 01:12 PM

20,230 posts, read 28,325,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Are you referring to to people who ride slightly over or at the speed limit in the left lane? Or the people who spend most of their road time speeding in the left lane and give it a courtesy title of 'passing' while getting angry at anyone who dares get in their way? Both are in the wrong IMO.
Anyone who doesn't yield the left lane when driving slower than others or those who think they can live their via default since they're driving at 85 mph.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:29 PM

158 posts, read 177,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
If you live in Maryland (as your location says you do), there isn't much of a "keep right" law. You're only required to keep right if you're going more than 10 under. But that's the exception, not the rule. The vast majority of states have some form of "keep right" law.

Here is a list of laws and a map of states color coded by law.

I support these laws. Slow left-lane drivers impede traffic and encourage dangerous right-hand passing. How hard is it to reserve the left lane for faster traffic?
Good post, love the map. How often are these laws enforced? Personally, I get irritated by people who are hogging the left lane but I don't have any problem passing them on the right. I see people in Maryland and Virginia do that all the time. I've never seen anyone pulled over by the police for going the speed limit in the left lane, or even a bit slower. Two nights ago I watched a cop pass a slow poke driver, on the right.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:55 PM

86 posts, read 65,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
^ Here are 2 of the a-holes the OP was talking about
Let's see . . . I'm guessing that you are referring to myself and LillyJo? I'm not that familiar with this forum, so I don't know if the "^" can be counted on for keeping a linear reference.

OK - so you ARE talking about me . . . Can you "talk" with any greater degree of specificity than "a-holes?" Kinda hard to respond to such a vague post. You don't like me, I get it. Tough. If you would like to communicate an actual problem that you have with anything I said, how about addressing that particular issue, specifically?? Then maybe we can have some intelligent interaction.

But I will respond at least to the "a-hole" part. Since I know that such portion of anatomy is common to all people (and they pretty much all stink), and you have the same basic orifice as I do, and each of us only has one, the term is rather lost when applied to a whole person. You might just as descriptively call me a "jerk." But again, you run into a problem with specificity. What is a "jerk?" If you think I am a jerk, and someone else does not, then am I a jerk or not? Can it be proven either way?

But here's a word for you to consider, because it has a specific meaning, and whether or not someone (you) qualifies is not up to personal opinion - they either DO fit the definition, or they DON'T, regardless of who thinks what about them. The word is "HYPOCRITE; A person who engages in the same behaviors he condemns others for" . . like a person who thinks I should obey a certain law - which isn't even a law here - but they themselves break every law on the books. They want me to KEEP RIGHT like the non-existent sign says, but the OTHER signs, the clearly and prolifically posted SPEED LIMITS, they feel totally justified in blatantly dis-obeying! That qualifies as a "HYPOCRITE!"

Now see, there is no ambiguity with the word "HYPOCRITE." You aren't a "jerk," because I can't even tell you what "jerk" means, specifically - and whereas everyone has an "a-hole," but that is only a part of your physiology, I am reasonably certain that you, as a whole, are not one of those. But I am guessing (hard to say for certain, since you didn't make any intelligible actual statement) that you ARE, by definition, a hypocrite.

Again, if you are able, please address a specific issue about the posts I have made, and we can "talk" about it - maybe even intelligently.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Ignorance is at an all time high in the US (don't believe it? read through this forum) and left-lane drivers are but one example of the largely "me-oriented" society we live in now.
You are right about the existence of the "ME oriented society," but you are mistaken as to who is really exhibiting the "it's all about ME attitude." The very act of obeying the law is a recognition that the whole of society is more important than "me." If you refuse to obey the clearly posted speed limits, and even more, if you get angry at people who, as a result of their obedience to the laws, get in your way, . . . .

then the real narcissistic "ME" is YOU!

Old 05-09-2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I agree 200%!!! Having lived in Der Land of Der Autobahn, I especially hate Left Lane Bandits...I believe enforcement of "Slower traffic keep right" laws ought to be stepped up. It would reduce "road rage" and therefore accidents as frustrated drivers try to get around the bandits. WLW radio's Mike McConnell had an official from the National Motorist's Association recently to promote "Left Lane Courtesy Month (June) Very good show. But Mike STILL had idiots call in to say that if they were doing the speed limit, they have a RIGHT to be in the left lane. They just don't get the science of traffic flow.

Soap box time: As a trucker, I see every day that both lane restrictions and split speed limits make our highways MORE dangerous, not less. Lane restrictions limit a trucker's ability to move over for merging traffic and create unnecessary lane changes as they move over for merging traffic then move back to get out of the way of faster trucks (Indy's I-465 and Atlanta's I-285 are really bad examples of this restriction) On a hill, if my trailer is empty and I can run the speed limit, why should I be stuck behind slower trucks (AND cars)??? Ticket drivers (of ANY vehicle) that camps out in the left lane. On hills, post minimum speeds for the left lane(s) Perfect situation: I-40 in Albuquerque, NM; Eastbound lanes are posted with minimum speeds and it works better than mandating lanes for certain types of traffic.
If you would like to see enforcement of the laws stepped up, I couldn't agree more . . .

I think that if you are driving 2 mph over the speed limit, you should be ticketed, and it should cost enough that handing out the tickets like candy would bring a positive revenue flow to the city/county . . . say $100 minimum.

After all, what does speed LIMIT mean? What part of that do people NOT UNDERSTAND? If people obeyed the clearly and prolifically posted speed limit signs (which I am certain almost always outnumber the SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT signs), then no one would have cause for road rage because someone - some "slowpoke" - was driving the speed limit in front of them!

Simple. Logical.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:53 AM

OK . . . so now some places have a "slower traffic keep right" law. What EXACTLY does that mean? Slower than WHO? There always seems to be someone out there driving 30 mph faster than the speed limit, so he - the law BREAKER - is the one who defines the legal meaning of the sign? And because he is speeding, the driver who is not speeding needs to be given a ticket?

Now THAT really makes sense!

Stop and think about it a bit. If the left lane is reserved BY LAW for people who have NO REGARD FOR THE LAW, then it is an open invitation to anarchy - which you actually already have in many places. That is where the road rage comes in.

Not only that, but the ambiguity of the sign, unless incorporated in the "whole body of the law" including speed limits, creates problems. As some of you would have it, people who drive the speed limit would be ticketed. As the law would have it, people who exceed the speed limits would be ticketed. So now, in the left lane at least, and probably the next lane a few years hence, people can be ticketed for speeding or not speeding, depending on what the traffic cop wants to do. Now it all depends on his/her mood. "I don't like that person's looks, I think I'll give them a ticket - impeding traffic if they are only doing the speed limit or a couple miles over, or speeding if they are doing more!"

That gives the police a LOT more power, and it's not based on whether or not someone is actually breaking a law, because now EVERYONE is breaking one law or the other!

LAWS need to be SPECIFIC, and NOT ambiguous.

Speed limits are SPECIFIC, at least in theory. The problem today is that they too have become ambiguous, with the "nine you're fine, ten you're MINE" (unless I feel otherwise) policy. So, the sign says "65" but it really means "74" but if 74 isn't speeding then why should 75, 76 or 77 be counted as speeding? Or 78 or 79 for that matter. And now, the person who obeys the law is counted as a "slowpoke," even by some legal jurisdictions that set the speed limits that the "slowpoke" is obeying (as he is supposed to be!) . . . again, that REALLY makes sense! (NOT!)

IT ISN'T THAT HARD TO OBEY THE SPEED LIMITS!! And speeding doesn't really save you that much time anyway. But it DOES increase the likelihood of a mishap, or a ticket, and those mishaps cost EVERYONE time, and lots of it! Next time you are hung up for a half hour or more in a jam resulting from an accident, ask yourself just how likely it is that the accident was caused by everyone paying attention and obeying the laws. And be honest about it.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:18 AM

So why did I take the handle "DoTheMath?" Because if you DO THE MATH you will realize that the person in front of you is NOT costing you that much time. You want to run him off the road, maybe even kill him, because he is slowing you down so much - HE'S the reason your late for work and might get fired? No - your own scheduling inadequacies did that. Stop blaming him for your issues - your tardiness, your weaving through traffic, your tailgating, your road rage. Those are YOUR issues and YOUR responsibility. And many of the problems arise because it is also YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to obey the laws, and until you accept that responsibility, you will have problems wherever you go.

So back to "do the math" :

"SLOWPOKE" SPEED . . . . . . . . DESIRED SPEED . . . . . . . . TIME LOST over a FULL MILE
65 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 75 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7.4 SECONDS (!)
65 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 85 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13 SECONDS
75 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 85 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5.6 SECONDS
75 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 95 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10.1 SECONDS

And you REALLY want to see him nailed to the wall, splattered across the highway, or whatever, as a result of this HUGE loss of your time?

If so, then YOU have a problem, and I would recommend that you recognize it for what it is, and deal with it.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:42 AM

33,181 posts, read 39,170,150 times
Every one knows the passing lane is for passing and while i dont mind people cruising in it if no one is around i find it extremely rude and ignorant to park yourself in that lane when you know full well its the passing lane and you are holding up others from passing,The usual response on the forum to justify this behaviour is "I'm doing the speed limit"". yeah well the 10 cars behind you arent so get over it and move out of the way.
I sometime wonder about the headspace of some one who will deliberately hold up other motorists from passing and i can come to just one conclusion, these people live such a feeble and pointless life devoid of any personal power that holding up passing motorists gives them a brief moment of power in their otherwise pathetic little lives.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:19 AM

7,246 posts, read 13,158,667 times
The point of "slower traffic keep right" laws is that there is no "slow lane" and "fast lane." It's all relative. Keep right unless passing a slower driver. Don't cruise the left-hand lane. It keeps traffic flowing much more smoothly. That law, just like speed limit laws, is pretty clear. Whether the person passing you on the left is going 2 mph faster than you or 50 mph is immaterial. Let the traffic cops sort that out. Depending on where you live, obeying the law may include both maintaining a speed below the posted limit AND keeping right. Why is it so hard to do both?

Old 05-09-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
The point of "slower traffic keep right" laws is that there is no "slow lane" and "fast lane." It's all relative. Keep right unless passing a slower driver. Don't cruise the left-hand lane. It keeps traffic flowing much more smoothly. That law, just like speed limit laws, is pretty clear. Whether the person passing you on the left is going 2 mph faster than you or 50 mph is immaterial. Let the traffic cops sort that out. Depending on where you live, obeying the law may include both maintaining a speed below the posted limit AND keeping right. Why is it so hard to do both?
Actually, it DOESN'T "depend on where you live!" Whether or not they are enforced (as they should be), "obeying the law" DOES include both laws, KEEP RIGHT (where there are keep right laws, which is NOT in my city) AND SPEED LIMITS - sometimes referred to as "the WHOLE BODY of the LAW." And if EVERYONE obeyed BOTH, in a crowded city, the left lane would be totally empty and unused - a total waste of taxpayer money! Not to mention . . .

My Driver's Ed instructor many years ago was a Colorado State Patrol officer. He told us (among other things, of course) that if you had several miles to travel on the city's highways, to STAY LEFT (doing the full speed limit) until you were within a couple of miles of your exit, IN ORDER TO KEEP THE RIGHT LANE CLEAR FOR MERGING TRAFFIC. Merging is one of the most dangerous maneuvers that needs to happen, so it is the RIGHT lane that really needs to be kept as clear as possible. And yes, if you are going 10 mph UNDER the speed limit, or your exit is up next, that is where you belong.

That made a LOT of sense to me then, and it still does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates