Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:12 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
You are also sniping, so take your own advice. We are not here to serve you, so stop acting like it.

BTW, I have a ton of actual content to add but I'm not going to given your attitude; I'm not your waitress and neither is anyone else on this forum.

Stop griping about other people's attitude and fix your own. Then maybe posters will get back to content.
My comments were directed at this being the DEBATE forum and in fact I could care less about people's attitude if they would just add content.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the topic.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a short article I found on the origins and it's practice in modern Spain. It would appear that it is on the way out.
http://www.edubook.com/history-of-bu...in-spain/6937/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 07:50 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I've made many, sadly you are unable to address them and instead just want to snipe when I call people out for not contributing to the thread.

Bullfighters are doody heads! Right there we have summarized over 50% of the posts here. Doesn't matter that I might agree with the comment, I'm just looking for more content.

I'm waiting.
Bull fighting is very popular in Spain, but a considerable opposition is growing.
This last incident of a bull jumping the barrier into the spectator area is not the first time such an event has happened.
Human civilization has a history of varied animal abuse and torture. But such a theme may be best served as a separate thread, because everyone will want to comment on animal abuse over the globe and go way back into history. It wouldn't take long before such a thread has gone in many different directions at once. So it would probably be best to focus this one on the OP.
A thread about past and current animal abuse might be an interesting thread...start one.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:32 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times
Its a cruel and barbaric thing to do. It is on par with hunting.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:05 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,780,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
gotta agree !

I'm no animal activist, but bullfighting is disgusting.

If a packing plant killed cattle in that manner they would be shut down and certainly not given applause.

I agree, they would. I'm not an animal activist per say either, but there are just some things in this world that need to stop and torturing animals till death for sport, is one of them......

Old 08-25-2010, 01:25 AM

731 posts, read 1,579,412 times
I went to a bullfight in Mexico but I didn't sit on the front row. I have mixed feelings about bullfights. I didn't look at the bullfight as a sport but more of an art by the bullfighter. This bull didn't bleed until weak but he did have some of those arrow things in his back (three) and when the fighter killed the bull he drove the sword in the front of the bulls chest and the bull dropped down dead and didn't move again. The speaker said the bull would be given to the poverty stricken for food.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
I went to a bullfight in Mexico but I didn't sit on the front row. I have mixed feelings about bullfights. I didn't look at the bullfight as a sport but more of an art by the bullfighter. This bull didn't bleed until weak but he did have some of those arrow things in his back (three) and when the fighter killed the bull he drove the sword in the front of the bulls chest and the bull dropped down dead and didn't move again. The speaker said the bull would be given to the poverty stricken for food.
The rich wouldn't eat the meat because it's full of adrenaline from the fight.
There are more human ways to provide meat to the poor.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:27 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Bull fighting is very popular in Spain, but a considerable opposition is growing.
This last incident of a bull jumping the barrier into the spectator area is not the first time such an event has happened.
Human civilization has a history of varied animal abuse and torture. But such a theme may be best served as a separate thread, because everyone will want to comment on animal abuse over the globe and go way back into history. It wouldn't take long before such a thread has gone in many different directions at once. So it would probably be best to focus this one on the OP.
A thread about past and current animal abuse might be an interesting thread...start one.
I guess where I am struggling is where do you draw the line?

I suppose it's societal consensus because there are those that oppose even using animals to pull wagons or dog sleds etc. so do we crack down on the Amish for their animal abuse?

I'm just saying that most people oppose something like bull fighting....and then it gets into things like is it even ok to raise cows for meat or milk? Have animals in a zoo? Ride horses for a hobby? Cull overpopulated deer herds?

It's a tough tough world out there so what we are really talking about is how human society has created an artificial framework for many animals and what our duty is to them in that framework. In the wild, most bulls would die just as horribly as in the bull-ring so I guess we are implicitly saying that we take on a duty by raising them in a domestic setting but if a bunch of lions rip them apart or a croc drowns them in a river we have no such obligation.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:13 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
They literally bleed to death, it is cruel and inhumane and should be outlawed.
Actually bleeding to death would be a relatively painless death, from what I've read in medical books.

Of course, there is the "how did you start bleeding" thing, but most victims of stabbing say that the actual stabbing and bleeding doesn't hurt, its the recovery mostly.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:29 AM

731 posts, read 1,579,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The rich wouldn't eat the meat because it's full of adrenaline from the fight.
There are more human ways to provide meat to the poor.
To provide meat is to kill an animal, what other " human" way should the citizens of Mexico go about it? Are you sure about the adreniline? We have had bulls in the pasture, or more commonly in the loading area and chute get really mad and maybe you would have thought they had been given adreniline.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
To provide meat is to kill an animal, what other " human" way should the citizens of Mexico go about it? Are you sure about the adreniline? We have had bulls in the pasture, or more commonly in the loading area and chute get really mad and maybe you would have thought they had been given adreniline.
Mammals, including humans, in stress situations produce adrenaline. It is not an injected drug.
Adrenal gland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
The production of adrenaline works similarly in animals. Adrenaline changes the taste of the meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates