U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-10-2011, 06:23 PM

4,179 posts, read 5,668,632 times

Advertisements

I once wrote a pamphlet on how to commit suicide effectively. Most of the folks I knew used suicide as a threat, an attention-getter, something for drama queens to use to scream "Look at ME!!" and to try to make people feel guilty for how they were treated. I don't have any sympathy for suicides like that.

Our family is Irish, and depression runs like a river through us all. The aunt I was named after was permanently committed for her extreme depression; my father was an alcoholic for many years because of it, and in his later years quit and changed his direction. I have had to teach all of my children to overcome it. Mostly we just accept it - "I'll take a hot bath, curl up in bed with some chocolates and wine, and read or watch TV - and be determined to feel this way until I don't, any more." Writing about our feelings helps, too; either to ourselves or to each other. Although I've taught them to tear it up when they are done so it doesn't hang like a cloud around them. Usually when one contemplates suicide, they realize the impact they will have on others - and that there will be nothing to experience, look forward to, or appreciate any more. I've never brought in the mystical God and guilt trips like "You CAN'T - you'll go straight to HELL!" - usually we just discuss our feelings until we rationalize our way out of it. We have gotten a lot closer through the years after puberty, as my kids felt they could discuss every and any thing, every and any feeling, without feeling stupid or guilty or bad or wrong for having them. So will my kids commit suicide eventually? It's a possibility. But if they do, it will be rationally, when they feel that they have done it and seen it all, or if they simply do not choose to survive a debilitating disease, after they have reasoned out all of their alternatives and potentials.

So can someone rationally and reasonably, in their right minds, commit suicide? Absolutely. Is it anyone else's business? No. Should they be forced to accept "help" that they do not feel they want or need? No. It is a personal choice. Some people choose dangerous professions, others choose dangerous or unhealthy lifestyles, to commit suicide by either chance or inches. It is their choice - as long as they do not try to drag anyone else down with them, or make anyone else pay for their choices.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:01 PM

5,227 posts, read 4,974,934 times
I think so, but many people will say a person is obviously nuts if they want to kill themselves. I tend to believe a person can do what they want if its not hurting anyone else. I wouldn't necessarilly "agree" with it, its just none of my business & I sure wouldn't want to see people locked up for doing what they want with their lives.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:47 AM

521 posts, read 1,414,326 times
I think it has to do with how you view the idea of life and death. I truly believe that there is a life after death. That we move from life to life, death to death, gaining experiences along the way. I do not fear death because it is not an end. So I do not fear suicide. My life is my own and my death should be my own. I will end this life when and how I choose to, if fate does not end it sooner.
That being said , what keeps me from committing suicide during the down times in life? (Believe me, I have been close.)
I do not want to cause pain to my friends and family, who may not see things as I do and who feel that when we die we will never see each other again. I have made it clear to those closest to me that when I become a burden to them I will cross over and see them again when their time comes.
Have Faith

Old 10-16-2011, 08:28 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,314,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Sure someone can. Let's say you are a healthy 85 year old. You figure you have had a good life and you are still at your peak and you are at peace with the world and yourself. Why not check out if you want to? It is not up to the govt. to tell you that you can't and it is not up to someone else and their notion of religion to tell you not to. It is the ultimate in individual liberty to make that decision.
Here's an example of the scenarios you site.

Chester Nimitz, Jr., one-star Admiral in the United States Navy, son of the famous World War II five-star Admiral committed suicide in 2002 along with his wife, at the age of 86 (she was 89) by taking sleeping pills. The note left behind included the following:

"Our decision was made over a considerable period of time and was not carried out in acute desperation. Nor is it the expression of a mental illness. We have consciously, rationally, deliberately and of our own free will taken measures to end our lives today because of the physical limitations on our quality of life placed upon us by age, failing vision, osteoporosis, back and painful orthopedic problems."

Apparently they made the very simple calculation that dying was preferable to continuing to live.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:38 PM

15,780 posts, read 14,039,488 times
Late to the party, but an old friend of mine committed suicide earlier this year. She was terminally ill and was starting to slide downhill to a place she really didn't like. Her prognosis gave her another 6-9 months of worsening health and increased dependence on others, so she weighed her options and decided a bullet in the head was preferable.

Given what she was facing, I can't blame her. I miss her every single day, but since I knew she was terminally ill I had already had some time to adjust to the thought of life without her so her death was not a total shock. But she was very sane and rational about it.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:05 AM

11,000 posts, read 7,085,482 times
Reading these stories I have come to change my mind about suicide. I used to think it was a decision that only a crazy person would make. But I see that isn't true. Factor in that after a certain age a person does realize that not much is going to get better in life, only worse, such as health, financial well-being, and family life. Also a person is done with the youthful longings of love and romance and realizes things are not going to get easier or better. Or if the person has been married for a while, things won't get better with their partner and if there is a change it's not going to be a good one, anyway. So, yeah, maturity sets in and suicide is just a possibility that needs to be explored when you know deep inside that things can only get worse.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:11 AM

22,710 posts, read 17,638,838 times
I know of a mentally healthy and happy man who was put on heart medication (about 30 years ago) and blew his brains out afterwards. There are drugs, unrelated to depression, that make otherwise mentally healthy people have suicidal thoughts and some of them kill themselves.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:18 PM

5,264 posts, read 5,553,819 times
I read a story last year of a lady in Germany. She was around 75 and in good health. She looked into her future and saw a nursing home. Being in Germany, which is an open minded country (as are many European countries), she asked the doctor for some pills and he gave her the ones she needed.

There is something called "quality of life."

A fully sane person can determine that they have no reasons to live. Everything they do is nothing but "busy" and a waste of time.

Many people are in alot of pain and suffering due to their medical conditions and, if given a choice, might like to die.

The U.S. has over crowded prisons. They should ask all those, who have life sentences with no chance of parole, whether they want to go ahead and die or just live in prison the rest of their life. Give them a choice.

Same thing, in my opinion, for people who are trapped in nursing homes.

Elderly and sick are like new born babies and almost helpless.
Babies have a future, quite the opposite for the elderly.

My Uncle is 88, an Aunt age 91 and another lady age 87. I have told them that, at the way they are going, they'll reach age 100 or more.
All 3, without hesitation, said they did not want to live to be 100.
So, they are hoping, they die in their sleep.

Concerning those in prison for life, I meant, that it would be interesting to know what % desire a choice.

Last edited by howard555; 10-18-2011 at 04:31 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 04:20 PM

4,466 posts, read 5,178,381 times
I would like to remind people that this is a thread that should have a serious, rational debate into whether or not otherwise mentally healthy people can commit suicide, if anyone is experiencing a wish to take their life, this would not be the thread to talk about it. Whether one thinks one is otherwise sane or not, I would urge any poster with these thoughts to either create a thread about their situation in the Mental Health forum and/or call 1-800-273-8255 to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline and/or talk to your general physician.

Please keep this thread on topic.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:40 PM

672 posts, read 1,002,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Suicide is almost always associated with mental health issues and bad circumstances in life leading to it. I have been recently debating weather a mentally stable person can use reasons/facts to determine they should commit suicide?

I personally think people could have nothing wrong with them but end up deciding suicide is a good a choice as any in life. The basic is idea is a person weighs the Pros and Cons of continuing to live life. If the Cons out weighs the Pros, they person can accurately make the judgement it isn't worth living any more. Here is good site with more detailed info: Rational Suicide.

What do you guys think of this topic?
I think a mentally stable person can rationally make a choice for themselves. I just watched a new documentary earlier this week that has reaffirmed my belief - How To Die In Oregon on HBO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.