Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 06:53 PM

58 posts, read 190,205 times

Advertisements

should abortion for underage children require parental consent?

and as well does anyone know where online i can find an article by a philosopher, or psyhchologist to support your opinion on whether or not you agree or disagree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 07:02 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Personally, I think it should require consent because children don't have the mental faculty to think clearly about a situation especially a serious one like this... I know pro-choice advocates think otherwise but if they think that abortion is NOT a stigmata, then why go to great lengths and hide it? Do they fear parent's reprisal? Do they fear abandonment of the child? Or do they fear the parents won't let their kid have an abortion? Or perhaps all of them... whatever the case, I think abortion should be a private matter but one that should include the parents... as for articles, don't have any but I am sure google can help...

Old 09-28-2010, 06:32 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valene1992 View Post

and as well does anyone know where online i can find an article by a philosopher, or psyhchologist to support your opinion on whether or not you agree or disagree
No i don't think there should be. Considering parents have no say if the child decides to keep the baby no matter the age, and you are forced to help out. And they have no say in the child giving their baby up for adoption, then why should there be a law treating abortion as any different. Also i feel often this will push teenage girls to bend to outside forces even if they don't want to keep the child.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Personally, I think it should require consent because children don't have the mental faculty to think clearly about a situation especially a serious one like this... I know pro-choice advocates think otherwise but if they think that abortion is NOT a stigmata, then why go to great lengths and hide it? Do they fear parent's reprisal? Do they fear abandonment of the child? Or do they fear the parents won't let their kid have an abortion? Or perhaps all of them... whatever the case, I think abortion should be a private matter but one that should include the parents... as for articles, don't have any but I am sure google can help...

Not for all kids it is believe it or not....a lot of kids tell their parents right away. But they generally do so when they have decided to keep the child....so i don't get what point you are trying to make here.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:20 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
No. Abortions and birth control need to be available and free for teens without parental consent.

America has the highest teen pregnancy rate of all the industrialized nations. 1 in 3 American teens will get pregnant before age 20. 80% are unintended pregnancies. 81% of the teens are unmarried. Only 63% of the teens who give birth before age 18 will graduate from high school or get a GED. Angie Schwartz, Journal of Poverty Law and Policy; teenpregnancy.org; census.gov.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:36 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Absolutely not!!! As a "staunch conservative," I happen to believe strongly in abortion. In fact, I believe its one area in "healthcare" my tax dollar SHOULD be used to fund. Like it or not, there is strong evidence to show, Roe V Wade, has reduced crime in United States. Personally, I think more people should have abortions; they should be made more readily available and condoned. Not sanctioned.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:44 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valene1992 View Post

No, because it is usually apathetic Parents allowing their children to be raised by an out of control sex saturated Media and american culture that grooms them to be sexual hedonists at an earlier and earlier age leading to pregnancy and 4,000 daily walkin abortions to take care of 'the problem' . Afterall, its vitally important for our youth to learn how to use each other for a mere copulation so they can get better at it in adulthood --- its most likely what Mom and Dad did and its important for the torch to be passed along. (NOT !)

Old 09-28-2010, 07:50 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Absolutely not!!! As a "staunch conservative," I happen to believe strongly in abortion. In fact, I believe its one area in "healthcare" my tax dollar SHOULD be used to fund. Like it or not, there is strong evidence to show, Roe V Wade, has reduced crime in United States. Personally, I think more people should have abortions; they should be made more readily available and condoned. Not sanctioned.
Yeah...the groomed Sexual Hedonist youth of America demand their right to carry out what theyve been brainwashed with...by Mom , Dad, Obama, and Mass Media. They are entitled to an illicit orgasm the same that adults are ; afterall, 'there is no God' to whom we have to be morally accountable to 'cause America is now liberated from God and his absolute moral laws which allows us our 'freedom' to live as we like.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Yeah...the groomed Sexual Hedonist youth of America demand their right to carry out what theyve been brainwashed with...by Mom , Dad, Obama, and Mass Media. They are entitled to an illicit orgasm the same that adults are ; afterall, 'there is no God' to whom we have to be morally accountable to 'cause America is now liberated from God and his absolute moral laws which allows us our 'freedom' to live as we like.

Not everyone believes in god.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
No. Abortions and birth control need to be available and free for teens without parental consent.

America has the highest teen pregnancy rate of all the industrialized nations. 1 in 3 American teens will get pregnant before age 20. 80% are unintended pregnancies. 81% of the teens are unmarried. Only 63% of the teens who give birth before age 18 will graduate from high school or get a GED. Angie Schwartz, Journal of Poverty Law and Policy; teenpregnancy.org; census.gov.

I often laugh when people say that handing out contraception will make more kids want to have sex and allow them to know just what you posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates