U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida to Illinois road trip, left lane bandits, enforcement of slower traffic keep right laws, road rage, truckers, passing lanes, tailgaters, written and unwritten laws of the highway

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 02:03 PM

7,244 posts, read 13,142,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheMath7 View Post
There are no LEFT LANE laws in my city, or if there are, they were just recently passed and there are NO signs posted along 40 miles of the highway I drive.
You mentioned Colorado before. Do you live in Colorado? If you do, there is most certainly a left lane law in your city.

Quote:
42-4-1013 (1) - Passing Lane (Left Lane Law) " A person shall not drive a motor vehicle in the passing lane of a highway if the speed limit is sixty-five miles per hour or more unless such person is passing other motor vehicles that are in a nonpassing lane or turning left, or unless the volume of traffic does not permit the motor vehicle to safetly merge into a nonpassing lane."

And if you do live someplace without such a law, then we're not talking about you.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:10 PM

86 posts, read 65,732 times
kyle19125 -

And I will "use little words" to reply. If car "B" is (intentionally) driving at the same speed as car "A" then car "B" has no real need to pass car "A." If car "B" passes, then pulls back into the lane, and slows to the same speed as car "A" then, presuming a 2-second following distance is maintained in both cases, what has been gained?

4 seconds! WOWZERS! That's really worth getting all hot and bothered over, now, isn't it??

(Oops - some bigger words slipped in there, do I need to define?)

Last edited by DoTheMath7; 05-09-2014 at 02:56 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 02:11 PM

Obeying the laws is a "common courtesy!" I would even say that it is the very FOUNDATION of "common courtesies."

Last edited by DoTheMath7; 05-09-2014 at 03:19 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 02:13 PM

CarolinaBredChicagoan -

Nope. I don't live in Colorado any more.

Last edited by DoTheMath7; 05-09-2014 at 02:52 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
If you are holding up traffic in the left lane and have a spot in the right lane to move over, then MOVE OVER.

This is common human courtesy, regardless of your own problems with "law breakers" going 5 mph over the limit. Someone wants to get past you, let them. In Texas (for example) on 2-laners drivers often pull over on the shoulder if you drive up on them. How nice is that? A hell of a lot nicer than some a-hole who won't move over just to prove a negligible point. You aren't law enforcement. You aren't my Daddy or Mama. MOVE OVER. I would do the same for you.
No - you wouldn't move over for me, because I won't be riding your tail, even if you are driving at or under the speed limit. I will keep the proper distance, and if you are driving notably slower than the speed limit, then when and if I find a safe and legal place to pass without speeding, I will signal my intentions and go. Where I live it is against the law to drive on the shoulder, and tickets have been issued to people who do that, even just to let another person pass. So, again (and again and again, ad nauseum) you think that I should break the law so that I can obey you - when you have no intention to even obey the well established laws, and have no patience or respect for me?

Kinda sounds like the definition of a "playground bully" to me. But this ain't no playground. About 35-40,000 people die EVERY YEAR on our own highways, and what I might call the "speeder's toolbox" (speeding, tailgating, frequent and improper passing, cutting in and out of tight spots, last second lane changes, running red lights and stop signs, road rage and the likes) is responsible for a lot of those deaths, whether or not the actual excessive speed is. So, you can bend the statistics, I know, but it remains a reality . . and I'm sure you know it.

So, answer to ALL of this? EASY! Be patient and SLOW DOWN. You mention "common courtesy," well, obeying the laws is about the best example I can think of, of extending "common courtesy." Pushing your way through traffic and tailgating is pretty far removed from "common courtesy!"

Old 05-09-2014, 02:48 PM

7,244 posts, read 13,142,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheMath7 View Post
Nope. I don't.
Okie dokie. Well, I posted a handy little list. If you live in one of those states and hang out in the left lane, you're breaking the law. No matter what anyone else is doing. If you don't, you're not and we're not talking to you.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:56 PM

5,793 posts, read 10,625,185 times
A friend that is a CHiPS officer once told me "10 and under, you're fine. 11 and over, you're mine"

COPs generally give a lot of leeway when traffic is moving, and nobody is acting like an arsehole.

He also hated the self appointed traffic nazis, who would drive the speed limit in the fast lane because "that's the law". He wished that he could pull them over for obstructing the flow.

A generally rule to live by is if someone is catching up to you while you are in the fast lane, DON'T BE AN ARSE, AND GET OUT OF THE WAY. Its not that hard to figure out.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
You mentioned Colorado before. Do you live in Colorado? If you do, there is most certainly a left lane law in your city.

And if you do live someplace without such a law, then we're not talking about you.
Thank you for "not talking about [me]." Well - YOU may or may not be, really, but many people on this post sure seem to be, whether or not there are left lane laws in place here. And it has become such a prevalent issue that even where it is not law, people (who don't obey the ubiquitous speed limits) expect you to obey the non-existent law - and ARE even willing to KILL over it . . . over the 5 or 10 seconds of lost time - that they may well have lost anyway, sitting at the light at the bottom of the exit ramp (THAT is "vigilantism" to the extreme!).

I JUST WANT PEOPLE TO THINK ABOUT WHAT THE REAL PROBLEM IS! It MOST DEFINITELY is NOT obeying the laws - including and perhaps most especially, the SPEED LIMITS.

Kinda like the idea of knowing who your REAL enemy is.

Locked in a huge, hours long traffic jam because of an accident? Do you really think that the accident happened because everyone was paying attention and obeying the laws?

AND BTW - I would just about GUARANTEE that whatever city or state you live in, there ARE speed limits.

Last edited by DoTheMath7; 05-09-2014 at 04:00 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
A friend that is a CHiPS officer once told me "10 and under, you're fine. 11 and over, you're mine"

COPs generally give a lot of leeway when traffic is moving, and nobody is acting like an arsehole.

He also hated the self appointed traffic nazis, who would drive the speed limit in the fast lane because "that's the law". He wished that he could pull them over for obstructing the flow.

A generally rule to live by is if someone is catching up to you while you are in the fast lane, DON'T BE AN ARSE, AND GET OUT OF THE WAY. Its not that hard to figure out.
That leeway is common, but unfortunately, it is not really that good of an idea. It's like training a dog, and saying "DON'T CROSS THIS LINE" (clearly demarcated), then ignoring it when it steps across by just a few feet, over and over again. You won't have a dog that understands or obeys.

Ambiguous laws are like that. SPEED LIMIT 65 : what does that mean? Does it really mean the speed limit is 75? or is it 80? Why even bother having speed limits, if they are not limits? Or why not post the REAL speed limit? Want the Autobahn here? OK, do away with the speed limits altogether. But then you still need SOMETHING to keep traffic from getting out of control and killing so many people. So implement another law in the place of speed limits: If you cause an accident, you are fined up one side and down the other, you loose your license and go to jail! Sounds like a reasonable trade off, no?

But in the meantime, we DO have speed limits. That is a major part of the established method of (attempted) traffic control here. Throw ambiguity into the mix, though, and people get confused and people get killed. They think they are obeying the 65 mph speed limit by driving 75 or 80! (Go figure!)

Ambiguous laws also leave the door open to abuse by law enforcement. "10 or under you're fine . . " (unless I'm in a bad mood!) Does that mean he CANNOT give a ticket for 5 mph over? If so, then the speed limit most definitely is not what is posted, but if he CAN give a ticket for 5 over, then he can probably ticket just about anyone he wants to, for whatever reason he wants to. Maybe he doesn't like the color of your skin. TICKET!

The left lane laws are the worst of the bunch when it comes to ambiguity. Just exactly how much time do I have in the left lane before I need to move right again? Just exactly how fast am I allowed to go to pass those cars? How close do I need to be to the car in front of me before passing should be done? How much faster than him should I be going before I decide I need to pass? How far in front of him after passing him should I be before I return to that lane?

I pass car after car while driving the FULL speed limit (even plus a little, as recommended by the local police) in the left lane, and STILL I get people tailgating and flashing lights at me. So, I have pulled to the right lane BETWEEN the vehicles I was passing, and had to hit my breaks and slow down to notably LESS than the speed limit so the crazy behind me could keep on ignoring the law. Is THAT what the highways are supposed to look like?

Old 05-09-2014, 05:43 PM

Sorry - didn't even bother to look at your list, because whether or not my state is on the list is immaterial. My CITY's police told me that no such law applies here, and confirmed that there are ZERO "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT" OR "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS" signs within the city. There are probably a hundred or more speed limit signs however, just along the interstates alone.

So thank you for taking the time to compile your list, but alas, it is a moot point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates