Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 09:24 PM

150 posts, read 91,189 times

Advertisements

Is it really fair to the people who are affected by this? Shouldn't everyone be able to serve their country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 05:01 AM

9,300 posts, read 16,599,633 times
I believe everyone should have the right to serve their country. The excuses I have heard that gay soldiers would tend to protect their mate versus their other buddies is ridiculous. Married couples are serving together, brothers and sisters. What someone does in bed has no correlation to combat. The "old" military is still homophobic. Gay people's ability, intelligence and physical attributes are equal to straight people. I am not gay, and served 20+ years as an officer.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:41 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,092,464 times
I kind of a problem with it and this why. First off I have no problems with gays wanting to serve their country or get married, or adopt children etc. My problem with the "Don't Ask, Don't tell" is society has this "in your face" type mentality going on right now. It is very fashionable to be gay right now. Even the gay community puts pressure on some to come out of the closet before they are ready. Or some simply do not feel the need to advertise that they are gay.

My concern is actually for the welfare and safety of gay soldiers. I am not saying all soldiers are like this but I have quite a few friends and family that have been in the military. Most (not all) are very macho and homophobic. I have a nephew in Iraq and he tells me things that go on which I will not give in great detail here but a lot of things get covered up. Gang type mentality, heavy drug use, women having sex with superiors to get out doing certain assignments, some constantly getting crappy assignments if they do not sleep with someone and so forth. So my concern is, if lets say two gay men are caught by their peers having sex and those peers are homophobic, what do you think the outcome will be? Of course the government should protect its soldiers but realistically I am not so sure this would happen all the time. I personally think it could cause violence, however I am truly hopeful that society will eventually accept people for who they are and none of this be a problem. I think we have a long way to go yet though.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:58 PM

556 posts, read 796,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I believe everyone should have the right to serve their country. The excuses I have heard that gay soldiers would tend to protect their mate versus their other buddies is ridiculous. Married couples are serving together, brothers and sisters. What someone does in bed has no correlation to combat. The "old" military is still homophobic. Gay people's ability, intelligence and physical attributes are equal to straight people. I am not gay, and served 20+ years as an officer.

I have to disagree on this point. Husband and wife do NOT serve together in combat situations.

I think DADT is fair and should stay in place.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:16 PM

410 posts, read 741,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
I have to disagree on this point. Husband and wife do NOT serve together in combat situations.

I think DADT is fair and should stay in place.
How is it fair? The government is being openly discriminatory against its citizens and punishing the ones that refuse to be dishonest about their lifestyle. Being gay has nothing to do with your ability or skill level.

Do you think it would be fair to be fired from your job because word got out that you're sleeping with a brunette?

Old 09-27-2010, 06:36 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,191,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I believe everyone should have the right to serve their country.
This
isn't about the "gay thing" but I don't because serving your country is NOT a right, it's a privilege.

Quote:
The excuses I have heard that gay soldiers would tend to protect their mate versus their other buddies is ridiculous.
It isn't about "protecting their mate" per se but anyone they might end up having romantical feelings about. And it's hardly ridiculous. In fact it's human nature. This is also why women serving in combat is IMO idiotic. It has nothing to do with their ability. But God forbid we not be politically correct in this PC-run-amok day and age.

Quote:
Married couples are serving together, brothers and sisters.
If you mean in the service at the same time, so? Hardly the same as combat.

Quote:
What someone does in bed has no correlation to combat.
Yeah right, because people's feelings never get in the way. OK...

Quote:
The "old" military is still homophobic.
At times, but more like the gay sympathizers are still oversimplifying the topic and burying their heads in the sand.

Quote:
Gay people's ability, intelligence and physical attributes are equal to straight people.
No argument there.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:40 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,622,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15fresh View Post
Is it really fair to the people who are affected by this? Shouldn't everyone be able to serve their country?
IMO the whole question of sexual preference is irrelevant to anyone except those involved in the relationship.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:58 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,452,460 times
I have seen no evidence to indicate a causal relationship between one's sexual preference and one's performance as a solider. I therefore see no reason to bar homosexuals from military service.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:46 PM

36,980 posts, read 40,996,276 times
The original thinking behind barring gays in military service began when almost everyone stayed in the closet. A closeted gay person in the military could be vulnerable to blackmail.

DADT forces them back into the closet.

I agree with ToucheGA. The bottom line should be the ability to do the job. The likelihood of a gay liason while serving is no more likely than a heterosexual one.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:08 PM

416 posts, read 628,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15fresh View Post
It is not fair that they are sworn to uphold the constitution but cannot depend on those rights being upheld for them. DADT violates their right to free speech and freedom of expression.

Anyone who meets the physical and mental requirements to qualify for service should be able to serve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000
It isn't about "protecting their mate" per se but anyone they might end up having romantical feelings about. And it's hardly ridiculous. In fact it's human nature.
You cannot tell me that the men do not bond so closely as to have no best friends. But no one worries that they'll look out for their best buddies while letting other soldiers die. Of course they don't, because it is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates