Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 05:54 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
In our minds we are. But evolution is a subjective thing. I think a cat alot more evolved for its particular ecological niche than we are.
But does any of that have bearing on the concept of cruelty? I dont think so.
I think your opinion on the evolution of cats is quite subjective and probably quite incorrect.

"A cat is more evolved for it's particular ecological niche"???

Please. Then all the more wrong to boil it alive.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:09 PM

428 posts, read 1,184,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I don't think it is right to do that to big animals like cats!!! I would think something like crabs or fish would be more appropriate!! Cats and dogs are like our friends or something!! I'm not pro-animal because I'm not a wack-job but cats and dogs are very close animals to human beings! They should NOT be cooked or eaten. Or any other 'social' type of animal that we interact with and feed!!
There are plenty of social animals eaten by humans. Pigs are more intelligent than dogs but dogs get a pass in this culture. Would it be ok to boil a pig alive? It's a big animal. By the way fish can feel pain they have pain receptors. And what's wrong with being "pro animal"? Are you anti-animal?

Old 10-28-2010, 10:30 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Here's a deep question: Is it morally wrong to snip off an octopus' tentacles if they grow back?
I don't know, but you shouldn't eat a good octopus all at once.

Quote:
Is it right to boil animals alive to eat?
Only if served with the proper amount of drawn butter and lemon.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:30 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
And what about lobster??? - because that's how they cook them in restaurants. American restaurants too...
Any moral problems here?

Oh, don't forget about eating oysters alive...
Well, a lobster has a different nervous system than a cat, so I wouldn't say there is something terribly wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Yes, most of us would feel disgust at doing that. But again, different cultures feel differently about it than we do, so it IS considered okay where they live. I don't know why that's so difficult to understand.
I don't necessarily have a problem with eating cats. I also know the cats they eat in China and most of Asia aren't house pets, they are closer to feral cats.

However, I do not think boiling a vertebrate alive is acceptable. I don't care if the people who are doing it think it is okay, it is still morally wrong to cause pain just because.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:45 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I'm not certain if you are directing the "comparing an animal like a cat to a crab is absurd" at me or not, but I'm curious how you have formulated the idea that a cat's pain is more significant, ethically speaking, than a crabs. I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but I'm curious to know more about your argument position.
Okay, using your logic, there is no difference between a cat's life and a human's life. After all, a cat is far more like a person in very sense than a crab is to a cat. Biologically and mentally. So if there is really no difference between a crab and cat than there is absolutely no difference between a cat and a person.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:28 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Never right........

Old 10-29-2010, 10:50 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Okay, using your logic, there is no difference between a cat's life and a human's life. After all, a cat is far more like a person in very sense than a crab is to a cat. Biologically and mentally. So if there is really no difference between a crab and cat than there is absolutely no difference between a cat and a person.
I'm sure that there wasn't any explicit logic in the question, but that is, in a way, what I was getting at - just leading to a different endpoint.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:00 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
So say you. I have no way of knowing if a lobster feels the boiling water that kills it any less than a cat, or if the bug under my shoe feels the pressure before his body pops more or less intensely than a mammal under a truck tire. I know I can relate to that animals pain more easily than the lobster or bug but I am honest enough to myself that I can admit that those feelings are my emotions and the reality is there is little practical difference.
A fly flies when you try to grab it because its aware something is trying to kill it. If they were as stupid as you seem to suggest they'd just let themselves get splatted.
Thankfully, for people like you, we have science, and MRIs, and have isolated Nocicepters and Opioids, and their connections with the parts of the brains of organisms that interpret the pain.

It is a fairly widely accepted idea that very basic insects may only have the brain capacity to register a level of fear, and that when you get a more advance animal, the capacity to feel the intense, brutal pain that a human would increases as you get to advanced mammals with advanced frontal lobes.

The less advanced the brain/organism, the less the capacity to feel pain to the point where some organisms, even animals, have no pain as we know it (jellyfish -no brain.)

If you refute this commonly accepted science, you're just humoring yourself.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:18 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
This is just plain sick and sad. We might not have the right to tell them how to prepare their food, but we might educate them in the disease's they can catch from eating animals that haven't been vaccinated. This is exactly why I would choose to not visit countries that have these standards.

I am not a vegetarian, I just happen to know where my meat comes from and how it was treated. This might be there culture, but it doesn't look good for Westerners to go there and be apart of such cruelty. I guess if I was sitting at the table and meat was served I would just have to be sick.

I can't believe that any American would eat,a dog or cat!!!

We do need to clean up our ways here, if PETA would actually target the issues than making a name for their selves, some would take them seriously.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:21 PM

410 posts, read 514,953 times
I have no problem listening to a crab scream when being boiled alive, but I don't think I could do that to a cat or a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates