U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 10:49 AM

2,653 posts, read 4,101,101 times

Advertisements

I work with the military. A high ranking civilian guy talked to the press and it made the news the next day. That morning he committed suicide. Rewind to 10 years ago, a woman in his position made the news for illegally trading contracts. She was crucified in the press. She went to jail as well. Maybe he felt it would happen to him.

He never had problems in the past.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:59 PM

16,485 posts, read 20,022,997 times
I think it's easier to commit suicide if you've witnessed other people in your life, who've you've respected and admired, who have killed themselves.

I know of two people in my 60 years who have done it, and that will make it easier for me when the time comes.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:08 PM

525 posts, read 1,249,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I think it's easier to commit suicide if you've witnessed other people in your life, who've you've respected and admired, who have killed themselves.

I know of two people in my 60 years who have done it, and that will make it easier for me when the time comes.

I've known like 5 people that've done it. none of them were 30 yet. One of them was a young teen. I also had a friend who OD'd at a young age though it wasn't a suicide

Old 11-19-2010, 03:39 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,461 times
Crazy post that one might not want to visit. Me....after living with a schizophrenic mom since the age of 10 and I'm left alone to fend for my baby sister. Worst TX heatwave ever. No power, no food my Mom and 3 yr old sis are living in a storage unit , that we eventually lost everything. Me, in a nasty rodent infested trailer w/ no power and the locals fed me. Yes, I wanted to kill myself. Instead someone gave me pot. It bought me time to understand what was going on. I saved myself and my 5 year old sister. I made a tremendous amount of money and my baby sis is great. Granted, my 1st marriage was to a horrible abusive man. I tried to kill myself a few times and it didn't work. God has bigger plans for me............Me? tough as **** person that has survived what people only read about. I don't need to elaborate.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:48 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,252,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Suicide is almost always associated with mental health issues and bad circumstances in life leading to it. I have been recently debating weather a mentally stable person can use reasons/facts to determine they should commit suicide? </p>
I personally think people could have nothing wrong with them but end up deciding suicide is a good a choice as any in life. The basic is idea is a person weighs the Pros and Cons of continuing to live life. If the Cons out weighs the Pros, they person can accurately make the judgement it isn't worth living any more. Here is good site with more detailed info: Rational Suicide.

What do you guys think of this topic?
I have mentioned in previous posts on cd that suicide kind of &quot;runs in my family&quot;. For some reason, it has never been considered a shameful act or even one that bears much consideration in the grand scheme of things.I have never thought of either of my two uncles, nor my grandfather as having been mentally ill at the time that they committed suicide. One uncle was under some pretty serious stress at the time that he wandered off into the desert, but other than that, I think he was totally rational and had his wits about him. My other uncle was quite sane, a genius even, albeit a lonely one. He might have been a bit shy and less than social, but mentally ill? I never saw any sign of that.For some folks (me included), suicide is not the horrific end that the tabloids would have you believe. I have often imagined that when I feel it is my time to &quot;go&quot;, I will be the one making the final decision as to how and when. It's a bit of a comforting thought, actually.So to answer your question. Rational suicide definitely exists and mental illness is not a prerequesite to killing yourself. IMHO.20yrsinBranson

Old 11-20-2010, 10:58 AM

2,996 posts, read 4,757,491 times
Quote:
Suicide is almost always associated with mental health issues and bad circumstances in life leading to it. I have been recently debating weather a mentally stable person can use reasons/facts to determine they should commit suicide?

I personally think people could have nothing wrong with them but end up deciding suicide is a good a choice as any in life. The basic is idea is a person weighs the Pros and Cons of continuing to live life. If the Cons out weighs the Pros, they person can accurately make the judgement it isn't worth living any more. Here is good site with more detailed info: Rational Suicide.

Any kind of suicide is an affront to God who created life and us in his image. It would behooves us all to remember that the Creator of the Universe has feelings too . We should allow him to take us when he deems fit .

Old 12-20-2010, 08:50 AM

12,438 posts, read 14,569,865 times
I don't think that people who have nothing wrong with them (pysically or mentally) would consider suicide.There is always some way that these people can be an asset to society.I think that suicide is something that is seen as a last and final release of emotional or physical pain for all those contemplating it..Suicide hurts the people left behind the most, and I view it as a last highly selfish act.There can be no rationalizing the act of suicide, as the taking of life before it's time is almost always a tragedy.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:36 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,490,307 times
ive kind of wondered if there's ever a good reason to commit suicide. like what if your kid dies and you can't deal with the pain? still i dont think it's ever a good idea, but some people really do suffer.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:52 AM

2,996 posts, read 4,757,491 times
Quote:
Suicide is almost always associated with mental health issues and bad circumstances in life leading to it. I have been recently debating weather a mentally stable person can use reasons/facts to determine they should commit suicide?

I think it is highly irrational and absolutely incorrect for people to commit suicide who have nothing wrong with them -- it seems that no one would want to do that if they were mentally sound, physically healthy, and had a good outlook on life. For those folks who have chronic ongoing severe pain to the point where they are never free from it...it begs the question whether it is more permissible in very extreme situations and, toward the end of life . Having said all that, there is something inherently wrong with anyone ending their life early as all life is a gift from The Creator ; I think a far better alternative is to make your life as meaningful and purposeful as possible with those around you, and to never loose hope of eternity which (for some) will mean never having to feel pain ever again .

Old 12-30-2010, 06:59 PM

932 posts, read 944,532 times
This is a difficult subject for many people to deal with because of our natural fear of death, but (call me crazy) suicide should be acceptable under certain circumstances, including terminal illness or even an individual who has no dependents and simply decides that he or she has "had enough" and wishes to bow out gracefully, rather than become a burden on society and frowned upon for being a burden. Why does the ultimate choice to end one's life have to be associated with mental illness? And even if someone suffering from an incurable mental illness wishes to end their suffering, why should they not be granted their wish?

Tough subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.