Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:06 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,621,549 times

Advertisements

Do you think we as a people can't help but have preconceived notions about a certain type of people even though we were never taught that?

Do you think we all have our own little racist views no matter how much we may deny them in public?

I was just wondering...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 11:20 PM

673 posts, read 3,089,957 times
This is a good topic.

I think there quite a lot truth to everyone being a bit racist. My family is original from another country, Bangladesh. I swear most people in Bangladesh are racist against whites, blacks and even sometimes Chinese! I will admit holding some of these view, but I really do try to hold them back and judge people on thier own merit.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:41 AM

221 posts, read 364,592 times
I recall being color blind as a kid for the most part. As I grew up and actually looked around, I began to notice cultural differences, without anyone pushing an preconceived notions at me. Those that did, I basically rejected because I was like... "I'll think for myself, individual freedom you know, thank you very much."

But, given that I've often noted that the black populace is legitimately a problem demographic in many places and ways, thinking for myself and rejecting what was pushed at me has actually taken me from more color blind to less color blind.

Probably politically incorrect to say it, but that's how it went.

I think *not* noticing differences among people, would probably by an abnormal trait. Especially where the differences are so visible. Clearly, now that we are in an age of easy transportation and migration, and hence the isolation that led to clearly defined races is less present, and everyone will probably end up like Tiger Woods, etc... the mantra "people are all the same" will be a little more realistic. I'm thinking the case of Brazil, where everyone is somewhat of a Hienz 57, and not just 57 varieties of European.

But, as long as you can still point at someone and say "red, white, yellow, or black", it'd be highly unnatural that folks wouldn't look to see what the differences are. No different than little boys and girls noticing they have different parts, LOL!

Now, does that say everyone is "racist". Maybe not. If racism includes the concept of "race A is *superior* to race B", well, it's possible to notice differences and not be a supremecist. Even possible to notice the differences, not care for a particular group or culture and still not be a supremecist-racist.

But, if the going definition of racist is "anyone who notices there are differences that fall along racial boundaries", then yes, everyone is a "little" racist because any person with an IQ higher than a turnip is going to notice patterns.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:25 AM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Don't you think it's because we tend to gravitate towards those who are most like us? For example, I searched for an American woman doctor recently, because I would be more comfortable. I have had a male Chinese doctor and an Indian doctor, who were both very good, but a little hard to understand sometimes. It's not because of racism.
I think this also translates to who we live among and would choose to work with. I think it's human nature.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:50 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
I'm definitely prejudiced. I didn't notice it as much when I lived in a region where 98% of the population was like me, but I sure noticed when I moved and became the 1% of the local population of my own race.

I think it's foolish to try to deny your prejudices or insist that the world is colorblind. If you think that, then you haven't seen very much of the world. The key is to acknowledge that your prejudices are based on an illogical instinct and take control of that instinct in order to better function in modern society.

There's a lot of other examples where we do this. After all, my instinct, when I see another alpha male, is to set myself in opposition to and challenge him to fight over every little thing. Well, this doesn't work well in the workplace, so I have to think; do I hate this guy's ideas or am I just channeling my aggressive instincts and being unreasonable?

We're not dumb animals, but we're not so far removed from them that we don't feel some of the same natural pre-programming. There's a lot of unnecessary stigma attached to the idea that you might be bigoted, racist, or prejudiced. It's not something to be ashamed of, deny, or hide. Better to admit the truth about yourself and then learn how to deal with it like an intelligent grown-up.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:59 AM

11 posts, read 41,283 times
in a modern world where racial differences are enforced by celebrating that race's culture, that defines race in society (where we are all humans so there is actually no such thing as race, only genetic variation). most societies, especially american, allocate cultural aspects to different groups (races) because they are often true (overachieving asians, impoverished blacks, immigrant latinos, etc.). it is a human function to generalize things to understand them in the big picture and that is what we do as a response to different cultures and groups of people who look alike. unfortunately, some generalizations are negative stereotypes propagated by the media and misrepresented to society, perpetuating discrimination by a societal mob mentality. kind of like the way many fox news supporters will act (tea bag parties).

i should add that i am black and proud to be, however poverty is an unfortunate endemic problem for the black community in the united states of america.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:53 AM

613 posts, read 814,885 times
I think intolerance is innate. We all gravitate to people who are like ourselves. Those who are different are perceived as less worthy. I believe when you convince yourself that you have no prejudices, you are only blinding yourself to your own chauvinism.

I don't think it's acceptable to practice this natural prejudice. You need to admit your built in preconceptions and fight against them. This applies to race, religion, politics, culture, etc., not just race.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:02 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
Hmmm this is a really good but sensitive topic. I have black friends, white friends, asian, etc.. I'm a white female. I have never not dated someone due to their ethnicity and I've always had a good mix of friends. It's hard for me to admit but even so, I would have to say that with some people I do tend to be prejudice and it's not a certain color or background but moreso for me, it's how they are living their lives. Like for example, and I really don't mean anything by this - but it seems to be a hot topic. Mexicans have a bad rap, people view them as stealing americans jobs, bringing over family members and "breeding" (I'm paraphrasing from a friends statement) and in any case I've seen of mexican families, I can't help but agree with these thoughts...
I know it sounds horrible but I do believe certain people and how they live their lives predisposes them to certain treatment from other folks.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:47 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,621,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Hmmm this is a really good but sensitive topic. I have black friends, white friends, asian, etc.. I'm a white female. I have never not dated someone due to their ethnicity and I've always had a good mix of friends. It's hard for me to admit but even so, I would have to say that with some people I do tend to be prejudice and it's not a certain color or background but moreso for me, it's how they are living their lives. Like for example, and I really don't mean anything by this - but it seems to be a hot topic. Mexicans have a bad rap, people view them as stealing americans jobs, bringing over family members and "breeding" (I'm paraphrasing from a friends statement) and in any case I've seen of mexican families, I can't help but agree with these thoughts...
I know it sounds horrible but I do believe certain people and how they live their lives predisposes them to certain treatment from other folks.

Hmmm I agree. I would like to talk about this topic without well...calling anybody a racist but I fear it will come down to it eventually. Even as a Mexican-American I can see what you are saying. It angers me when I see Hispanics from anywhere come to the US, leech off the system, care more for their former country and break the laws. It just irkes me and gives the honest hardworking people a bad rap. On that same note, I also have my judgements against other ethnic groups. I don't understand why black people are so loud, rude, and why many of them worship this ghetto Hip-Hop culture. Since when is being a gang banger and not speaking correct english being successful? Of course, I know not ALL African-Americans are like this, but more often than not thats what I seem to notice the most. Am I wrong for this?

I also have friends of all types, and even among us we discuss this and agree on a lot of the same things, no matter how wrong or offensive we know they are.

I'm also gay so I can admit that there are certain stereotypes about us that are true. Like yes, I would agree that many, thought certainly not all, of gay men are kinda slutty for lack of a better word lol. Stereotypes I don't agree with is that we are all feminine or "less than men" because we are gay. I know some gay men who would rip your head off if you even look at them wrong As a former Marine, I can honestly say that some of the most motivated and decorated Marines have been gay.

That's just my 2 cents.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:09 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Do you think we as a people can't help but have preconceived notions about a certain type of people even though we were never taught that?

Do you think we all have our own little racist views no matter how much we may deny them in public?

I was just wondering...
I think if push came to shove, that yes...we are ALL a little racist to some degree whether alot or a bit. IE: Parents often claim to be non racist until their son or daughter starts getting deeply involved with a different race person and starts talking marriage . I witnessed this with Parents of a white daughter who wanted to marry a VERY dark African guy --- they were concerned for thier daughter (and future grandchildren) because of how others might view them, but, i also think a bit of racism crept into the equation also.

Unless we are firmly planted in the FACT that the Creator made Man (and woman) in ONE BLOOD ..hence, no different races of people....and all are truly equal in his sight, then there is little chance we will not be racially influenced . It takes some work besides . I am far less racist today than what i used to be ..but Im working toward overcoming it because it is the right thing to do. Do any others share this sentiment ? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates