Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:50 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,674,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
As an aside, I owned a high school history book from 1915. In the introduction it said how it would be examining the cultural and historical contributions of many cultures except for the ones from the black race because they were insignificant. Wow...
LOL...NOW do you see what some of us here are trying to say? Look, I'm not here to beat a dead horse, or play the 'race card', or the 'victim card' (did I cover 'em all? LOL)...

But stuff like that has been going on, in some way shape or form, for years on end now...also, I really think the main concern of folks 'protesting' as it were about Miller on this thread, is that the young folk attending are being taught about the black culture and history ONLY, as opposed to being inclusive of OTHER cultures and histories as well...your history book is just a small example of things that go on, overtly and covertly, every day...

I understand why the curriculum at Miller is what it is---an attempt to show the young folk that their culture and history are NOT insignificant...but I also fervently hope that they are being taught fundamentals as well...that would be an ideal outcome, to these old eyes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 11:11 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,269,958 times
Since AC schools are a reletivley new concept, it will be interesting to see the finished product in 10 yrs or so.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:20 PM

34 posts, read 36,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
Most schools in this country teach nothing but one race and one culture. Would you agree that up until recent times, 99% of all public schools were racist for teaching white history only? Free your mind!

Was it taught as white history or was it taught as history where the majority of players were white? Big, big difference there mind of the free.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:59 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,764,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
Will you listen to yourself? I hope you don't pass your 1830s mindset onto your children. You'll have them growing up thinking all white people live on plantations and have hundreds of slaves. Instead of preaching the words of MLK and content of character, blacks now have people like you telling their kids that appearances do matter. No wonder black kids grow up and before they're even 13 believe that America hates them and that they'll never have a fair shot because the white folks are holding them back. What a sad, sick society we live in.
No where did I allude to that; that is purely your own conjecture.

The reason why appearance continues to matter is because people still look random 'X' minority person, and proceed to come up with their own conclusions about them. Conclusions that are 99% of the time based on steretypes I run into this myself all of the time. Just this past weekend, someone remarked to me, "Wow, you talk very well for a Black person!"

You have got to be kidding me!

I am sorry, but I fail to understand these types of comments. I am free from being without prejudice -- in that I am a continual work-in-process (at least I am more than willing to admit that). But I would never, EVER look at a White person and make any type of judgement in regards to their intelligence or lack-thereof. Yet this happens to me far too often (every few months it seems). I have seen it happen to my Black co-workers as well.

Oh, and before you think that I am some type of closest Black Panther or something, in my first semester in college in Florida, I ran into an interesting situation. I befriended a very cool guy from South Carolina who was intelligent, nothing but polite to me....basically a great friend. We were getting ready to go out one night and he grabbed his jacket. Then as we were walking out of the dorm, he wanted to turn and take the jacket back. I asked him why and he said that he forgot that the sleeve had a Confederate Flag patch on it. He figured that I would be upset if I saw it. I explained to him that I could care less. A flag is nothing but a flag...who cares. It is what you use the flag to represent and the point that you are trying to make with it that makes a difference.

On top of that I lived in West Virginia; a place whose residents get talked about all the time. Whatever name...hillbilly, trailer trash, White trash...you name it. But guess what. You have brillant, non-inbred West Virginians. Is that so hard to believe? Do you think every resident of WV is embracing that stereotype? Do you think I moved there with the thought in my head that it would be hell on earth for me because there were few Black people around? No, not a chance! Yet listen to how many White people talk about just driving through Black neighborhoods. Umm....yeah.

So before you think that every Black person who complains about racism is pulling the race card every time the wind blows, you may just want to check to see if all of YOUR eggs are in order. Until you can see the world through our eyes, you play the fool to think that you have the right to give judgement in the matter.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Barlow View Post
I guess all I can add after reading this thread is the school seems to be designed for the benefit of ONE specific race of people. If that doesn't qualify as racist, then I don't know what does.
How is an Afrocentric curriculum benefitting only one specific race of people? I was educated within the confines of a Eurocentric curriculum, yet I still benefitted.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:22 PM

747 posts, read 1,227,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Barlow View Post
Was it taught as white history or was it taught as history where the majority of players were white? Big, big difference there mind of the free.
Explain the difference please.

The children at Miller are taught mainstream history as well as BLACK history. Black History (Asian, American Indian as well) was purposely left out of mainstream history text books. It is mandatory for all children to see positive historical images of themselves. This will spark an interest in education and give them the confidence to succeed in life.

NEXT

Old 08-25-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:

The children at Miller are taught mainstream history as well as BLACK history. Black History (Asian, American Indian as well) was purposely left out of mainstream history text books. It is mandatory for all children to see positive historical images of themselves. This will spark an interest in education and give them the confidence to succeed in life.

NEXT
Rep point!

Old 08-25-2010, 01:31 PM

408 posts, read 989,411 times
Quote:

NEXT

Yes, I think it is mandatory that children see positive historical images of themself. We absolutely must institute magnet schools for albinos, kids with braces, kids with weak chins, kids with double chins, redheads, and late bloomers.

.. and again, two wrongs don't make a right.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:09 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,923,338 times
I can understand the problem of where do you draw the line, but how is children seeing positive historical images with which they can relate a "wrong"?

The problem with white-washed histories is not that they provide white kids with positive role models. It is that they provide ONLY white kids with positive role models. Afrocentric education may or may not be a necessary or appropriate way of dealing with that problem, but I honestly don't get what is wrong with the very idea of trying.

Maybe the problem is people are assuming afrocentric education actually excludes white people. It isn't supposed to, and it basically can't.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
Yes, I think it is mandatory that children see positive historical images of themself. We absolutely must institute magnet schools for albinos, kids with braces, kids with weak chins, kids with double chins, redheads, and late bloomers.

.. and again, two wrongs don't make a right.
Ummm....no. Not a single one of those groups is singled out on a consistent, widespread basis. You do not need a school for such children .

And there are in fact plenty of schools out there that serve specific populations. Do those baffle you as well? Although I am Black, I'm also Jewish and if I ever am blessed to have children, by default I will be enrolling them in a Jewish school. Call it 'seperatist' or whatever...but I want a school that will recognize Jewish holidays, Jewish dietary laws, the Hebrew language...all of that. Now if said school is not adequately meeting the basic educational needs of my child THEN I will explore other options (in fact a friend of mine is going through this now...with her son in regards to Hillel Academy vs. Taylor Alderdice).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates