U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:25 PM

5,077 posts, read 12,718,559 times

Advertisements

The important part that people forget is that they are all together fighting towards the greater good; as a team. It should not make a difference if your teammate is gay or not. People stereotype gay men (especially) are worried that if they serve wtih someone gay, that gay guy wants them sexually all the time which isn't true.

I have gay friends who serve and when they are there they work harder than the rest of the group. They also worry themselves to death though about their 'secret' coming out.

Another surprise most people may not know is that there are a lot of gay men and gay women in the military. I work with the military directly in the midst of it daily and you'd be surprised.

If people want to serve, let them. It shouldn't even be a concern what their lifestyle or sexual preference is. Obviously they are a good person to want to serve in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 04:39 PM

90 posts, read 117,057 times
I just find it odd that in the process of meeting people and such and training, simple talk around the table might be barred, or...sort of a minefield for someone who's gay, man or woman. You simply feel like you can't talk about someone you love or your past boy/girlfriends or whatever.

Overall, I think the rule is just stupid, and never should've been put in place. All the males in my immediate and most of my extended family have served in the military and as mentioned before, everyone knows who is gay or not and it's not really an issue except for those who are homophobic. Sorry, but if you're that, I don't want you defending my country.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:25 AM

24,760 posts, read 26,839,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
It is very fashionable to be gay right now.
WTF??? Fashionable???? Gays suffer less discrimination today than in times past. That is undisputable. But "fashionable"??? Using words like this just shows how clueless you really are on this topic.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:31 AM

24,760 posts, read 26,839,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
But now in a time when homosexuality is far greater.
Incidence of homosexuality isn't any greater than it ever was. It's just more people admit the truth now than they did in the past.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:35 AM

5,703 posts, read 15,510,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
WTF??? Fashionable???? Gays suffer less discrimination today than in times past. That is undisputable. But "fashionable"??? Using words like this just shows how clueless you really are on this topic.
I am far from clueless. If you are going to take one sentence out of context and go with it, then that shows how clueless you are. As far as your statement regarding discrimination, I am sure the families of the teens that have taken their lives recently would disagree with you on your discrimination theory. By the way, everything is disputable.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:51 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,126,248 times
it was just overturned by a federal judge. so it's all over now. DADT is NOW HISTORY>

Old 10-12-2010, 06:10 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,056,821 times
Funny all these countries(26) have no problem with gays in their military and would find DADT ridiculous>>>>>
Sexual orientation and military service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-18-2010, 05:11 PM

103 posts, read 79,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15fresh View Post
Is it really fair to the people who are affected by this? Shouldn't everyone be able to serve their country?
It should be left to the military to decide what is best for it. After all, the military is not a "democracy", and we shouldn't dicate to it.

Their leadership knows best, not a bunch of interventionist with their distorted ideas.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:56 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,862,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcElwee View Post
It should be left to the military to decide what is best for it. After all, the military is not a "democracy", and we shouldn't dicate to it.

Their leadership knows best, not a bunch of interventionist with their distorted ideas.
The military has indeed decided. I applaud the decision, though I am sure it's far from over.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:26 PM

150 posts, read 81,156 times
I can't wait to see how this plays out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or