U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 06:18 PM

258 posts, read 460,072 times

Advertisements

Their culture is ignorant and corrupt. Many areas of africa believe that you have sex with a virgin it will take away HIV.

Rape capital of the world. It is a horrible place. Obviously, Africa needs help from the rest of the world if it is ever going to improve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 11:26 PM

421 posts, read 380,891 times
The main issue with WST being that it isn't a theory, more of a concept .

Old 10-17-2010, 01:43 PM

14,936 posts, read 16,534,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquest123 View Post
Their culture is ignorant and corrupt.
To describe Africa as having a culture, in the singular, is pretty ignorant.

I think you meant to say, "Their cultures are ignorant and corrupt."

And sadly, I must agree. That is why improving (is some places simply introducing) education is so critical. Not to eliminate their cultures but to advance them in terms of rationality. As you mentioned, some of the beliefs concerning communicable diseases are preposterous.

They need sex-ed, environmental protection, and agricultural classes. That and a daily shipload of condoms from the great condom manufactories of China.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:37 AM

12,900 posts, read 18,450,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
World Systems theory is a very broad and encompassing theory to analyze various dynamics in the way economics and politics are affected and effected across borders.

While your idea that the 1st world is conspiring to suppress the growth of the 3rd world can be cast in the terms and jargon of the World Systems theorists, that does not make it true.

For your scenario to be true would require an equivalent body of organization to the G7, a kind of shadow G7 that invents, organizes and directs these anti-3rd world policies to their respective governments. The problem with this is that governments would be operating with contradictory policies at such a level that this evil cabal would be so transparent as to be unable to operate. Kind of like waiting in line at the bank with a mask, a shotgun, and a deposit slip. No one will be fooled by the deposit slip.

On the other hand, you can continue reading fanciful novels of high-intrigue that explore the fantasy of what you are describing.
Oh silly me. I forgot the UN was the most singularly powerful and effective force for good in the world, that all politicans always seek to do what is best for the people they represent, that Nigerian and Bolivian miners, as well as chinese and SE Asian workers get a wonderful pension and benefits plan, that all residents of oil producing nations reap the benefits of their natural resouces and that Americans enjoy abundant goods and artifically low prices because god loves us the most. I just needed my extra-heavy dose of prozac to see it.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:16 PM

14,936 posts, read 16,534,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Oh silly me. I forgot the UN was the most singularly powerful and effective force for good in the world, that all politicans always seek to do what is best for the people they represent, that Nigerian and Bolivian miners, as well as chinese and SE Asian workers get a wonderful pension and benefits plan, that all residents of oil producing nations reap the benefits of their natural resouces and that Americans enjoy abundant goods and artifically low prices because god loves us the most. I just needed my extra-heavy dose of prozac to see it.
I'm no special fan of the U.N. but if the U.N. was that organization that was willfully and openly conspiring against the 3rd world to 1st world benefit, 3rd world nations would not participate and human rights groups not to mention average citizens everywhere would be up in arm with the U.N. as the 'enemy #1'.

I don't disagree that there are forces conspiring to profit from the sad conditions of the third world, I just thing that those forces tend to be corporate and not political (though not without political influence) and most importantly, these anti-3rd world forces are not organized across international lines.

For example, I believe Shell, the petroleum company, is taking serious advantage of the people of Nigeria much to the detriment of thousands and thousands if not millions of people not to mention the land itself. I do not believe that the governments of the Netherlands, Britain, and the U.S. are sitting together in a room saying, "How can we use Shell as an instrument to gain as much as possible from Nigeria's natural wealth and screw the people."

No, I leave that up to Shell's administration and sadly, the corrupt officials in Nigeria who allow Shell to operate as it does.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:06 PM

44,582 posts, read 43,115,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
You have to admit that Sub-Saharan Africa is lightyears behind in development compared to other regions on the planet. Sub-Saharan Africa has by and large become worse since Colonialism ended. Many people were better off surprisingly. Somalia was a peaceful nation under Italian rule. The Congo region and Nigeria also had stability. And thats just naming two small examples there, there are many many more. So its a valid question and asking it does not make someone racist. Calling someone a racist for bringing it up is a cop out and is a way to shut down any conversation on a topic.
Excuse me? Does King Leopold ring a bell? He pretty much raped the Congo. People were getting their limbs chopped off if they didn't do as the colonial powers said. And you obviously don't know the dynamics of Somalia. Alot of people don't identify with the "nation" but they identify with their clan. The Berlin Conference of 1885 changed that. Borders were drawn irrespective of who lived where. Why is Nigeria having issues? There are many different languages spoken in Nigeria. Nigeria is Christian to the South, Muslim to the North. There are also different tribes living in different places. And oh yes, when oil was thrown in the mix, there were problems.
The only reason the people were trying to colonise Africa was to get its resources. It wasn't for the benefit for the people.
Here is a question: Why are Ghana and Botswana relatively stable?

Old 10-18-2010, 04:59 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,027,624 times
People tend to forget how big the African continent actually is. To put it in perspective, the US could fit into the continent of Africa over three times. It's enormous:

Info-graphic: The true size of Africa

Africa is 53 different nations, and actually, several of those countries have been recording some of the fastest GDP growth in the world over recent years. A number of long-burning African wars came to an end in the past 10 years.

So, it's not universally dire. Even in a place like the DR Congo, some areas are faring better than others. For example, this is the website of the city of Kinshasa, a difficult-to-manage burgeoning metro area of over 10 million people:

Ville de Kinshasa - La Ville que nous Voulons

Whereas a few years before, that type of official website with civic updates and routes to complain about things to local officials simply did not exist.

So in many places, there is a trend toward gradual improvement. But these things take many years; you can't form a robust "civil society" full of local activists and anti-corruption groups overnight. Nor can they be forced by outsiders. They have to take hold organically.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:37 AM

2,015 posts, read 2,999,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquest123 View Post
Many areas of africa believe that you have sex with a virgin it will take away HIV.
The first time I heard of this was from an American.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:19 AM

8,593 posts, read 10,297,838 times
Not that long ago, you could have asked why Asia (other than Japan) was poor.

So there are two questions 1. Why did industrialization start in Britain and then spread mainly to western europe and North america, and not elsewhere 2. Why in recent decades has Asia been more successful than Africa?

1. Has a range of answers, from luck, to good cultural and economic pre conditions, to imperialism. Its a huge debate, and not really worth rehashing.

2. Is more illuminating. Its interesting to note that the first follower countries - Japan, South Korea, Taiwan - were all very ethnically homogeneous, and had strong national security reasons to industrialize quickly (note, Japanese industrialization started BEFORE WW2). This enabled them to overcome any opposition from any quarter to policies focused on increasing industrialization rapidly, and gave them a high degree of political stability. Since then industrialization has spread to less favored countries like thailand, Indonesia, and malaysia, but pushed by the model and sometimes by entrepreneurs from the tiger economies.

Most African countries have fewer external security threats, but much more ethnic/language diversity internally. This has led to instability, and to less momentum for policies leading to industrialization. Despite this, a few African countries have made significant economic progress, though the continent as a whole lags other parts of the less developed world.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:38 PM

2,782 posts, read 3,638,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
The arguments for African poverty are so:

- Colonialism
- Corruption
- Western attempts to undermine the continent covertly

The first example is a no-no. If colonialism always undermines development, then why is India an aspiring power now? The British treated India awfully.

Secondly, all countries are corrupt, with no exceptions. Corruption will exist as long as human beings exist. Yet for most countries, corruption does not retard economic development, so why in Africa?

Lastly, well racism is racism.

So, since corruption is part of the human condition, and colonialism affected other areas badly also, why is Africa still poor?
Why do people always expect developing countries to develop quicker then the countries that are already developed? It took 400 years for the US to come together, even longer for Britain.
For some stupid reason, people expect Africans, and other developing countries to do it in less time. But to tell you the truth... I'm surprised that they have developed as quickly as they already have. That may be due to their interactions with the developing world, but still, they are moving forward far faster then our ancestors ever did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates