U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 08:13 AM

2,015 posts, read 2,998,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Why is Africa still poor?

I'm not sure why you think Africa is poor. The continent has vast oil reserves, diamond, gold, silver, copper, platinum. A rich cultural background and a land mass bigger than N. and S. America combined. It is true that the vast majority of the riches are in only a few hands, but, that does not mean the continent itself is poor. To its' misfortune, it is overly rich in greed, bigotry, and ignorance as well.
I totally agree, but unfortunately Africa does not have the tools to dig out all these resources on their own, hence relying on foreigners who end up paying just a small percentage to local governments and take everything else abroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 08:16 AM

2,015 posts, read 2,998,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
The continent has no large domesticated animals, and little carbohydrate food resources. This put their development far behind those of other continents, as there was no way to introduce mass production or stability (large-scale farming instead of hunting/gathering) into their society. Consequently they were always behind other nations. The rest is history.
LOL! Absolutely not true. "Google" is not always true, I hope you know that by now.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:38 PM

802 posts, read 902,372 times
Don't believe the hype. Africa is not poor, at the most it's manipulated. Certain countries are poor in Africa, yes. But all of Africa? naw.... I think our perception is more twisted upon mass media than actual info and research. When certain countries in Africa and many 1st world countries actually decide to help, than that perception can be null and void

Old 10-13-2010, 12:39 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times
^^^ I see what you are saying, there is a lot of misinformation concerning the situation in Africa as a whole and there certainly are pockets in most African countries where people have more than even just their basic needs met, but on the whole, just the GDPs of the vast majority of African nations indicate that those nations are struggling on a per capita basis, and when you realize how unevenly that wealth is distributed, there is no other conclusion to come to other than the fact that most people in Africa are poor. Even Africa's wealthiest nations that offer the most opportunities to average citizens are, on the balance, full of people suffering poverty that is almost unimaginable to people in developed nations.

As far as aid from the first world, I am all for it. I also feel that African nations, especially those that have some sort of momentum going for them, should work towards helping their neighbors improve.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:56 PM

69 posts, read 68,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The real reason is corruption... not corruption like we have in America, the kind of corruption I am talking about is murderous corruption... you don't like the government? You die... Africa is a country of lawlessness, it is more money talks or your head walks... Given that kind of climate, how do you suppose they prosper? Capitalism brings prosperity and without a lawful government that is just and fair, a country can never progress with businesses... This is why communism ultimately fails, because a government with that much power will ALWAYS by 150% corrupt... the rate of prosperity/progress can only be made from the will of the people and if the people won't gather and create real change, they will always be where they are yesterday...
I believe that if Africa had become a country last week, I think we would have heard of it on the news .
There are different realities on the continent, it is impossible to lump all the countries together. I mean seriously, can you really lump Egypt and the Central African Republic in the same group, or maybe Cameroon and Somalia to take some examples.
It is absurd the way it is worded and obviously comes from people who have no clue about Africa.
Please educate yourself a little more about a subject before making fools of yourselves on the internet.

Last edited by cqoica123; 10-13-2010 at 09:04 PM..

Old 10-14-2010, 11:24 AM

3,700 posts, read 3,025,705 times
The short answer is always that which pushes aside the seemingly unimportant details, in the case of Africa's poverty those details are spread out among the posts here to a degree that allows the readers to understand the fallacy of the OP's attempt at making comparisons of Africa to other post colonial nations. Colonialism as practiced by those developed European nations created vastly different societies in the undeveloped nations that came under their rule, no two regions or nations came away with the same experience from their colonial days. Africa's abundant natural resources were only surpassed by the also abundant lack of any cohesive attempts by the various tribes to collectively defend themselves, and that lack of cohesiveness was the one and only thing the colonial rulers exploited more than those coveted resources.

Poverty and it's roots has been the meat of many social research projects done by major universities around the world, the conclusions reached by these studies are not all that hard to access, but one would need to read quite a bit to understand the underlying causes of regional/national poverty. I would think that most people will agree on the one fact that continues to surface in these studies, that is, that most of the reasons for poverty stem from the lack of power on the part of those who are impoverished. Politically, economically, and socially marginalized people have historically been the victims of those who have an abundance of political power and thus the money and muscle to dominate. Africa has many in it's populace that are wealthy and powerful, and many more that aren't. The residual effect of it's colonial times has left a void in terms of a collective political will, and that's the legacy of the old ruling parties work that so adequately kept the people divided.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:25 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,112,510 times
Islam is the problem that modern Africa has today.

There is corruption, a survivalist wild-west type of existence.

Obviously the world has an interest in keeping Africa underdeveloped and wild, for exploitation of natural resources. China has recently moved in to take advantage of them. We'll see how that ends up. Maybe China will be the nation that lifts some of the nations on the continent. China will take what she can get no doubt about it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7086777.stm

Old 10-14-2010, 09:42 PM

613 posts, read 968,436 times
Because they can't seem to evolve.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:42 PM

507 posts, read 584,757 times
The reality is that I can't speak about a place that I have never experienced. I find that in most discussions about Africa, people state second-hand information or old generalizations as facts, and often times I don't believe these "facts" represent the reality of a situation since most people have never experienced it themselves. In all of the discussions that I have with people from Africa or those who has traveled to Africa, I always hear the same thing: Africa is an extremely diverse and varied place. To ask the question "why is Africa poor" simply generalizes as entire continent and ignores the situations in countries like Mauritius, Botswana, Ghana, Senegal, Cameroon, and several other countries with fast growing economies.

I plan on going to Ghana (and maybe some other places) this winter, so I am excited to experience Africa first hand. It will be interesting comparing the things I've heard to what the place is actually like.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:01 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Islam is the problem that modern Africa has today.
Sectarian violence, largely centered around Islam as the aggressive force is indeed a serious problem in the Sudan, and other parts of northeasterrn Africa such as Somalia are in turmoil while being controlled and influenced by Islamic organizations like Al-Qaida and Al-Shabaab, but many of Africa's most stable and peaceful countries are also Islamic.

Some of the worst countries in Africa are dominated by Christians including most of Central Africa. In fact, The Church (Roman Catholic) is said to have contributed to the racial tension between the Hutu and the Tutsi which has led to a genocide and mass rapes and mutilations that make Hitler's treatment of the Jews pale in comparison. As a result, Catholicism in Rwanda is on the wane while Evangelicals and Muslims are on the increase, post-genocide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
Because they can't seem to evolve.
Care to elaborate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates