U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:39 PM

2,224 posts, read 2,865,391 times

Advertisements

Two things caught my eye this week: an article titled "the End of Men" in Atlantic magazine, about the rise of women in post-industrial society; and a thread about the alarmingly low HS graduation rate of black males. These made me think back to a paper I did for sociology last semester. Here then are some charts from the US Census Bureau:

Exhibit A: High school dropout rates: http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/10s0262.pdf

In 1990, more black females than males dropped out, by 1.7%. By 2007, more males than females dropped out, by 1.3%

Exhibit B: College enrollment: http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/10s0270.pdf

The female-male enrollment ratio amongst whites is roughly 1.28 to 1. Amongst blacks, it's 1.84 to 1.

Exhibit C: Income by educational attainment: http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/10s0227.pdf

While black women earn incomes as white women of comparable education, black men earn decidedly less than their white counterparts.

So: with black women taking advantage of education in greater numbers than men, and earning more comparably to whites, and with the well publicized statistics on black children growing up with single mothers- has black American society essentially become matriarchal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 10:45 PM

5,073 posts, read 5,416,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Two things caught my eye this week: an article titled "the End of Men" in Atlantic magazine, about the rise of women in post-industrial society; and a thread about the alarmingly low HS graduation rate of black males. These made me think back to a paper I did for sociology last semester. Here then are some charts from the US Census Bureau:

Exhibit A: High school dropout rates: http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/10s0262.pdf

In 1990, more black females than males dropped out, by 1.7%. By 2007, more males than females dropped out, by 1.3%

Exhibit B: College enrollment: http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/10s0270.pdf

The female-male enrollment ratio amongst whites is roughly 1.28 to 1. Amongst blacks, it's 1.84 to 1.

Exhibit C: Income by educational attainment: http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/10s0227.pdf

While black women earn incomes as white women of comparable education, black men earn decidedly less than their white counterparts.

So: with black women taking advantage of education in greater numbers than men, and earning more comparably to whites, and with the well publicized statistics on black children growing up with single mothers- has black American society essentially become matriarchal?
The matriarchy of the black culture has been prevelent for quite some time now for various reasons. Some of which are related to socio-economics and others moreso as a result of the politics that extend beyond the community that disproportionately places males at a disadvantage by default.

Unfortunately, some of your assertions are incorrect. Despite the frabrication, African American males collectively earn higher incomes per capita than all of their female counterparts despite their being an education gap between the two.

P.S. the difference between college educated black males and black females with a bachelors degree or higher over the age of 25 is difference is less than 2%

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d...s/dt08_008.asp

Last edited by itshim; 08-25-2010 at 11:01 PM..

Old 08-28-2010, 12:30 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,862,316 times
In the inner cities, the culture is pretty much matriarchal...

But even in Africa alot of tribal societies there are matriarchal to varying degrees...

Which is a big reason why much of Africa remains poverty-stricken, primitive, and barbaric unfortunately...

Old 08-28-2010, 12:52 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,308,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
In the inner cities, the culture is pretty much matriarchal...

But even in Africa alot of tribal societies there are matriarchal to varying degrees...

Which is a big reason why much of Africa remains poverty-stricken, primitive, and barbaric unfortunately...
I see it the other way round, Africa has so many problems partly because of the strong dominance of males, Africa for the most part is a very macho society.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:09 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times
But the development of Europe from 'barbaric' heathen status in the pre-conversion era into 'civilization' was also accompanied by the introduction of patriarchy, in particular, that of a foreign patriarchal faith (Christianity) and its 'sword-arm', sacral Kingship. Very much a 'macho-ification' of Europe.

While the pre-Christian society of Europe was not strictly matriarchal it was not nearly so one-sided as Christian commentators on pre-Christian Europe would have one believe. For example, the fact that we know the names of a slew of male war gods from the Germanic tradition and very few female goddesses is more a reflection of the values of the Christian monks (very 'male-centric') who recorded them and the politics of the time of the conversion (strife-ridden and warlike). In other words, we are less likely to read of Ullr's skiing prowess and Idun's apples (representing balance of gender roles in peacetime) than Odin's skill with the spear and Frigg's devotion to her husband's pursuits (representing the importance of the male role during times of war and strife, i.e. the Viking age with its introduction of Christian Kingship).

Also, to say that Africa has problems due to the dominance of males is a fallacy. Matriarchy and Patriarchy are the difference between who is making the decisions that affect a society's policies, and gender has little role in the way a society manifests it actions in regard to aggression vs. passivity. Whomever starts the war, a man or a woman, it is men and boys who will fight it and everyone who will suffer for it.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:21 PM

But I don't think women would start as many wars as men - per capita so to speak, given the fact few women are in the position to make such a decision in the first place.

Nor do I agree with the common view that Europe was primitive before Christianity arrived. That image is largely based on the biased reports by the Romans and Christians.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:10 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,543,726 times
John,

It seems to me that you're speaking about a certain subculture within the black community. Mainly poor blacks.

Based on your remarks it's very clear that you're unfamiliar with blacks other than poor blacks.

Your question cannot be answered because you're mixing the accomplishments of blacks from different class backgrounds, if you will.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:44 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
Its definely true of balck males. Black females are actully makig headway at a much faster rate. Its some kind of culture thing best i can tell. It is all but a alrger per cencatge than most cultures or raises really.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:57 PM

I even think it is a global phenomenon. Probably our modern service and information-centered economies are just a natural match for women's strengths. I know that some European governments are already thinking of ways to help boys catch up with girls at school, whereas in the past it was the other way round. Girls are simply outperforming boys in this new, unphysical era.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:03 PM

17,986 posts, read 13,233,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Of course. You thank the Democrats and their big money give-aways that destroyed the black family. I think congratulations are in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or