Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 07:10 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,187,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
what can be done to curb the obesity epidemic?
Haven't read replies but is anyone else not convinced there is an "obesity epidemic?"

As for obesity itself, I'm sure this has been covered, but with pretty rare exception, weight control is common sense and very simple. Eat well, exercise. Harder for some than others due to metabolism/etc I agree, but still workable for almost all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 11:56 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,958,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
what can be done to curb the obesity epidemic?

this may sound harsh, but shouldn't fatty foods be highly taxed, even legally regulated? Should KFC, Subway or McDonalds have penalties placed on them? if not, then why not?

People speak of freedom/liberty, and in truth I believe that people should act as they wish without violating the rights of others.

But with freedom comes responsibility. In the US alone, there are tens of millions of obese persons, let alone overweight persons. It shows that people are not handling their freedom to eat as they choose responsibly. Education is not working. People still hold a stigma to healthy foods, thinking it's only liberals and the intelligesta who eat them. It's still the common/pop culture norm to see a box of KFC as wholesome food. So since society does not take the healthy eating trend in society truly seriously, then is hard regulation on the fast food industry required?
Epidemic? Like cholera?

Obesity isn't a disease. It's a habit, just like watching the television too much. Personally, I find it pretty disgusting if someone won't (Notice I didn't say "can't") curb his appetites.

That being said, as a person who is well within the healthy range for my weight and height, let me turn the question around. Why do you want to tell other people how to live their lives?

Old 11-17-2010, 11:57 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,836,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
My Mother always said any animal products will increase your cholesterol and I think she was right. I live on chicken and my cholesterol is high. I noticed in this article he didn't do this long term so I'd say there is a chance he would eventually gain weight from not getting enough nutrition or be unhealthy from not getting enough nutrition. Maybe the twinkie products have some nutritional value the way the condiments do according to what I heard on the news recently....or was that a commercial now I can't be sure LOL.

So true that and the fact that some people can't help being obese. I know if I were obese I would die from it. There's no way I could walk let alone run 5 miles a day even on flat land. If people would walk more at lunch time or even on a treadmill that would help but not everyone can afford them and I'm not sure that's acceptable and/or safe in a second floor apartment.

I wonder what the stats are on obese people as far as their living situation. Do a majority live alone, with parents? I keep being told living alone makes people over weight and wonder if there is any truth to it
I can't afford a gym membership and I can't stand to walk outside because it is too cold now. I had an elliptical machine but we moved and I couldn't bring it with me.

I will walk back and forth in the house for a set number of minutes how many ever times a day I decide to do it. I also bought a two story house so I walk up and down the stairs a few times right after the other, again, a few times a day. I also have a video saved on the computer that is for people who want to walk in place. There are mats to put on the floor and soft shoes if someone lived in an upstairs apartment and wanted to give that a shot. Yoga would be another moving option that isn't too loud if one lives upstairs.

It's all a matter of choosing something that is movement and doing it for ones self.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:00 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,836,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
It was regular soda. These people where into it at least well over a liter of soda every day for years. I also know a diabetic who attributes drinking soda as the primary cause for his illness.
If you had cows, hogs and chickens, what would you feed them to get them as fat as possible in the quickest amount of time? Probably corn and grain, IMO that's whats making us fat too. Food that is made with corn and grains are also cheap because in a way it is animal feed.
I've also heard that diet sodas stimulate the appetite. I don't drink soda but on a rare occasion and I drink regular when I do. My husband is a nonstop diet soda drinker and he eats more often than he should.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:36 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,540,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
I can't afford a gym membership and I can't stand to walk outside because it is too cold now. I had an elliptical machine but we moved and I couldn't bring it with me.

I will walk back and forth in the house for a set number of minutes how many ever times a day I decide to do it. I also bought a two story house so I walk up and down the stairs a few times right after the other, again, a few times a day. I also have a video saved on the computer that is for people who want to walk in place. There are mats to put on the floor and soft shoes if someone lived in an upstairs apartment and wanted to give that a shot. Yoga would be another moving option that isn't too loud if one lives upstairs.

It's all a matter of choosing something that is movement and doing it for ones self.
I've been using the Wii a lot as well. There are quite a few good games out there that can give you a bit of exercise in a small space.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:11 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,230,743 times
I'm not surprised at all by the epidemic.

The average American is a couch potato.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:19 PM

419 posts, read 866,173 times
Quote:
If you had cows, hogs and chickens, what would you feed them to get them as fat as possible in the quickest amount of time? Probably corn and grain, IMO that's whats making us fat too. Food that is made with corn and grains are also cheap because in a way it is animal feed.
That's what I'm wondering, too. When I was obese, I ate foods with corn and grain every day. It was the bulk of my diet. Then I decided to give up all grains to see if I had a gluten intolerance problem (my joints ached so badly and my headaches were getting more frequent, I was willing to try just about anything to ease the pain). Well, my joint pain and headaches went away and so did 90 lbs of flab. I wasn't expecting to lose weight because I had tried dieting before and it didn't work for me. I'm actually eating more calories now on a grainless diet than I did on a calorie reduction diet that included grains. I don't really understand it, but I like the results.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:21 PM

12,885 posts, read 13,556,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaida View Post
That's what I'm wondering, too. When I was obese, I ate foods with corn and grain every day. It was the bulk of my diet. Then I decided to give up all grains to see if I had a gluten intolerance problem (my joints ached so badly and my headaches were getting more frequent, I was willing to try just about anything to ease the pain). Well, my joint pain and headaches went away and so did 90 lbs of flab. I wasn't expecting to lose weight because I had tried dieting before and it didn't work for me. I'm actually eating more calories now on a grainless diet than I did on a calorie reduction diet that included grains. I don't really understand it, but I like the results.
I'm working real hard on cutting them out too, Corn and grains are in every thing.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:45 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,837,799 times
Default Answer to question. Here's why:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Epidemic? Like cholera?

Obesity isn't a disease. It's a habit, just like watching the television too much. Personally, I find it pretty disgusting if someone won't (Notice I didn't say "can't") curb his appetites.

That being said, as a person who is well within the healthy range for my weight and height, let me turn the question around. Why do you want to tell other people how to live their lives?
Unfortunately, the obesity epidemic affects us all through the resultant higher health care costs. These high costs are one of the nation's greatest problems at this time. Therefore, it is in the national interest to convince people to adopt better health habits, just as it was (and is) in the national interest to convince people to quit smoking.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:54 AM

419 posts, read 866,173 times
Quote:
I'm working real hard on cutting them out too, Corn and grains are in every thing.
Yeah, it took me a few tries before I could cut that stuff out. I started by cutting out gluten and then gradually cut out all grains. I still like to eat grains on occasion (gotta have mom's stuffing on Thanksgiving). But I usually pay for it later with a headache, joint pain, and sometimes heartburn.

My MIL pities the way I eat, but really it's not so bad. I still eat fruits, vegetables, nuts, eggs, meat, and dairy. There's a lot of variety there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates