U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:57 PM

6,682 posts, read 11,902,937 times

Advertisements

Should there be Don't Ask Don't Tell. Absolutely not. Unless it is extended to every single member of the US Military. See how long that would last. It would however give every single person the message, and the feeling of what its like to be looked down upon. Perhaps it would also send the message, that one's sexual orientation is not the deciding factor in who a person is. Something that the US Military is sadly and completely lacking in understanding.

Does the US Military have no clue as to how many thousands in numbers of gay people, have honorably served in the different branches for decades upon decades. How ignorant to think that all these gay people are going to have sexual feelings for these other members. Its literally nauseating how ignorant the whole thing is. The real problem is not with the Gay service member and we all know it. There is a much more serious problem going on and its called blatant predjudice.

I've been gay my whole life. No one had a problem with me in the military, but I saw many so called st8 service members that were looking for trouble. Obsessed in finding out who was gay seems to be prevelent at least in some areas of the service.

Should Ask Don't Tell should be booted out the door and the military needs to get over itself. There is a reason so many gay servicemembers have been posted as interpreters and in the Medical Field. We excell in these fields. Yet it is one after another gay person booted out the door for what thier gay. Its ridiculous and time to move on. The military should be more than grateful, for as far as Im concerned outstanding service by gay servicemembers. In which the majority of the time is spent under conditions related to predjudice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 06:57 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,229,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcElwee View Post
It should be left to the military to decide what is best for it. After all, the military is not a "democracy", and we shouldn't dicate to it.

Their leadership knows best, not a bunch of interventionist with their distorted ideas.
The "leadership" was against, very much against, Harry Truman integrating the armed forces.

In 1940, the Army did a survey called "Attitudes of Officers and Enlisted Men Towards Certain Minority Groups." Section 1 dealt with attitudes towards Jews. One question to which there was a 86% yes response was "There is nothing good about Jews."

You can imagine the answers about other groups.

Point is, segregation based on religion, race, sexual orientation is simply wrong and is inconsistent with our national goals and our national security. Fear and ignorance are no excuse to exclude people from full participation.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:00 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,229,627 times
Quotes from Mr. Conservative, Barry Goldwater on gays in the military:

"After more than 50 years in the military and politics, I am still amazed to see how upset people can get over nothing. Lifting the ban on gays in the military isn't exactly nothing, but it's pretty damned close."

"When you get down to it, no American able to serve should be allowed, much less given an excuse, not to serve his or her country. We need all our talent."

Old 10-29-2013, 12:18 PM

1,121 posts, read 542,077 times
As a DI in the Army for the better part of five years in the 70's I urge any gay recruit to KEEP IT TO YOURSELF! Do NOT even hint. Anyone who's done basic knows what a pressure cooker the barracks are. If you want to "come out" be my guest but wait a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or