U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida to Illinois road trip, left lane bandits, enforcement of slower traffic keep right laws, road rage, truckers, passing lanes, tailgaters, written and unwritten laws of the highway

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 09:32 PM

11,898 posts, read 9,624,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheMath7 View Post
So, SPEED LIMIT LAWS are more like "speed suggestions ... and the minimum at that?"
You've got to be kidding!!

If this is what you believe, then on what basis do you judge ANYONE (as you do, talking about "a**holes" who weave in and out of traffic and exceed 90 mph)? You make it clear that YOU decide what the laws should be, and that is what applies - but other people don't have that same option . . . ? You just destroyed the entire purpose and power of the law, and replaced it with an opinion, but think YOURS is the one that counts. How incredibly egotistical! On what basis do you set 90 mph as being excessive? Don't others have the right to think that "excessive" doesn't kick in until you reach 150 mph, and still others to think it is fine to drive 35 in the left lane? That type of thinking, held by many thousands of people is why so many Americans (including children who have never been behind the wheel of a car) die every year on our highways (half a MILLION, since 2000, not to mention the amputees, paralyzed, etc.).

Traffic laws are NECESSARY, and quite reasonable. When everyone interprets the laws however they want, and drive however they want (as you seem to advocate), then others don't know what to expect from them, and accidents and dead people result.
I know it's "the law" but most cops allow 7-10 above the speed limit before they pull someone over, unless they are really driving recklessly. Truth is there is so much more to worry about than someone speeding…

I have met cops (I know a bunch) who will say to my face that they allow people to go 10 above before they will pull over. Anything under, an even sometimes a bit over, is just fine. I don't decide what the law should be - lawmakers do, and cops enforce it. Cops choose to enforce what they want when they want and often, speeding 10-15 above isn't that big a deal to them, especially on highways. Perfect example of cops choosing what to enforce is Kyleigh's Law in NJ - a 16 year old named Kyleigh D'Alessio got into a packed car, didn't wear her seatbelt, the car crashed, she was ejected from it and died. Now, it's the law in NJ for anyone with a provisional license (under 21) to have a reflective orange sticker on their license plate so everyone knows a young person is driving, so cops can more easily check to make sure they're following the law (law in NJ for provisional drivers includes no driving between 11 pm-5 am, no driving with more than one person in the car, things like that) and pull them over if need be. Do the cops enforce this? Nope. It's the biggest fail of a traffic related law I have ever seen. Most don't use the sticker, and most also think it's discriminatory to make young people use an identifying sticker (not to mention creepy, as girls have been followed and one was even raped because the guy knew she was a minor) most cops don't fine the driver $100 if caught not wearing the sticker. Point is - some laws aren't always worth enforcing. Speeding is one of them. I have driven by cops going 10 above on a residential road numerous times and have yet to be pulled over. I have driven by state troopers on NJ highways going 75 in a 55 AND 65 and have yet to be pulled over. So no, I don't make the laws, but I also don't enforce them. And clearly those who do feel the need to worry about more important issues than those who speed.

None of this changes the fact that if you're driving the speed limit or under in the left lane, ignorant to those riding up behind you trying to hint at you to move out of the way, you're the biggest a-hole on the planet. Not sorry.

I don't know, maybe it's just different in NJ. We are known to be very aggressive drivers, along with New York. Speeding here is a way of life. So is riding those Pennsylvanians who go 50 in the left lane…

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 05-18-2014 at 09:48 PM..

Old 05-19-2014, 09:01 AM

86 posts, read 65,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I know it's "the law" but most cops allow 7-10 above the speed limit before they pull someone over, unless they are really driving recklessly. Truth is there is so much more to worry about than someone speeding…
And frankly, that is one of the problems . . AMBIGUITY! Try training a dog that way. "DON'T CROSS THIS LINE!" . . . But wait until he is three feet over the line before you respond one time, two feet another, five feet another, and then six inches another time. Are you going to succeed?

But that's dogs, and neat little training tricks. When you do the same thing with people behind the wheels of 3-80,000 pound vehicles, you end up with dead people, dead dogs, dead children, children who survive with their arms and legs ripped off, and on and on. HALF A MILLION DEAD PEOPLE SINCE 2000!

Glad you think there are so many other more important things to think about - NOT!

Quote:
Point is - some laws aren't always worth enforcing. Speeding is one of them. I have driven by cops going 10 above on a residential road numerous times and have yet to be pulled over. I have driven by state troopers on NJ highways going 75 in a 55 AND 65 and have yet to be pulled over. So no, I don't make the laws, but I also don't enforce them. And clearly those who do feel the need to worry about more important issues than those who speed.
None of this changes the fact that if you're driving the speed limit or under in the left lane, ignorant to those riding up behind you trying to hint at you to move out of the way, you're the biggest a-hole on the planet. Not sorry.
Nor do I enforce them. I merely OBEY them, in whatever lane I LEGALLY OCCUPY. So, if you are behind me and choose to stay behind me, then until you decide to ram me and run me off the road, you are limited by the fact of my presence. TOUGH ! (as you say: "Not sorry") People here will and do tailgate in EVERY lane, and I am not going to keep changing lanes, right to left, left to right, just to placate their aggressive behavior. Tailgating is not a "hint at you to move out of the way," it is YELLING at you, waving a potentially lethal weapon, to "GET THE **** OUTA MY WAY!!"

Quote:
I don't know, maybe it's just different in NJ. We are known to be very aggressive drivers, along with New York. Speeding here is a way of life. So is riding those Pennsylvanians who go 50 in the left lane…
Sounds to me like you are saying that NJ drivers have got some mental issues. Aggressive behavior (let alone "very aggressive") isn't a bragging point, it is a mental problem, a DISEASE, whether it is in the classroom, on the playground, or on the highway. The best way to address mental problems, such as aggression, is to recognize them for what they are, and deal with them as such!

A good start? Realize that you aren't really saving that much time by speeding, and slow down. Respect and appreciate people who choose to drive according to the laws, and GIVE THEM SPACE. Give yourself space - leave in time to get to where you are going without having to RELY on breaking all the laws along the way, and stop blaming "slowpokes" (who drive the full posted speed limit) for your own tardiness, when you fail to do so. Get "up and out" five minutes earlier! "SLOW DOWN - and take time to smell the roses!"

Last edited by DoTheMath7; 05-19-2014 at 09:27 AM..

Old 05-19-2014, 09:23 AM

33,143 posts, read 39,103,690 times
Everyone knows the left lane on highways is for passing, if you are in that lane holding up traffic you know full well what those behind you are thinking,while said individual may claim that he is rightfully doing the speed limit we all know thats just an excuse to perpetrate some childish little control freak issue on all the other drivers on the road.I view it as something akin to a little powertrip in their othewise pathetic little lives, a veritable road troll ,enjoy your little moment of glory..

I also have to take issue with these road hogs term of speed demon, theres speeders then theres speeders, someone passing you doing double the speed limit i agree is a speed demon, then theres the majority of drivers who just happen to be going just a bit faster than you,,Speed demons?cmon get a life..

Last edited by jambo101; 05-19-2014 at 09:38 AM..

Old 05-19-2014, 11:24 AM

814 posts, read 896,639 times
Quote:
Nor do I enforce them. I merely OBEY them, in whatever lane I LEGALLY OCCUPY.
It's illegal in most states to be using the left lane as a travel lane (in some states - Idaho and Oregon, off the top of my head - it's even illegal to have a certain number of cars stacked up behind you). So if you're in the left lane and not actively passing someone, you're actually not legally occupying it. So yes, you would be obligated to get out of the way for someone who is trying to pass you. The excessive speed or rude behavior of the car trying to pass you doesn't change that. It's not your place to try to teach lessons.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Everyone knows the left lane on highways is for passing, if you are in that lane . . . we all know thats just an excuse to perpetrate some childish little control freak issue on all the other drivers on the road.
"Childish little control freak issue"?

What do you call it when people are essentially yelling at you to "GET THE **** OUTA MY WAY!"?? And telling you to obey laws (many of which they refuse to obey), even when the laws they want you to obey are non-existent (like in my city)? That ISN'T a "control freak issue"? Only in this case, there is nothing "childish" about it - it ends up in DEAD PEOPLE!

Open your eyes!

Quote:
I view it as something akin to a little powertrip in their othewise pathetic little lives, a veritable road troll ,enjoy your little moment of glory..
Hmmm . . . "right back at ya!"

Last edited by DoTheMath7; 05-19-2014 at 12:12 PM..

Old 05-19-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
It's illegal in most states to be using the left lane as a travel lane (in some states - Idaho and Oregon, off the top of my head . .
Not in the city where I live and drive!

Quote:
It's not your place to try to teach lessons.
And YOU (particularly if you tailgate) are doing what, exactly . . ?

Last edited by DoTheMath7; 05-19-2014 at 12:09 PM..

Old 05-19-2014, 12:08 PM

Cancer is an aggressive disease, and aggression is a cancerous disease!

Old 05-19-2014, 12:34 PM

814 posts, read 896,639 times
Quote:
Not in the city where I live and drive!
It's in the U.S. Uniform Vehicle Code as well:

Quote:
Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic
So while maybe not specifically a legal mandate where you live, it's abundantly clear that ANYWHERE in this country, willfully refusing to yield the left lane to faster-moving traffic whenever possible just makes you a jerk, at the very least.

Quote:
And YOU (particularly if you tailgate) are doing what, exactly . . ?
I don't agree with tailgating, either. It's stupid and dangerous. But it takes everyone practicing courteous and appropriate behavior to enhance the experience and safety of highway driving, and that includes you not trying to be a speed limit enforcement vigilante.

Aggressive drivers are absolutely a huge problem, but all you're doing when you act like that is just feeding the beast. Maybe you secretly get a kick out of that deep down, who knows.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:52 PM

382 posts, read 458,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
It's in the U.S. Uniform Vehicle Code as well:

So while maybe not specifically a legal mandate where you live, it's abundantly clear that ANYWHERE in this country, willfully refusing to yield the left lane to faster-moving traffic whenever possible just makes you a jerk, at the very least.

I don't agree with tailgating, either. It's stupid and dangerous. But it takes everyone practicing courteous and appropriate behavior to enhance the experience and safety of highway driving, and that includes you not trying to be a speed limit enforcement vigilante.

Aggressive drivers are absolutely a huge problem, but all you're doing when you act like that is just feeding the beast. Maybe you secretly get a kick out of that deep down, who knows.
Nailed it!

I don't know about individual motivations, but there are plenty of videos on youtube that show left lane bandits in action.

I believe the majority are just careless drivers and don't think about the consequences of their choices (i.e. that they owe other drivers a level of awareness of their surroundings and that they too must share the road and can behave in ways that optimize efficiency for the whole vs optimize it for themselves)...not much different from those who are recklessly speeding or aggressive - both are public endangerments (and if they are ignorant on this count, how many other instances are they unaware and put others in danger while driving?)

For those who intentionally do this, the arguments I've seen here amount to "two wrongs make a right"...pretty weak, IMHO.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:17 PM

11,898 posts, read 9,624,570 times
Quote:
And frankly, that is one of the problems . . AMBIGUITY! Try training a dog that way. "DON'T CROSS THIS LINE!" . . . But wait until he is three feet over the line before you respond one time, two feet another, five feet another, and then six inches another time. Are you going to succeed?

But that's dogs, and neat little training tricks. When you do the same thing with people behind the wheels of 3-80,000 pound vehicles, you end up with dead people, dead dogs, dead children, children who survive with their arms and legs ripped off, and on and on. HALF A MILLION DEAD PEOPLE SINCE 2000!

Glad you think there are so many other more important things to think about - NOT!

Nor do I enforce them. I merely OBEY them, in whatever lane I LEGALLY OCCUPY. So, if you are behind me and choose to stay behind me, then until you decide to ram me and run me off the road, you are limited by the fact of my presence. TOUGH ! (as you say: "Not sorry") People here will and do tailgate in EVERY lane, and I am not going to keep changing lanes, right to left, left to right, just to placate their aggressive behavior. Tailgating is not a "hint at you to move out of the way," it is YELLING at you, waving a potentially lethal weapon, to "GET THE **** OUTA MY WAY!!"

Sounds to me like you are saying that NJ drivers have got some mental issues. Aggressive behavior (let alone "very aggressive") isn't a bragging point, it is a mental problem, a DISEASE, whether it is in the classroom, on the playground, or on the highway. The best way to address mental problems, such as aggression, is to recognize them for what they are, and deal with them as such!

A good start? Realize that you aren't really saving that much time by speeding, and slow down. Respect and appreciate people who choose to drive according to the laws, and GIVE THEM SPACE. Give yourself space - leave in time to get to where you are going without having to RELY on breaking all the laws along the way, and stop blaming "slowpokes" (who drive the full posted speed limit) for your own tardiness, when you fail to do so. Get "up and out" five minutes earlier! "SLOW DOWN - and take time to smell the roses!"
You are incredibly dramatic and way too worked up about this. Simply put, if someone's riding your as$ in the left lane, get out of the way. End of story. People speed. If you don't like it, get off the road and never drive again because you're never going to have your way. Self-rightoeusly yelling at everyone who doesn't go exactly the speed limit or under will just cause people to laugh at your ridiculousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates