Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 06:02 PM

996 posts, read 1,056,905 times

Advertisements

I really want the fountain fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 01:27 AM

608 posts, read 592,884 times
Varmint, I thought you wanted a gas mask for the bus fumes? ;>

Old 11-01-2010, 08:23 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Many of the buses in our area are now eco friendly. ::thumbs up::

Old 11-01-2010, 10:12 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Many of the buses in our area are now eco friendly. ::thumbs up::
Not driver friendly though...those LCTA buses are going to kill someone pulling out of that intermodal station on Washington St...they pull right out onto the street not caring if a car is coming!

Old 11-01-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Not driver friendly though...those LCTA buses are going to kill someone pulling out of that intermodal station on Washington St...they pull right out onto the street not caring if a car is coming!
Yikes!

A lot of the drivers are newer and to put it in plain terms? They are ass holes to the enth degree. Very arrogant and rude; nothing like the "older" (aka more seniority) drivers.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:27 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I agree on both points.

Tailgating is incredibly stupid and dangerous. DUMB.
Pretty much everyone tailgates in NY. It's a vicious cycle. If you leave even less than a car length in front of you someone will cut in front with barely enough room to do so, causing you to slam on your brakes which in turn results in the person behind you slamming into you. Happens here all the time.
As for Public Smoking, NYC is now voting on making it illegal to smoke in parks and other public outdoor places. I don't smoke, never have, and in fact despise that habit. But I have very mixed feelings about this law. On the one hand, I hate walking behind someone who is puffing away, or inconsiderate smokers who actually blow smoke right at you. But on the other hand, there are way too many laws now and I really don't see how this can be enforced.
Does NEPA only have 911? We have 911 for TRUE emergencies and then we have 311 for more random complaints. I suppose littering would be reported to 311 in NYC. Not that anything would be done about it. That crime is pretty low on the NYC Crime scale.
And yes - I think if you are Gay you should be able to get married any way you want to. Why not?

Old 11-01-2010, 12:22 PM

We have emergency and non-emergency police numbers.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:48 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
I don't smoke and never have, I think it's disgusting, but this seems to be another example of the government getting involved in every aspect of our lives. Our freedoms are slowly eroding in this country due to the PC crowd and liberal left-wings. We need less government involvement in our lives, not more, and this is another example of a progressive government meddling once again.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:57 PM

608 posts, read 592,884 times
Ilona, even smokers don't like someone else blowing smoke right in their face, but realistically, how often, say per year, does that happen to you? You seem to have a reasonable view on the issue, but most Antismokers speak about it as though it happens almost every time they are with a smoker or in a place where smoking occurs. I have socialized in smoking venues for years and years and can think of almost NO specific incidences where it happened other than two times when it was done for effect (i.e. in a joke sort of way by someone who knew me and my views.)

As far as walking behind someone puffing away, I can understand that because I feel the same way if I'm bicycling behind a bus or car that hasn't kept its emissions hardware up to date. 20 years ago I would have used that as part of my excuse for working to sabotage the automotive based transportation infrastructure. Today I just speed up or slow down or move to one side a bit and a moment later the problem is gone. I'd no more think of calling 911/311 for that than I would for someone dropping a candy wrapper, jaywalking, or smoking next to an outdoor bus stop.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I don't smoke and never have, I think it's disgusting, but this seems to be another example of the government getting involved in every aspect of our lives. Our freedoms are slowly eroding in this country due to the PC crowd and liberal left-wings. We need less government involvement in our lives, not more, and this is another example of a progressive government meddling once again.
::sigh:: More liberal crap.

It amazes me that I can debate things without always.blaming.a.conservative.

I think if that's all the argument you have, you need to educate yourself much more on the issues.

MUCH MORE.

I am so sick of this song from the extreme right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates