Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 01:27 PM

36,225 posts, read 30,664,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What is wrong with breeding mutts? You are trying to create another breed, that is the problem. Do you not see all the designer breeds out there that really should be shelter dogs yet are being sold for 1,000's of dollars because the claims that they are hypoallergenic, etc.? Homes are never guaranteed...what is the point? Why would you breed a mutt? Tell me that? To teach kids about the birds and the bees? Because you love puppies? Because your dog is nice and you think that you can duplicate that? Licenses do not solve the problem of pet overpopulation...which is proven by the amount of puppymills, and BYB's as well as hoarders around. The main reason all those people breed is for Money!!!!

Breed for health, and follow the standards set by the parent clubs and the AKC or don't breed at all. There is no middle ground...

What is wrong with breeding mutts? You are trying to create another breed, that is the problem

LOL. No, that’s what generations of inbreeding and selective breeding did, thus the purebreds.

Do you not see all the designer breeds out there that really should be shelter dogs yet are being sold for 1,000's of dollars because the claims that they are hypoallergenic, etc

Should be shelter dogs? I see mixed breeds. If people are stupid enough to call them designer and pay thousands for them, well

Homes are never guaranteed...what is the point?

Perhaps not totally guaranteed, but you find interested people, generally enough to cover a typical litter and get a deposit before you even breed your dog. The point being very less likely you will have unclaimed pups
\

Why would you breed a mutt? Tell me that? To teach kids about the birds and the bees? Because you love puppies? Because your dog is nice and you think that you can duplicate that

Personally, I wouldn’t. All my mutts have found me and Im sure there will be no shortage so I have absolutely no desire to breed any of my dogs mutt or not. But others may because they have a healthy, intelligent, well tempered companion that they and are interested in perpetuating those traits AND know enough other interested persons to have a home for the remaining pups

Licenses do not solve the problem of pet overpopulation.

Only because of lack of regulation and enforcement. If more people were less hung up on purebred animals and refused to pay a big price for them the market would be reduced. All that along with education and available and affordable spay/neuter clinic would do much to help the problem

Breed for health, and follow the standards set by the parent clubs and the AKC or don't breed at all. There is no middle ground

I agree to breed for health, but its evident that kennel clubs, AKC, etc. do not always breed on logical or ethical grounds. Health is sacrificed for standard (and Ill use examples in the documentary) spina bifida, if it means getting a dog with a ridge, joint problems, if it means a particular stance, neurological disorders if it means a certain size head, breathing problems/allergies if it means a flat snout. That sounds like a lot of middle ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 03:34 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,928,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I dont think thats it. One can own a mutt as easily as a purebred. Lack of education abd regulation and available/affordable spay/neuter is what is creating overpopulations.

You stated Alleyo1 explained your reasoning for breeding only show dogs:

"Its about furthering the breed". I've not heard anything about love and companionship. Which, by the way, can be accomplished without a high pedigree.
You clearly miss the point...have you looked at a standard? Go to the AKC website and look at one!! Those dogs are companions above anything else. The standard is not just looks, health, but temperment. Certain breeds have different jobs or characteristics. Some are herding dogs, some are protective dogs, some are clowns who love to play and are very loyal to their owners. Furthering the breed is preserving those characteristics so that they can continue to be the loyal companions that they are above all else. You think that show dogs are always show dogs? You really need to be educated on this...because you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. If the documentary is your form of education, then you are just as ignorant as those that breed for money.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:59 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,643,111 times
This will never be solved because too many people have too many definitions and too many excuses about what is what.

Show dog breeders belive they are above all other breeders but they are still breeding. Commerical wholesale breeders belive they are being singled out wren BYB are producing the same number just on smaller scale and under just as bad conditions. Joe whos dog gets knocked up now worries they will be the criminal.

It is a simple thing, if your breeding for profit and sale, I don't care if your the AKC champion something or another, your still a freeking breeder. Your business is to pop puppies out of a dog so you can make money. You can lay all the BS over love and companion, but your still just a pimp.

there will be no real regulation to deal with puppy mills and breeding so long as some create a false class structure to legitimize their brothels for dogs.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:10 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,936,901 times
i think we should stop all breeding asap, there are too many dogs and cats and the numbers that are being euthanized a month is horrendous. lets get our populations down and then start worrying about breeding again.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:44 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. HSUS is, as far as I can tell, a widely misunderstood organization that seems to be, very erroneously, held in high regard by a large number of people. Their ultimate goals should be plainly unacceptable to any American AND everyone should understand that they will not respond to a report of localized abuse such as the other poster mentioned.

**You should know better about me... YES, ALF is an actual looney-tunes terrorist organization**
Whew! Thanks for clarifying. I'd hoped as much but I've been fooled by posters before!

Old 10-08-2010, 06:21 PM

37,029 posts, read 41,087,048 times
Limiting breeders to purebred dogs would not shut down the puppy mills. No one breeds mutts for profit. The number of people involved in rescue tells us that even purebred dogs end up in shelters. So limiting breeding to purebreds will not eliminate euthanasia.

How about the development of new breeds? Should it be illegal to mix breeds in order to come up with a new one, not just a "designer dog" like a labradoodle?

Old 10-08-2010, 08:42 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,461,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Limiting breeders to purebred dogs would not shut down the puppy mills. No one breeds mutts for profit. The number of people involved in rescue tells us that even purebred dogs end up in shelters. So limiting breeding to purebreds will not eliminate euthanasia.

How about the development of new breeds? Should it be illegal to mix breeds in order to come up with a new one, not just a "designer dog" like a labradoodle?
People DO breed mutts for profit. How about all the Shorkie, Morkie, Dorkie . . . . AND anything that ends with 'poo'. Maltipoo; Yorkipoo. People are making LOT OF MONEY off these dogs.

Yes, I think designer dogs should not be bred. Most reputable breeders will not breed these so-called designer dogs. Do we really need one more mutt in the shelter?

Old 10-09-2010, 04:55 PM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Who's going to tell all the stray alley cats that they need a license before they can breed?
We can't get the stray alley people to have a license before they breed, you think we're going to get CATS to go there?

Old 10-09-2010, 08:37 PM

37,029 posts, read 41,087,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
People DO breed mutts for profit. How about all the Shorkie, Morkie, Dorkie . . . . AND anything that ends with 'poo'. Maltipoo; Yorkipoo. People are making LOT OF MONEY off these dogs.

Yes, I think designer dogs should not be bred. Most reputable breeders will not breed these so-called designer dogs. Do we really need one more mutt in the shelter?
I meant Heinz 57 mutts, not "designer" dogs.

However, why should it be illegal to create "designers" if that is what people want for a pet?

Old 10-10-2010, 07:16 AM

4,484 posts, read 9,268,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I meant Heinz 57 mutts, not "designer" dogs.
Yes. Heinz 57 mutts are healthier and live longer. Breeding only within breeds narrows the gene pool and weakens the species.

The breeders have it wrong; the street-mutts have it right.

Most of the posts have been about dogs. I don't know much about cat breeding, but it seems like the cat breeders also focus on creating extremes. Our Himalayan is beautiful, but he can't even groom himself and seems to be missing some cat instincts that are apparent in our two rescue cats (one abused, one feral).

I agree that most people should spay/neuter their dogs and cats, and that more puppies and kittens are being born than there are homes for them. I just don't think breeding purebreds is good for the species, and I don't think breeding should be limited to those who are trying to make money.

I recently read about a horse breeder in Canada who was upset that she had to send 25 young mares to the meat market because they didn't sell. She blamed it on irresponsible American hobby breeders who were flooding the market with cheap horses. According to her, only the real breeders should be allowed to breed horses. She also said that you have to breed a lot of horses to get a few that are really good - so it was her plan anyway to send the rest to the meat dealer. (Her words: “You have to breed 100 horses a year to get two good horses.”) What was really upsetting her? The abundance of American horses was keeping the meat price low!

She would rather kill the extras than let the price go down. I'm not making an argument against horsemeat. I'm saying that this same mentality can exist with dog and cat breeders. (Free/cheap mutts reduce the demand for their product.)

The Western Producer - Print

So I have a couple reasons for disagreeing with OP's proposal:

1. The scientific one: Selective breeding to produce certain characteristics or to preserve only certain types of dogs (or cats) reduces the gene pool and is bad for the species.

2. The economic one: Breeders are not necessarily motivated by what is best for the animals, but by what benefits them. Limit the supply of dogs by getting rid of the mutts, and the price of dogs will go up. (Of course this is not true of every individual.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates