U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 PM

109 posts, read 269,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Here is interesting thought, about allow people who are considering rational suicide talk to psychological counselor to see if they any metal or emotional issues. If there aren't any such issues, the person should be cleared for right to commit suicide. That would be one way to make sure a person isn't making too hasty decision.
But what if the "professional" they talk to has their own moral issue with suicide? They could say the person had mental issues, even if they didn't.

We are human beings and capable of making rational decisions every day. To make the decision of when to end your life should be every persons right. Free will.

My best friend discovered a lump in her breast. She made the rational decision to do nothing, thereby ending her life 13 months later from metastatic breast cancer. Her death certificate states she died from the cancer but in reality, she committed suicide. Did I agree with her decision? Not a the time but, only because I lost my best friend and soul sister. Her reasons may not seem rational to you or I but they were to her. She continued with her life as usual up until two weeks before her death. Now, almost 9 years later I most likely would make the very same decision. Except, rather than suffer the pain she did I would go where they have legal, assisted suicide.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:05 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,500,354 times
I think that your friend was very brave. They do have hospice now, that can give people medication to manage the pain better, and provide end of life comforts for people who choose to not be medically managed forever.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I think that your friend was very brave. They do have hospice now, that can give people medication to manage the pain better, and provide end of life comforts for people who choose to not be medically managed forever.
My partner was just in hospice for 4 days before losing her battle with pancreatic cancer 10/28/10; They are nice and they can manage the pain but the quality of life, at that point, sucks ~ I would not chose that type of end for myself and it was the most difficult event in my life watching her fight for the last 24 hours to stay here with me.....

Old 11-13-2010, 09:41 AM

33,969 posts, read 32,424,502 times
I know of a man who shot himself in the head at home. He was perfectly sane and rational before he had a heart attack and was put on a well-known heart medication that had a known side effect of depression. He was in his 50s, I believe, so it wasn't like he was on death's door and needed to end it all. So, put me down for certain drugs, unrelated to mental problems, causing you to take your life.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:54 AM

2,497 posts, read 6,241,298 times
Nobody chose to be born, but you can decide whether you want to be here or not. It's your life it's your choice. It's that simple really.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:06 AM

11,069 posts, read 6,237,390 times
Until mental health issues are destigmatized and mental health care is available and affordable to everyone, suicide is an option some mentally ill people will take to stop their overwhelming pain. Even with aggressive medical treatment some people suffer debilitating depression for a lifetime. I can't imagine a more difficult pain to bear.

I would support legal physician assisted suicide for a person with a terminal illness, chronic pain, or diminished quality of life, if they choose.
How can any of us judge if another's mental or physical pain is bearable? It is supremely arrogant to do so.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Nobody chose to be born, but you can decide whether you want to be here or not. It's your life it's your choice. It's that simple really.
My philosophy exactly!

Old 11-15-2010, 04:26 PM

11,069 posts, read 6,237,390 times
Glenn Close, an actress and sister of a mentally ill sibling, wrote this on "Huffington Post" 11/14/2010.

"Over 57.7 million Americans -- 26 percent of the country -- live with a diagnosable mental illness in any given year. Yet two-thirds of those affected never seek treatment in large part due to the stigma of being labeled "mentally ill," and the resulting discrimination in social relationships, housing and employment. Tragically, every 17 minutes someone in American commits suicide, 90 percent of whom are living with some form of mental illness. Mental illnesses remain the leading cause of disability in the U.S., costing society over $190 billion annually. One in four families have a family member living with a mental illness."

Old 11-15-2010, 11:28 PM

19,290 posts, read 20,180,205 times
Such widespread definitions of "tragedy" imply a certain imprecision of language. Death is not necessarily a tragedy. It is, rather, a chapter of life which cannot be commented on by the person affected.

While that may well be a cause for sorrow to those left behind, there has as yet been no evidence presented that those who have departed regret having done so.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:31 AM

4,896 posts, read 5,874,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn1209 View Post
My partner was just in hospice for 4 days before losing her battle with pancreatic cancer 10/28/10; They are nice and they can manage the pain but the quality of life, at that point, sucks ~ I would not chose that type of end for myself and it was the most difficult event in my life watching her fight for the last 24 hours to stay here with me.....
This made me cry. I am so sorry for your loss and I wish I knew what to say to help you. I am in Central Fl if you ever need to talk.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates