U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 06:36 PM

75 posts, read 172,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn1209 View Post
My partner was just in hospice for 4 days before losing her battle with pancreatic cancer 10/28/10; They are nice and they can manage the pain but the quality of life, at that point, sucks ~ I would not chose that type of end for myself and it was the most difficult event in my life watching her fight for the last 24 hours to stay here with me.....
I am so, so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine watching someone I love go through that...

And you're right, I haven't worked at a hospice, but with elderly who require "in-home care" and the quality of life does suck at that point. Which is exactly WHY I'm okay with "rational suicide". My dad has been given about 2 1/2 years to live. Do I think he should just end it now? Hell no. But if it gets to the point where he's just breathing and has a beating heart but he's barely living? I can't say I'd be mad at him for ending it, and I would support him. He's lived a good life, and I don't want to see him suffer...

Old 11-16-2010, 07:23 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,115,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Suicide is almost always associated with mental health issues and bad circumstances in life leading to it. I have been recently debating weather a mentally stable person can use reasons/facts to determine they should commit suicide?

I personally think people could have nothing wrong with them but end up deciding suicide is a good a choice as any in life. The basic is idea is a person weighs the Pros and Cons of continuing to live life. If the Cons out weighs the Pros, they person can accurately make the judgement it isn't worth living any more. Here is good site with more detailed info: Rational Suicide.

What do you guys think of this topic?
Of course. In fact a more accurate way to put your first sentence would be: "Suicide is almost always associated with mental health issues OR bad circumstances in life..."

Old 11-16-2010, 11:18 PM

16,482 posts, read 20,016,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
I always thought suicide in the young was like giving the rest of the world a final F*** you before they went, leaving everyone else to deal with what they couldn't
Oscar Wilde: Suicide is the highest compliment you can pay society.
Perhaps many of the young are doing that today, complimenting us!

I've always found it amusing to stop a "slow suicide" dead in their paths to destruction (alcoholics/drug addicts/workaholics) and ask them what they think about a sane person committing suicide.

Ever done that? The puzzling looks on their faces, like: who would do such a stupid thing!

And, yet, they're doing such a stupid thing every day and completely unaware of what they're doing!

Workaholics are the worst, because of their extensive "support system" for "committing suicide". You know the twisted thinking of most Americans with protestant work ethics:
"At least he's not drinking or taking drugs!"

Old 11-16-2010, 11:40 PM

24,738 posts, read 26,803,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Suicide is almost always associated with mental health issues and bad circumstances in life leading to it. I have been recently debating weather a mentally stable person can use reasons/facts to determine they should commit suicide?

I personally think people could have nothing wrong with them but end up deciding suicide is a good a choice as any in life. The basic is idea is a person weighs the Pros and Cons of continuing to live life. If the Cons out weighs the Pros, they person can accurately make the judgement it isn't worth living any more. Here is good site with more detailed info: Rational Suicide.

What do you guys think of this topic?
My thought is that suicide can't be rational for the simple reason that you don't know what happens after you die. For a decision to be rational, you have to be sure of the consequence.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:03 AM

951 posts, read 874,049 times
I am not sure how I feel about the question asked, but do want to remark upon the thoughtful answers posted here. And Yankee2Texan, your reply showed a tremendous capacity for compassion and understanding. I gave you a rep. but don't know how to put a message with it.

I have battled depression all my life. It runs in our family. I also have battled the thought of suicide many times. I tell myself to give it until tommorrow, and always am glad I am around to wake up. That doesn't mean it's easy. Fighting depression is just that: a fight. Takes energy and comittment (no, not that kind lol). I wish there wasn't such a stigma attached to mental illness in our society. And I also wish people wouldn't be cavalier about it, or dismiss the whole concept as being "weak", "self-centered", or some such adjective.

Sorry---guess I'm veering off-topic. I think suicide has traditionally been frowned upon because of the fear that if it were accepted, too many would end their lives in haste. I would compare it to abortion in this country. I have no facts to back this up, but it wouldn't surprise me that the percentage of women having an abortion since it was made legally available and relatively safe, and more accepted, is higher than in years before. I wonder if suicide were to become less frowned upon if the number of those who chose it wouldn't also go up. Thus the fear behind the argument against it.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:56 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,702,149 times
I suspect that, in some cases, suicide is an act of self-defense.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:13 AM

465 posts, read 357,922 times
Of course a rational person could commit suicide.

I always thought that if a had a terminal disease, when i'm in the finall stages and i'm on death's doorstep I would end it myself.

Western mentality is really anti-suicide mostly because of religious dogma. But in lots of cultures suicide can be the most honorable thing a person can possibly do.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:06 AM

7,032 posts, read 8,380,000 times
The answer is NO.

(and I'm non-religious)

Old 11-17-2010, 06:09 AM

7,032 posts, read 8,380,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Oscar Wilde: Suicide is the highest compliment you can pay society.
Perhaps many of the young are doing that today, complimenting us!
Just as many older people would be complimenting us by bumping themselves off too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've always found it amusing to stop a "slow suicide" dead in their paths to destruction (alcoholics/drug addicts/workaholics) and ask them what they think about a sane person committing suicide.

Ever done that? The puzzling looks on their faces, like: who would do such a stupid thing!

And, yet, they're doing such a stupid thing every day and completely unaware of what they're doing!

Workaholics are the worst, because of their extensive "support system" for "committing suicide". You know the twisted thinking of most Americans with protestant work ethics:
"At least he's not drinking or taking drugs!"
It's not suicide if they are NOT INTENDING to kill themselves through the act.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:23 PM

405 posts, read 1,302,676 times
I knew someone who committed suicide. He never had mental issues or tried to harm himself before. Basically he got in an accident, couldn't work for a while and felt down on life. I assume got depressed from not being able to take care of his family or himself. He had to rely on other people to get out the house and do things outside the house. He wasn't the only provider but as a man he didn't like not being a bread winner in the household. I don't think his wife helped him feel better about the situation either. So instead of living with the burden he ended his life.

So yes a mentally sane person can commit suicide. If you mean never having acted on or attempting it before. I think maybe at the moment no one is really "mentally healthy" to do such an act. Something has gone wrong somewhere to make them think this is all I can do. No matter if it's an elderly person thinking they have lived there life to the fullest extend or someone who is depressed. They know at that moment it is not a normal act so in that sense no one is "in their right mind" when they commit suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates