U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 12:35 PM

3 posts, read 3,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Fair winds and following seas.
Ironicly good quote. My plan is a bridge, (which I will not state here for obvious reasons) just as the highest tidal point begins to go down as my body will be carried out to sea. Researching this particular spot I found that jumpers who do it at that time are usually never found. This is important because I don't want my sister to have to fly out here to identify my body. That would be too cruel.

Thank you for taking time to respond.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I understand that, It'sbeenfun. Only you can decide when enough is enough. Suicide hotlines are full of people who may never have thought of suicide. Who are totally not on the same page as the person on the other end of the line. Not saying they don't try to help or try to do what they think is best. And if there is a chance that you can have a good life still, you should not give up on trying but when you've reached the end of the road, only one person can make that decision. Anyone else can tell you this and that because they are afraid or they feel they have to talk you out of it.
Thank you for your thoughtful post and non-judgmentism. I appreciate it. My mood is up and down today. From being at peace with this to being nervous. But I know that I've finally come to the proper decision. I may not do it tonight. My father is coming next weekend and I will do it before then. Or I may just say screw it and go tonight. I do want to go and see a few things. Last walk on the beach, (already did that this morning), a walk in some snow in the mountains, maybe go see a movie. Walk by a preschool and hear children palying. I've always had a soft spot for the laughter of children. My neices especially. Since I never became a father, just hearing kids playing, bringing me in my mind back to a time when the world was infinite and anything is possible and no made-up game can be played with your friends without constantly re-defining the rules as you go along! Lots of other things I would have always loved to do but since my large savings has disappeared, I haven't the money to do most. I did briefly entertain the possibility of crime. Robbing a store or stealing stuff, but I couldn't go through with it. Anyway, just at least nice to know there are some voices out there, albeit anonymous ones, that care to engage in any sort of dialogue with me.

Thank you again.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:22 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,485,168 times
if I killed myself, I am quite sure it would kill my mother. My dad's life would be in upheaval, but my mom would certainly not survive it. Maybe your dad is a lot stronger than my mom, but I know that I would never kill myself while they are alive. I'd be literally killing her, and that's pretty selfish.

Different situation if I were alone without family.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,115 times
Films of 9/11 show people at the top of a burning building, jumping to their death in order to end their lives relatively quickly and painfully in preference to being burned to death by the approaching flames. Since this is obviously a rational choice, given that they knew they could not be saved before being slowly combusted, the premise of this discussion is established: Sometimes it is rational to commit suicide. Starting from here, we should recognize that all further discussion about suicide is merely a debate about when and where it is likely to be a good idea.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:18 AM

1,913 posts, read 2,440,286 times
The answer to this question is yes. Many suicides are completely rational and well planned out months, sometimes years in advance as a result of a lifetime of incurable suffering or prolonged personal failure, or terminal illness.

The act is only seen as irrational by those who are against it. If you're against something or cannot understand it, it is easier to dismiss it as irrational.

It will almost certainly be the way I choose to go when the time is right. I have no close family, incurable depeessjon and anxiety caused by factors cannot even remotely be altered. If I were to do it, it would be a very rational decision and one that I have thought about for many years. Ultimately, it's my life and I didn't choose to be born or born the way that I am. I can choose to call it quits though and as an individual, that will be my choice.

So yes,, a rational and sane person can commit suicide. I am just as rational and sane as anyone else you'll meet, perhaps more so because I have not succumbed to so many negative human traits that exist.

If you are alone and suffering, I don't see the problem. I would not want to become a burden on society. The prospect of growing older and being this way is far more terrifying than death.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:03 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,739,719 times
Old people that have lived a life to its fullest and have no "F&F's" to take care of them if they get sick or demented; and those unfortunate people with ALS are people that should and often do consider seizing control of their departure. I look at it this way: once you're dead you'll never know the difference and you won't be around to hear the gossip. So?, so what? Japanese do it all the time, and far as I can see, their life on earth is not any worse then anybody else's.

For reasons that I won't relate here, I know for a fact that way more than a few people in the US and other Western countries "check out" on their own. It is NOT as unusual as many people think.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:28 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,660,675 times
Thanks to all participants, it appears this topic has run it's course, as no new viewpoints have been presented in a while. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates