U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

Florida to Illinois road trip, left lane bandits, enforcement of slower traffic keep right laws, road rage, truckers, passing lanes, tailgaters, written and unwritten laws of the highway

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-12-2014, 11:07 AM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,805 posts, read 16,992,719 times
Reputation: 8981

Advertisements

With all the different kinds of alarm clocks, smartphones with alarms, you would think people would figure out how to get up a little earlier for work... they are rushing to work and now we have to listen to them cry about everyone who got in their way.. "wahh! this car wouldn't move out of my way! waahhh!!"

 
Old 05-12-2014, 03:50 PM
 
86 posts, read 65,769 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
With all the different kinds of alarm clocks, smartphones with alarms, you would think people would figure out how to get up a little earlier for work... they are rushing to work and now we have to listen to them cry about everyone who got in their way.. "wahh! this car wouldn't move out of my way! waahhh!!"
But they have to have SOMEONE to blame it on! Surely you don't expect THEM to take responsibility for their OWN lack of planning and scheduling.

Unfortunately it seems that too many people in places of power these days have the same problem, and want to legitimize the crybaby complaints about people who are willing to obey the laws. So the result? Laws that essentially say it is OK to break the laws . . and lanes dedicated, by law, to those who do.

So - well said! But which do you think they are really more likely to do, get up 5 minutes earlier, or just try to run everyone else off the road?

I'd bet on the latter, I'm sad to say.

I met a kid - 11 at the time - who had been paraplegic since he was 4, precisely because of what you address here. Someone "in a hurry to get to work on time" ran into his dad's car. Killed dad and put the 4-year-old kid in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. And somehow, I doubt the other driver made it to work on time.
 
Old 05-15-2014, 01:28 AM
 
Location: Newark DE
25 posts, read 32,799 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
With all the different kinds of alarm clocks, smartphones with alarms, you would think people would figure out how to get up a little earlier for work... they are rushing to work and now we have to listen to them cry about everyone who got in their way.. "wahh! this car wouldn't move out of my way! waahhh!!"
For me it has nothing to do with rushing, but how fast I like to to drive. What's wrong with you getting over and continuing at your speed and me passing at mine? Why force someone to weave around you?

What's REALLY annoying is when left lane bandits speed up when you're trying to pass them on right and then slow down again when you're back behind them
 
Old 05-15-2014, 01:33 AM
 
Location: Newark DE
25 posts, read 32,799 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheMath7 View Post
But they have to have SOMEONE to blame it on! Surely you don't expect THEM to take responsibility for their OWN lack of planning and scheduling.

Unfortunately it seems that too many people in places of power these days have the same problem, and want to legitimize the crybaby complaints about people who are willing to obey the laws. So the result? Laws that essentially say it is OK to break the laws . . and lanes dedicated, by law, to those who do.

So - well said! But which do you think they are really more likely to do, get up 5 minutes earlier, or just try to run everyone else off the road?

I'd bet on the latter, I'm sad to say.

I met a kid - 11 at the time - who had been paraplegic since he was 4, precisely because of what you address here. Someone "in a hurry to get to work on time" ran into his dad's car. Killed dad and put the 4-year-old kid in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. And somehow, I doubt the other driver made it to work on time.


Yeah and I'm sure the slow, oblivious drives who camp in the left lane have also caused many wrecks from people trying to weave around them. Yes, people break the speed limit. GET OVER IT. It's not your job to patrol the roads and force everybody to go the speed you want them to.
 
Old 05-17-2014, 02:09 PM
 
86 posts, read 65,769 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxonhh View Post
Yeah and I'm sure the slow, oblivious drives who camp in the left lane have also caused many wrecks from people trying to weave around them. Yes, people break the speed limit. GET OVER IT. It's not your job to patrol the roads and force everybody to go the speed you want them to.
"Yes, people break the speed limit. GET OVER IT."

And those people (who break the speed limit laws) complain when others break the "left lane laws." So why do >> I << need to get over people breaking the speed limits, but you continue to harp on people who "break" the left lane laws, that don't even exist in many areas (like my city)? What right do YOU have to tell me what lane to drive in, if you won't obey the established speed limits? That is the epitome of HYPOCRISY.

It is not >> I << who want "everybody to go the speed (that I) want them to" it is the LAW. I did not set the speed limits.

And as for me "forcing people to weave around me" . . . . REALLY?? . . . THEIR foot is on their gas pedal. THEIR hands are on their steering wheels. THEY choose how fast they drive; whether or not they are going to tailgate; whether or not they are going to change lanes; whether or not they are going to signal their move; and on and on! I don't make a single one of those decisions for them!!

DON'T BLAME THEIR CHOICES (or YOUR choices) ON ME! That is the epitome of IRRESPONSIBILITY!

And when THEY (or YOU) cause an accident by the choices THEY made, it is NOT MY FAULT, or the fault of any other driver that is paying attention and obeying the laws.

Last edited by DoTheMath7; 05-17-2014 at 02:56 PM..
 
Old 05-18-2014, 05:18 PM
 
382 posts, read 458,333 times
Reputation: 227
Not sure if this report came up in prior posts. Found it via google...a Canadian major TV network reported on the "left lane bandit" problem in Vancouver. Write up and links to two broadcast segments here...

Left Lane Bandits

The economist from California quoted in this report alludes to the fact that this is not a priority for law enforcement who are more interested (i.e. it is easier and more profitable) in enforcing limits (i.e. speed limits - as in, radar).

I suspect that is also why governments will never be interested in funding studies that would prove the case that this practice is dangerous, even as the logic says it is (good explanation provided in the article and is likely the thinking behind European lawmakers - wonder if they have studies? - would like to see links if anyone has them).

There was a man who lived in the DC suburbs that earned his own Wikipedia entry for this behavior:

John Nestor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He also happened to be employed by the FDA in the section that approves drugs. He was moved from the cardio-reno-pulmunary division that he was assigned to because their approval rate fell far below other western nations, during four of the years he was assigned there.

http://www.jpands.org/vol15no4/kazman.pdf

I would suggest that this kind of behavior reflects a line of thinking in these people that permeates beyond the road.
 
Old 05-18-2014, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Beacon Falls, CT
363 posts, read 290,494 times
Reputation: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxonhh View Post
Yeah and I'm sure the slow, oblivious drives who camp in the left lane have also caused many wrecks from people trying to weave around them. Yes, people break the speed limit. GET OVER IT. It's not your job to patrol the roads and force everybody to go the speed you want them to.
It's not your job to react by tailgating and acting aggressively and maniacal either. If you get that nutty as a result of left lane hogs, you should either get someone else to drive for you, get a cab or work out those anger issues before you get behind the wheel because you are just as much a hazard to those around you as the very people you complain about. "He's in the wrong, I'll show him. I'll ride his rear bumper, intimidate him, whatever it takes." That mentality gets you nowhere, fast.
 
Old 05-18-2014, 05:49 PM
 
86 posts, read 65,769 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted99 View Post
I would suggest that this kind of behavior reflects a line of thinking in these people that permeates beyond the road.
I would suggest that the SPEEDING EPIDEMIC that leads to so many traffic deaths every year "permeates beyond the road."
 
Old 05-18-2014, 05:57 PM
 
86 posts, read 65,769 times
Reputation: 49
Here it is "in a nutshell;"

You tell me that I don't have a right to drive in the left lane because I obey the speed limits (regardless of the fact that there are no "left lane laws" in my city, but speed limit signs abound!).

In reality, YOU DON'T HAVE A RIGHT TO DRIVE ON ANY ROAD IN ANY LANE IF YOU REFUSE TO OBEY THE SPEED LIMITS!!

Hypocrite!
 
Old 05-18-2014, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
20,344 posts, read 20,441,018 times
Reputation: 31588
actually it is my (secret) job to control the speed limit. When I first got my license, the old guy behind the counter took me aside and said he was making me one of his "secret deputies" and it was a great honor and he was depending on me to keep people from speeding by blocking the left lane. So what can I do? He really seemed like he needed my help.

Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba-Baaaah! Hold on there Speedy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top