U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida to Illinois road trip, left lane bandits, enforcement of slower traffic keep right laws, road rage, truckers, passing lanes, tailgaters, written and unwritten laws of the highway

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 09:08 AM

7,244 posts, read 13,142,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheMath7 View Post
Actually, it DOESN'T "depend on where you live!" Whether or not they are enforced (as they should be), "obeying the law" DOES include both laws, KEEP RIGHT (where there are keep right laws, which is NOT in my city) AND SPEED LIMITS - sometimes referred to as "the WHOLE BODY of the LAW."
Right. So it depends on where you live because not every state has keep right laws.

Quote:
And if EVERYONE obeyed BOTH, in a crowded city, the left lane would be totally empty and unused - a total waste of taxpayer money!
Nope. The left lane would be used for passing which, past a certain volume of traffic, would naturally evolve into carrying a slightly faster traffic stream. If you move left to pass several cars but the right lane is too full for you to move back over, then of course you travel in the left lane. But when a safe spot opens in the right lane, you simply move back.

Quote:
My Driver's Ed instructor many years ago was a Colorado State Patrol officer. He told us (among other things, of course) that if you had several miles to travel on the city's highways, to STAY LEFT (doing the full speed limit) until you were within a couple of miles of your exit, IN ORDER TO KEEP THE RIGHT LANE CLEAR FOR MERGING TRAFFIC. Merging is one of the most dangerous maneuvers that needs to happen, so it is the RIGHT lane that really needs to be kept as clear as possible. And yes, if you are going 10 mph UNDER the speed limit, or your exit is up next, that is where you belong.

That made a LOT of sense to me then, and it still does.
Most of the cities of any size in which I've lived or spent much time had more than two lanes in either direction in the denser portions of town. That works out great. Far right for entering/exiting traffic, middle lane(s) for travel, left lane for passing. Nice clean flow.

Of course there are good reasons for using the left lane, but EVERY SINGLE DAY I see people on relatively clear roads with 3-4 lanes in either direction moving all the way over to the left-hand lane and proceeding to plod along at a relatively low speed, then move all the way BACK over to exit a few miles later. It's illogical, it's dangerous and it slows everyone else down.

Ride lane/pass lane is a much better policy.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:16 AM

30,325 posts, read 31,191,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan;34713890
Here is a [URL="http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html"
list of laws [/url]and a map of states color coded by law.

I support these laws. Slow left-lane drivers impede traffic and encourage dangerous right-hand passing. How hard is it to reserve the left lane for faster traffic?
In NY there are plenty of left lane bandits! NY Law clearly states: " 1120. Drive on right side of roadway" and then gives a list of exceptions to this rule (see http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LAWSSEAF.cgi?QUERYTYPE=LAWS+&QUERYDATA=$$VAT1120$$ @TXVAT01120+&LIST=LAW+&BROWSER=BROWSER+&TOKEN=1664 5200+&TARGET=VIEW).

Old 05-09-2014, 09:40 AM

86 posts, read 65,732 times
There are no LEFT LANE laws in my city, or if there are, they were just recently passed and there are NO signs posted along 40 miles of the highway I drive. But, as in ANY city, there are SPEED LIMIT signs - about one every mile, on average, along that stretch. For numerous reasons, including what my Driver's Ed instructor taught us (mentioned in my response to CarolinaBredChicagoan - please do read), I feel quite at liberty (that means FREEDOM, in case you didn't know) to drive in whatever lane I choose, and it will often be the left lane, because only in that lane can I set my cruise control (to the full speed limit) for the drive clear across town to work.

Now what amazes me, is how many people want me to obey a law that doesn't even exist here . . . But of course, THEY refuse to obey the laws that DO exist here.

Is that not HYPOCRISY? Please feel free to explain to me why that is not hypocrisy . .

I might also call it delusional, since they seem to be seeing signs that don't exist.

And whereas they accuse me of vigilantism because I drive the speed limit and people who choose to stay in the lane behind me are thus limited to the "limit" as well (shouldn't they be, anyway?), which is NOT vigilantism, but rather simple obedience to the law, THEY want to, and sometimes try to run me off the road. Now THAT, by definition, IS vigilantism.
So I will ALSO call them VIGILANTES.

For those who actually DO try to run me off the road (potentially resulting in my death) because I got in their way and cost them 3 or 4 seconds of time (see my earlier post on time vs speed), I might even suggest that - at least in their hearts - they are potential "cold-blooded murderers."

But now the laws are coming to FAVOR them. Wow. We DO live in dark times!

Old 05-09-2014, 09:56 AM

CarolinaBredChicagoan:

And when you see those "relatively slow" people in the left lane, how fast are they actually relatively slowly driving? You make little mention of speed limits, as if those are irrelevant. Why is that? Speed limits constitute one of the most fundamental elements of U.S. traffic laws. They are one of the longest standing, best established, most clearly stated and posted laws on the road in every state.

I would propose that if you obeyed the speed limit yourself, the "slowpokes" wouldn't bother you in the slightest. And if you do not obey speed limits, then you are hypocritical to criticize anyone else's driving, relative to law.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:08 AM

20,208 posts, read 28,247,490 times
Quote:
You are right about the existence of the "ME oriented society," but you are mistaken as to who is really exhibiting the "it's all about ME attitude." The very act of obeying the law is a recognition that the whole of society is more important than "me." If you refuse to obey the clearly posted speed limits, and even more, if you get angry at people who, as a result of their obedience to the laws, get in your way, . . . .

then the real narcissistic "ME" is YOU!
Seriously with the finger wagging? Apparently your comprehension skills are a bit off. I thought I was pretty clear in implying that it's about those who hold up the left lane driving below the speed limit without yielding to those who are driving at/below or slightly above the limit since the left lane is in fact for passing, which requires moving faster than the traffic on the right in order to pass in less than a few minutes.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:20 AM

Here's an experiment for anyone of you speeders to try - if you have the patience, which in all likelihood you do not, which is why you are speeders . . .

Set a period of time aside that is long enough to really experience the "other side's" perspective ("walk a mile in my shoes," so to speak), say 3 months, or even somewhat, but not too much less. In that time COMMIT to driving the speed limit, +/- 2 mph (with occasional unintentional lapses of a FEW mph). COMMIT to staying off the tailgate of the car in front of you, and using turn indicators and "head-checks" when changing lanes.

Drive in whatever lane you want. But try to set your mind to being patient with others on the road, and understanding that they are real people as well - not just cars - and speedometers are not all 100% accurate, with most reading HIGHER than the actual speed. DO, however, take note of the people who tailgate you, and understand, that they ARE TELLING YOU TO GET OUT OF THEIR WAY! In other words, they (who would likely, emphatically say "DON'T TELL ME HOW TO DRIVE!"), are telling you how to drive.

Now the results of this experiment cannot be called "scientific," because the results are, unavoidably, highly subjective. However, keep a journal, no matter how skimpy, and review it from time to time. What did you see? How did those around you treat you? Whose driving seems to be most likely to end up in an accident?

Old 05-09-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Seriously with the finger wagging? Apparently your comprehension skills are a bit off. I thought I was pretty clear in implying that it's about those who hold up the left lane driving below the speed limit without yielding to those who are driving at/below or slightly above the limit since the left lane is in fact for passing, which requires moving faster than the traffic on the right in order to pass in less than a few minutes.
So - if, when you pass and are thus in the left lane (again, no such laws here in my city), and you NEED to speed up (why?), what then is the speed limit in the left lane? It DOES have one, you know. So you suggest that your NEED to speed up means that you are legally bound to drive illegally . . . ?

Apparently "your comprehension skills are a bit off."

Old 05-09-2014, 10:32 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,644,299 times
If you are holding up traffic in the left lane and have a spot in the right lane to move over, then MOVE OVER.

This is common human courtesy, regardless of your own problems with "law breakers" going 5 mph over the limit. Someone wants to get past you, let them. In Texas (for example) on 2-laners drivers often pull over on the shoulder if you drive up on them. How nice is that? A hell of a lot nicer than some a-hole who won't move over just to prove a negligible point. You aren't law enforcement. You aren't my Daddy or Mama. MOVE OVER. I would do the same for you.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:33 AM

20,208 posts, read 28,247,490 times
Quote:
So - if, when you pass and are thus in the left lane (again, no such laws here in my city), and you NEED to speed up (why?), what then is the speed limit in the left lane? It DOES have one, you know. So you suggest that your NEED to speed up means that you are legally bound to drive illegally . . . ?

Apparently "your comprehension skills are a bit off."
Your comprehension skills and ability to communicate are apparently both at question here.

I'll use little words...

If car "A' is in the right lane going 65 miles per hour and car "B" is in the right lane going 65 mph, car "B" is going to want to either slow down to allow space or pass at a higher rate of speed in order to get ahead of car "A". Once past car "A' it can resume 65 mph in the right lane with enough space ahead of car "B"....without breaking the law.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:34 PM

11,895 posts, read 9,616,674 times
Nothing ticks me off than these idiots on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates