U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 02:12 AM

547 posts, read 1,367,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
How is that not simply more selfishness? There are a whole lot of people out there who have contemplated eating a bullet or downing a bottle of pills. It's a lack of selfishness that keeps people from taking what they consider to be the "easy way out"....the ultimate give up. If you have children, or any family who care for you, or friends who care for you, you owe it to THEM to pull your self-pitying butt out of the hole you're in and do the best that you can to make the necessary changes in your life.
"Accidents" are probably better as the relatives get more insurance money and more sympathy (even more money).

I agree, crude suicides are not optimal. If a person wants to die then he should probably do something meaningful (die a martyr or hero) or something accidental.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:29 AM

654 posts, read 3,032,066 times
If you think that's bad....when my late grandfather was alive, he and the rest of the family have had to endure the deaths of FOUR (yes, 4) of my uncles at the same time and the same day (drowning accident). Sad thing was, I was the only grandchild at the tender age of 1 to have seen them before that horrible incident a few months later. My granddad never got over that and though he went on, he grieved constantly for the rest of his days until he passed away. In his later years he has slowly gave up on life. My mom still has the newspaper from that tragic day....

Old 03-01-2011, 02:30 AM

3,409 posts, read 3,837,460 times
Things happen and once a person makes their mind up, there is no stopping them. Some people do it just to try to get attention. They have no desire to actually do it. The guy who doesn't tell anybody of his plans is the one that will. Some go quick, some go slow. I think hanging has to be one of the worst next to drowning. Often times when a person is caught red handed at a serious offense they make that choice. Brains, blood and bone plastered all over the walls and ceiling. Finding that projectile and it's trajectory can be a real b*tch at times.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:36 AM

10,716 posts, read 31,026,539 times
So many in this post, presuppose that the person who is thinking of committing suicide can understand and has the benefit of reason. It is my belief that people who take their own lives (the exception of course being those that are terminally ill) are mentally ill. Therefore asking them to think about consequences or the ethics of suicide doesn't really make a lot of sense.

I have personally experienced how mental illness can make things seem a lot worse then they really are. I can see how a person can get to this point when their mind is not in their control.

Just days after Christmas a friend of mine took his own life. I saw the impact it had on his friends and family. I don't believe for one moment that he had any idea of how it would hurt everyone. He was bipolar and depressed and abusing drugs to self medicate through the problems he was having because of his mental illness (I found these details out only after his death). He was unable to hold down a job, was at odds with his family and the woman he was involved with actually told him to kill himself, rooted him on, dared him to. He set up his Iphone to film the whole thing and took his own life. He thought having it filmed would be of some comfort to his family...little did he know the terror it caused them...

Old 03-01-2011, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
So many in this post, presuppose that the person who is thinking of committing suicide can understand and has the benefit of reason. It is my belief that people who take their own lives (the exception of course being those that are terminally ill) are mentally ill. Therefore asking them to think about consequences or the ethics of suicide doesn't really make a lot of sense.

I have personally experienced how mental illness can make things seem a lot worse then they really are. I can see how a person can get to this point when their mind is not in their control.

Just days after Christmas a friend of mine took his own life. I saw the impact it had on his friends and family. I don't believe for one moment that he had any idea of how it would hurt everyone. He was bipolar and depressed and abusing drugs to self medicate through the problems he was having because of his mental illness (I found these details out only after his death). He was unable to hold down a job, was at odds with his family and the woman he was involved with actually told him to kill himself, rooted him on, dared him to. He set up his Iphone to film the whole thing and took his own life. He thought having it filmed would be of some comfort to his family...little did he know the terror it caused them...
The largest Meth dealer in the area with 3 of his stooges apprehended already was enough to go .45 ACP and peel a cap.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:46 AM

Guess who's Spyderco Endura dug the 230 FMJ out of the back yard? *puke*

Old 03-01-2011, 02:53 AM

4,576 posts, read 7,621,538 times
Lost two people I knew to suicide. One took a shot gun to his head. The other OD'd on heroin on purpose. It sucked but I carried on, I felt god awful for the families. Life is worth living to the bitter end, even if you got nothing.If you have nothing left to give, they can't take anything from you. You just have to keep pushing forward.

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 03-01-2011 at 03:04 AM..

Old 03-01-2011, 03:00 AM

12,941 posts, read 18,848,072 times
So I suppose we have to distinguish between medical and emotional ("mental") reasons for suicide first, before we judge its merits. Emotional (depression, frustration, fear, etc) suicides can seem unfair because we assume that a sound body has to hang around this mortal coil until it's old and withered. It is difficult to see a young person take their own life because we see the "potential" of a short life "thrown away". Yet their demons can be as real to them as a terminal cancer patient's.

Medical issues that lead to suicidal thoughts, especially occurring after a long and fruitful life, can sometimes seem slightly more acceptable. In these cases it seems to depend upon quality-of-life issues more than lost potential - "At least they've had their run" is an oft-heard phrase.

Even within such differentiations there are shades of gray. The depressed young person might exhibit suicidal tendencies due to true clinical depression (rare) or more likely because of a seemingly (to others) silly reason such as a failed date or being excluded from a FaceBook friend's conversations. In medical cases you can see the spectrum of reasons ranging from suicides due to loss of a hand or a long-term but non-lethal illness (reasons with which we generally do not agree and which seem to cross the line into the emotional aspects) to the prospect of slow, painful, agonizing deaths suffered by a friend or family member, in which we begin to see the merits of assisted suicide.

Our society generally views suicide as being somehow "wrong", whether for religious, moral or emotional reasons. A few others see it as a liberating choice, spending no small amount of time considering and planning their last departure.

Personally I long ago adopted the warrior mindset that tells us to be in control of our lives AND of our deaths; our end should be meaningful, heroic if possible but at the very least well-planned and executed.

I'm debating whether to post my own experiences with suicide here, but I think the possibility might exist that the story I tell might save even one person from making a wrong decision, so as soon as I gather my thoughts on the subject I'll probably post it here.

In the meantime, allow me to just add that there ARE informed ways of making our final exits with a minimum of fuss and disruption to others. Organizations such as The Hemlock Society (which has folded into an organization known as Compassion and Choice) offer support, information and empathy for the seeker as well as their loved ones.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:36 AM

7,032 posts, read 8,372,655 times
Ppl who have got to the brink of suicide and survived are heros because they have reached the final frontier of fear and faced it.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:16 AM

12,941 posts, read 18,848,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Ppl who have got to the brink of suicide and survived are heros because they have reached the final frontier of fear and faced it.
Just my opinion, but I think they've merely glanced at it and retreated - not looked it full in the face and gone over the Barrier - THAT would be the final victory: embracing Death, not just acknowledging it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates