Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 08:02 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
I disagree.

Being unemployed and all, I think ending my life would actually be less selfish. It's not like someone will give me a job if I don't commit suicide.

There are others who consider the unemployed lazy scum, so why not?
That's easy to say, but if you've never gone through the agony of loosing someone,that you deeply cared about, to suicide,you cannot understand the intense pain, and anguish, that is left behind.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Plus easier to say than do it.That is why most are pushed over theedge by drink or drug at the time they do it.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:49 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,283 times
It all comes down to personal choice, and personal freedom. Period. Nobody has the right to tell anyone they should not do it. Especially if the person considering suicide has exhausted all options available to them. If the potential suicider wants to end their life it is up to them. I'll even take it a step further to say that person should never be judged or called the typical word "coward" for their act. You dont know what kind of pain lurks in ones body, mind, heart, and soul therefore you should NEVER talk ill or judge one who commits suicide.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:53 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
It all comes down to personal choice, and personal freedom. Period. Nobody has the right to tell anyone they should not do it. Especially if the person considering suicide has exhausted all options available to them. If the potential suicider wants to end their life it is up to them. I'll even take it a step further to say that person should never be judged or called the typical word "coward" for their act. You dont know what kind of pain lurks in ones body, mind, heart, and soul therefore you should NEVER talk ill or judge one who commits suicide.
I will mourn my smart, kind and amazing friend for the rest of my life and wish things could be different. He killed himself 27 years ago, this month. Time doesn't change the loss or love. Drugs for depression available now might have saved his life. We will never know. I miss him.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 03-25-2011 at 03:26 PM..

Old 03-25-2011, 04:22 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I will mourn my smart, kind and amazing friend for the rest of my life and wish things could be different. He killed himself 27 years ago, this month. Time doesn't change the loss or love. Drugs for depression available now might have saved his life. We will never know. I miss him.
That's sad and I am sorry you still miss him. Many people today still commit suicide on these drugs. Why question whether these drugs would have saved him? Some call me cold, and I am at times, but he must have been in more pain than you or I could ever comprehend to go through with his suicide, a final act of desperation. Would you have wanted him to go on in this kind of pain? Are you missing him because you feel guilty that you did not intervene?

Old 03-25-2011, 06:35 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
That's sad and I am sorry you still miss him. Many people today still commit suicide on these drugs. Why question whether these drugs would have saved him? We will never know. Some call me cold, and I am at times, but he must have been in more pain than you or I could ever comprehend to go through with his suicide, a final act of desperation. Would you have wanted him to go on in this kind of pain? I answered this question on 11/13/10 in this thread. Are you missing him because you feel guilty that you did not intervene? No, I don't feel guilty. He made the choice, not me.
OK, jc76.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:02 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,204 times
Quote:
Well, I must say that I used to be a staunch dis-believer in what you said above...until just recently when i watched an actual assisted suicide on Frontline on TV . The terminally ill Patient had advanced ALS or Lou Gerigs Disease which all eventually die of by suffocating in their own fluids trying to get air into their lungs. This person was late 40's in age (I believe) and was married. Him and his wife travelled to Sweden where assisted suicide is legal . I was struck at how dignified the whole process was by him willingly drinking two seperate concoctions ... the first to coat his stomach and the second to actually put him to sleep and to stop his heart and breathing. They filmed the actual process which took roughly 20 min. total to complete his request. His wife was there rubbing his feet the whole time and some classical music was playing in the background that he had chosen. I admired the guys courage so as not to put his family thru a terrible ordeal of slowly dying of this terrible disease. I have since changed my mind about assisted suicide BUT only for those who have a very incurable terminal disease that would be extremely tough on the victim as well as the family/friends. I saw alot of dignity with the way it was handled on Frontline . So im now inclind to believe it is a good thing for very limited and certain diseases and to make absolutely sure the Victim is in a right frame of mind .

Old 03-26-2011, 09:57 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I think that regardless of why someone commits suicide a mental issue is at stake. The individual had to rationalize something in order for him to decide to commit suicide. I do not think someone just wakes up and thinks, MMMM? I think I will commit suicide and see how it is like.

People commit suicide for so many reasons. It could be to end pain whether it is emotional or physical to the point that is unbereable to that individual.
Others my find themselve in such a situation where they think there is no other option but to end life so they can get out of that.

Regardless of the reason people are in a very stressful emotional state and at times reasoning abilities are not at full strenght and they may find themselves not able to see many other options available.
That is why many people before they attempt to kill themselve actually do give signals to others of their intentions. It seems it is a subconscious cry for help as many have said when they found themselves considering killing themselves.
In a less extreme case may be when someone had cut off one of their limbs as the only option to ease the pain.
Others jump from a burning fire for a high rise building. Do they think they will survive the jump? Do they really want to jump? Most probably not but the option may be better in their eyes. They were under such stress that they did not see any other way out of the situation so they simply jump, take care.

I think it's important to consider that some people, either at the beginning of a terminal/very disabling illness or just at a particular point in their lives may have made a decision that in the presence of A, B and C they would end their lives.
Now that decision was made before A, B and C were present and when it comes to the crunch their decision may change, but to me they made a very reasoned decision, before they were ill.
And this might be a psychiatric illness or a physical illness.

How /where/when we die is something people seem to have very little control of here in the USA, but it's obviously different in other countries.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:03 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
That's easy to say, but if you've never gone through the agony of loosing someone,that you deeply cared about, to suicide,you cannot understand the intense pain, and anguish, that is left behind.
If there's no one to care, then there's nothing to worry about on that note. The only consideration might be that it's a little inconsiderate for someone to have to clean up your corpse after finding you weeks later.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:13 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,029,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Suicide is almost always associated with mental health issues and bad circumstances in life leading to it. I have been recently debating weather a mentally stable person can use reasons/facts to determine they should commit suicide?

I personally think people could have nothing wrong with them but end up deciding suicide is a good a choice as any in life. The basic is idea is a person weighs the Pros and Cons of continuing to live life. If the Cons out weighs the Pros, they person can accurately make the judgement it isn't worth living any more. Here is good site with more detailed info: Rational Suicide.

What do you guys think of this topic?

It can seem to be the only way out sometimes, and to many, it probably is. Until you know what is going on in someone else’s life, their need to be free from the toils and tribulations of their life can’t be comprehended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates