Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:57 PM

604 posts, read 750,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
lol @ stating that like it's a fact. Obviously this cannot be scientifically proven either way.

Also expecting/asking scientific proof of something well beyond the realm of science is rather pointless so I'm amazed how often people go back and forth on this.

(PS generally wondering: the reason this isn't in the Religion Forum is......?)

Because I didn't want a bunch of religious fanatics to attack me...

and it is a question, purely for my own curiosity, I wasn't exactly looking to have help with my spiritual life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 11:26 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
Because I didn't want a bunch of religious fanatics to attack me...

and it is a question, purely for my own curiosity, I wasn't exactly looking to have help with my spiritual life
I have been surprised that there haven't been that many religious fanatics on here.

To answer question: We might have souls, no one has the answer to that with evidence. It is more of a faith question and you can believe we do or do not have souls.

P.S. Gingers don't have souls :P (Just kidding, you either get or you don't)

Old 09-22-2010, 07:31 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Although I am in no way religious, I "believe" I have pre-birth memories. I have been laughed at over the years when I relate them but I have memories of my "soul" for lack of a better word, being somewhere else, aware that I was about to be born and not looking forward to it but knowing it was to be. I related memories from as early as I can remember (like age 3 -4) of experiences during and after birth. No one has ever taken me seriously and I'm not sure that I blame them. But, I've always wondered if there are other people who experienced what they believe to be pre-birth and birth memories. I'm not some crazy new ager, I have just had those memories for as long as I can recall.
Hey Nurider....yes, I can relate. I stopped dead in my tracks when I read something the musician Pink said recently..... She said I chose this life. That is the prebirth memory ( as you call it) that I experienced. I had a non-traditional upbringing with certain challenges. I have had clear visions of participating in the process of selecting which circumstances I woudl be born into. I was born to my particular family for a specific purpose.....to help bring healing, strenght and support. Of course I never had this conversation with anyone because it sounds kooky but it is true. I chose this life. Maybe not all parts of it but certainly some of it.

I am a Christian and I do believe that the very life energy of every living creature is a soul. I believe that energy survives the death of the body itself. I participate in organized religion so that I can grow my perspective and, hopefully, deepen my relationship with God. But I also believe that all organized religion gets it wrong and some do more harm than good. "Religion" is mans interpretation and application of what he THINKS is God's will. It is flawed because man is flawed. But I believe that it is still worthwhile, for me at least, to go and participate in the process because even if I believe completely differently than the pastor, which happens pretty frequently for me, my faith is becoming more refined in the process.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:38 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
I believe that the encounters that I have had with deceased and transitional (near dying) family members in various ways (apparitions, intense feelings saying something to me from them, touching, and non-verbal communications) are in fact the soul which doesn't die communicating to me usually for a reason. That is why I believe in the soul/spirit.

The strongest occurence happened when my grandmother came to tell me she had my cousin with her and I found out that he had in fact died the night before. There is definately something to it.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:01 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
I was reading a thread on Christianity and "where heaven is" and a thought came to mind.

Some scientists believe the way we are raised is just a set of memories in our minds for the way we act.

Others, believe we have something in us, that IS us...souls.

It isn't really a thing in us that we can pull out, but its like our personality, charism, character, etc...

So do YOU think people have souls, or is it just a set of memories (or other things) in your mind you act in reaction to?

Personally, I think even our name gives us a different character, like if my name was Joe, instead of Shayne, that I'd act somewhat different and have a different personality.

I DO believe the way I was raised has tons of influence on the ways I act, and things I do, but I don't think its just my brain recording these things and dictating my life...
Yes, I definitely believe we have souls. I'd go so far as to say I know it. But it's not something I can prove. You have to come to that kind of knowing on your own terms.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:18 PM

799 posts, read 1,094,783 times
Yes we have souls, some people call it consciousness others call it ego. Either way it exists. Souls are eternal, it's the shell body that dies...

Old 10-14-2010, 10:40 AM

604 posts, read 750,619 times
I just don't think that it is just the way we were raised, or think, to be the reason why we favor one thing over the other, or do things differently than everyone else, even with having had different experiences

Old 10-16-2010, 10:33 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,288 times
Quote:
To the clone question:
I've never met a clone, have you? I wonder if they would act the same or have the same favorite likes and dislikes... but even if they were clones, they'd be different.....
Like Dr. Evil and Mini Me? LOL

Old 10-16-2010, 10:39 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,288 times
I think we are all on borrowed time here. Our bodies gives our souls the means to live on earth and hopefully do good. When our body dies our soul moves on.
Sometimes I think about why some people are so unhappy, maybe they were born into a family or place where they don't belong, that's where the feeling of "not fitting in" or general unhappiness come from.
In any case it will remain a mystery until we one day meet our maker.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:45 AM

746 posts, read 1,676,767 times
The word 'soul' is a man made term.

But so is feelings, emotions, personality, character, charisma, and attitude.

I think it's merely the way you feel, how you live your life and how you interact with others.

My personal belief on spirituality is that it's deeply personal.
The whole concept of the church astounds me. I think that what your inner feelings are - your "soul" to me, is different for every person on this planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates