Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:34 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I certainly think we should move towards a parliamentary system where the head of state and the head of government are seperate positions. It would also allow for 3rd parties to have actual political power.
So the Schwarzennegger/Shriver/Kennedy's would get heritable "head of state" right off the bat, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 04:43 PM

103 posts, read 95,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
I agree to a point. Its two problems. One, the spoiled child syndrome that started during the baby boomers and has gone on until today. Second, people don't stop and listen to others.

I have argued and argued since I first read the AZ bill that it is unconstitutional. I didn't even voice my opinion about illegal immigration,I have just stated to my friends that it is unconstitutional. Without skipping a beat, my friends have accused me of being anti-american and supporting illegals. I had to back up and explain to them that it has nothing to do with that, I never expressed my opinion to them about illegals just that the bill is unconstitutional. These people equated my feeling that the bill was unconstitutional to supporting illegals. I had to explain over and over that I do not support illegals being in this country, however this bill is not the solution. People don't listen.

The Prop 8 bill in Ca. Is the spoiled child syndrome. How does Steve and Steve getting married effect me? How does it effect your daughter? Is it going to turn her gay? Is our entire society going to crumble into dust because we let two gay people who love each other, and will most likely get a divorce anyway, marry? Do people really have that much time on their hands to go and protest for or against this? These people were born spoiled, they have received everything they wanted from mommy and daddy and can't not accept when they lose.

What makes our country so great was the natural change in power from one person to another or one party to another. People realized and accepted when they have lost, and worked with each other to make the country better. One of the few times that the losing group didn't want to accept what happened lead to the civil war. What is missing today is the people we elect refuse to work to make the country better. One side would rather say no for 2 years or 4 years because they know another election is coming and if the country is in that bad shape because nothing has gotten done, power will change hands.

Its like the old saying Congress is horrible, we need to vote them all out, except for my Congressman he is doing a wonderful job.
Allowing the redifinition of marriage to include people of the same sex sews the seeds of destruction that that foundational institution, so, yes, it hurts, you, me, your sons and your daughters. Marriage is important to a functioning society. Debasing it weakens it and will result in the crumbling of society over time.

Kinda like not letting overly-heavy trucks on a road. No particular truck will ruin the street, but over time, the road will crumble under the excessive load.

Big picture, my friend, big picture. Society didn't ban a form of marriage, it just said "no" to a redefinition of it.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:00 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Is the time for Democracy over in this country?

Actually, we are a republic, not a democracy. We vote for people who vote for us. We do not actually vote for our president, we vote for people to go to the electorial college and they vote for a president for us. We do not vote on issues, we vote for the congressmen and senators who vote for those issues for us. Even our Pledge of Allegiance states " ....and to the republic for which it stands....".

Old 10-04-2010, 09:04 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcElwee View Post
Allowing the redifinition of marriage to include people of the same sex sews the seeds of destruction that that foundational institution, so, yes, it hurts, you, me, your sons and your daughters. Marriage is important to a functioning society. Debasing it weakens it and will result in the crumbling of society over time.

Kinda like not letting overly-heavy trucks on a road. No particular truck will ruin the street, but over time, the road will crumble under the excessive load.

Big picture, my friend, big picture. Society didn't ban a form of marriage, it just said "no" to a redefinition of it.
Ah yes, Sophistry, such an interesting tool to watch in action.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:59 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcElwee View Post

Rampant divorce and out of wedlock child rearing by heterosexuals has hurt the institution of marriage more than gays ever could.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:34 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post

Actually, we are a republic, not a democracy. We vote for people who vote for us. We do not actually vote for our president, we vote for people to go to the electorial college and they vote for a president for us. We do not vote on issues, we vote for the congressmen and senators who vote for those issues for us. Even our Pledge of Allegiance states " ....and to the republic for which it stands....".
Huh? A country can't be both a Republic and a democracy??? That's news to me! I don't know what these kids learn in schools these days...
Quote:
A republic is a form of government in which the people or some portion thereof retain supreme control over the government, and in which the head of government is not a monarch.
Quote:
Democracy is a political form of government in which governing power is derived from the people, either by direct referendum (direct democracy) or by means of elected representatives of the people (representative democracy).
The voting system is a democratic one even if we vote for people that elect our president! If we want we can change that system! A lot of democratic countries changed their systems even in the last years.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:58 PM

9 posts, read 8,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
That's exactly what I was getting at. A legislative (or judicial) super-majority is unquestionably a bad thing for this nation regardless of the dominant ideology.

I disagree completely in every conceivable respect. I want the filibuster permanently outlawed even if those in the majority are my sworn enemies. That's because l would want them to enact the very laws which will cause them to lose re-election. Alternatively and ideally, I would want those who are in the majority to be re-elected until they demonstrate that they cannot do the job. As it is now, the electorate will never be able to ACCURATELY determine for whom they should cast their votes.

What we have now is a Congress which can never demonstrate either competence or incompetence, because of the filibuster. In fact, it's a government which can never take anything but half measures, even when it's moving ever so slowly in the direction of removing past half-measures. You may believe that a government which cannot govern is best, but it's the worst possible kind of government anyone could ever begin to tolerate, and if it persists, it must be destroyed. Actually, if it persists, it WILL be destroyed and we'll adopt a fully authoritarian model of governance as a direct reaction to the dithering incompetence model we've been suffering under for decades now.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post

Once again, a 'republic' is a government. That's it. It means nothing more or less. Some people have relatively recently attempted to redefine the word 'republic' to mean a generally non-monarchical form of government, but that was never traditionally true of the term. It has no meaning as any possible meaning might pertain to a TYPE of government.

The type of government we have in the U.S. is a REPRESENTATIVE DEMOCRACY. We do not actually vote for members of the electoral college either. They are APPOINTED to carry out the wishes of the electorate in any given state. It's a pointless exercise and we used to vote for the electors, but the electoral college is irrelevant except as it pertains to giving an advantage to empty land at the ballot box.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The filbuster's popularity rises and falls among political partisans congruently with its efficacy in blocking those partisans' political projects. Should the future someday witness an overwhelming GOP Senate majority, those of a liberal mindset will proclaim the absolute necessity of the filibuster as vociferously as they currently condemn it.

I.e., ox gored? Whose?

Jefferson wrote "That government is best which governs least." The filibuster, which restricts unfettered activism and demands compromise, puts his wisdom into practice.

It is up to the electorate to determine how much so-called 'compromise' is necessary after any given election cycle. We don't elect Senators to make that determination for us and the concept has never been part of the Constitution or American law.

And, as much as Jefferson may have contributed good ideas during his life, he also contributed a few real pigs. Of course he wanted a government which didn't affect him in any way. He was already among the wealthy rulers of the country, even if he ran his operation so badly that he was nearly bankrupt when he died. When you're running the show, you don't want anyone to question your authority.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:20 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
The Prop 8 bill in Ca. Is the spoiled child syndrome. How does Steve and Steve getting married effect me? How does it effect your daughter? Is it going to turn her gay? Is our entire society going to crumble into dust because we let two gay people who love each other, and will most likely get a divorce anyway, marry? Do people really have that much time on their hands to go and protest for or against this? These people were born spoiled, they have received everything they wanted from mommy and daddy and can't not accept when they lose.
This is a perfect example of how issues are distorted in order to use our own Constitution against the people it is supposed to empower.
The issue is not about the right to marry, and it is not about if society will crumble or not.
What it is about the peoples right to define what the institution of marriage is and is not. The institution of marriage has been a foundation of human culture for thousands of years. It is an important issue and not to be trivialized.
If homosexuals want a parallel relationship which embodies the same legal rights as marriage that is something that would be acceptable to all, but to change the definition of marriage, and then shove that definition down the throats of people who do not accept it, is the absolute contradiction of democracy.
While it has been pointed out correctly we are a Republic, democracy is a mechanism within the Republican form of government that insures power ultimately remains in the hands of the people.
The agenda here is transparent, it is to force society to accept and normalize a practice that is anything but normal.
The reason it has achieved any degree of credibility rests with the fact that the American public, is sorely lacking in education concerning the mechanics of our government, history, and the philosophies that the country was founded on. What was once referred to as common sense, is now more uncommon that the American Buffalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates