Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:40 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times

Advertisements

There's no point in reintroducing a death penalty that isn't actually going to be applied. Making laws to satisfy this or that group of offended parties doesn't solve anything. I apologize if this has burst any bubbles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 09:16 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatecleaning View Post
What do you think?

At the moment the terms dished out for serious crime, like murder, is a joke. There is no real deterrent hence it seems potential killers, especially the young, take the decision to kill lightly.

Today’s events is a good example, 12 innocent people were killed by one man. If he was still alive now and in custody, he will only be facing a very long jail term. Is that fair??

Some here will argue that the death penalty may be wrongly issued to an innocent, but with today’s technology etc this will be very unlikely.
The death penalty has been shown not to be a deterrent to murder in American society. People are well aware that many states invoke the death penalty for murder, yet these states continue to suffer murders.

As for the death penalty being wrongly invoked against an innocent person, I offer you this:

Anthony Porter, Center on Wrongful Convictions

The Innocence Project - Understand the Causes: Forensic Science Misconduct

68 Percent Error Rate Found in Death Case Study

When you mention today's technology, I will assume that you are including DNA testing of evidence and of convicts who have already been sentenced and incarcerated. The problem with this is that the courts (the state) put up obstacles to testing by denying appeals and requests by the convicted for just such testing. There are hundreds if not thousands of imprisoned innocents who cannot for various reasons, get the DNA tests needed to prove their innocence.

Our current judicial system does not yet have enough integrity to support continuation or resumption of the death penalty

Old 01-02-2011, 10:43 AM

110 posts, read 261,641 times
Default Against the Death Penalty

I am against the death penalty. Human beings are too flawed to implement such a permanent, irrevocable punishment.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:36 PM

5 posts, read 4,930 times
I can understand why the death penalty is in place in America but feel that it some what conflicts with what America was founded on, that being a religious aspect. It appears that the death penalty goes against it in some way kind of like we as a society are playing god. I truly can not say I am against it nor can I say I stand strongly for it.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:31 PM

371 posts, read 393,205 times
To tell you the truth I didn't read all 8 pages. Sometimes the stupidity gets me too fired up.

The death penalty is a failure in America for 2 reasons.
1. It is rarely used. If a doc prescribed you medicine for twice a day for 2 weeks and you took it once and complained it didn't work, well you're correct. It failed because of your poor application.

2. We use it for people that can't/won't be stopped. Nothing will stop these people, so the punishment doesn't matter. (ie. Bundy, Dahmer, etc)

That being said, let's look at Singapore. Highest execution rate in the world, and the lowest crime rate. They execute for the following:
  • Waging or attempting to wage war or abetting the waging of war against the Government*
  • Offences against the President’s person (in other words, treason)
  • Mutiny
  • Piracy that endangers life
  • Perjury that results in the execution of an innocent person
  • Murder
  • Abetting the suicide of a person under the age of 18 or an "insane" person
  • Attempted murder by a prisoner serving a life sentence
  • Kidnapping or abducting in order to murder
  • Robbery committed by five or more people that results in the death of a person
  • Drug trafficking
  • Unlawful discharge of firearms (firearms are heavily restricted in the city)
Possession of:
  • (a) 100 grammes of opium;
  • (b) 3 grammes of morphine;
  • (c) 2 grammes of heroin;
  • (d) 15 grammes of cannabis;
  • (e) 30 grammes of cannabis mixture;
  • (f) 10 grammes of cannabis resin;
  • (g) 3 grammes of cocaine;
  • (h) 25 grammes of methamphetamine;
  • (i) 113 grammes of ketamine; or
  • (j) 10 grammes of any or any combination of the following:
  • (j1) N, α-dimethyl-3,4-(methylenedioxy)phenethylamine;
  • (j2) α-methyl-3,4-(methylenedioxy)phenethylamine; or
  • (j3) N-ethyl-α−methyl-3,4-(methylenedioxy)phenethylamine,
Or manufactuing:
  • Morphine, or any salt of morphine, ester of morphine or salt of ester of morphine
  • Diamorphine (Heroin) or any salt of diamorphine
  • Cocaine or any salt of cocaine
It's proven highly effective in Singapore. Combined with caning you get one of the lowest crime rates on the planet, and the wonderful benefit of enjoying your freedom anywhere you go in the country.

At a minimum we should execute people for:
Murder
Attempted murder
Hostage taking/kidnapping
Possession of large amounts of amphetamines/cocaine/crack
Use of a firearm while commiting a violent crime
Anyone convicted of felonies on 3 occasions.

If we did the above I bet we'd see a 25% drop in crime in 1 year.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:02 PM

421 posts, read 448,561 times
One of the big problems is the imperfection of any justice system. At the end of the day the state will be killing some innocent people, and any death penalty system must accept that.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:08 PM

371 posts, read 393,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattos_12 View Post
One of the big problems is the imperfection of any justice system. At the end of the day the state will be killing some innocent people, and any death penalty system must accept that.
Can apply this to many things.

At the end of the day we must accept medicine kills some innocent people.
At the end of the day we must accept automobiles kills some innocent people.
At the end of the day we must accept bathtubs kill some innocent people.

Hmm, tough call. But I believe the risk is worth the reward.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If you think being locked away in prison for the rest of your life isn't a deterrent, then you obviously haven't seen it in person.

Most murders are crimes of passion. Its something thats done in the spur of the moment, and ordinary people that wouldn't normally do that, will kill. Just goes to show we are animals. Just like dogs, they may be loving and you think they'd never harm a fly, but under the right situation....

I am not in favor of the death penalty in its current form. I believe that someone must be 100% guilty, not 99% not 99.9%, but 100% guilty. You know, multiple witnesses saw them murder someone. Kind of like Charles Whitman. Yeah, we knew he did it.

But, for instance, Scott Peterson. I will say that the guy probably did it. And it was beyond a reasonable doubt. But can I say for sure, 100% no doubt that he did it, no. There would have to be no doubt, period for the death penalty.

I also feel that the state shouldn't execute the convicted. I feel that the family members should have the final say. Jurors can sentence them to death, the judge may agree, but unless the family of the departed want them gone, there is no death penalty. I also say that if the family member wants, they should be allowed to flip the switch themselves.

I know that if I were the father of those girls in Connecticut, I'd want to pull the switch.
I really thnik you want the impossible. But the death panalty is the law in many states and now also for some federal crimes. Its a growing thing because people have learned that there is no such thigns a absolute life in prison.A perosn can be guilty ahs hell 'eyt years later a non-inncent mistake by a judge can mean the killer gets out.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:46 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Should the death penalty be re-introduced??

I have another question. Why are we still feeding and taking care of Charles Manson at taxpayers' expense?

Old 02-16-2011, 02:10 AM

421 posts, read 448,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
Can apply this to many things.

At the end of the day we must accept medicine kills some innocent people.
At the end of the day we must accept automobiles kills some innocent people.
At the end of the day we must accept bathtubs kill some innocent people.

Hmm, tough call. But I believe the risk is worth the reward.
Its a pretty blatant straw man huh?

None of the things above involve an active attempt to do hard. The death penalty is the state killing people. Bathtubs are not, to the best of my knowledge about killing people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates