U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 08:49 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,135,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Any kind of suicide is an affront to God who created life and us in his image. It would behooves us all to remember that the Creator of the Universe has feelings too . We should allow him to take us when he deems fit .
What if whenever you decide to go is when he sees fit? Since we are made in his image shouldn't we then know when it is time to go?

Old 12-30-2010, 08:55 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,135,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Suicide is almost always associated with mental health issues and bad circumstances in life leading to it. I have been recently debating weather a mentally stable person can use reasons/facts to determine they should commit suicide?

I personally think people could have nothing wrong with them but end up deciding suicide is a good a choice as any in life. The basic is idea is a person weighs the Pros and Cons of continuing to live life. If the Cons out weighs the Pros, they person can accurately make the judgement it isn't worth living any more. Here is good site with more detailed info: Rational Suicide.

What do you guys think of this topic?
I think if somebody is just plain bored / tired of eking out an existence with no belief towards a greater purpose, and nobody to live for (or take care of), then it makes sense to kill yourself.

You can feel that life is pointless without being clinically depressed. Maybe I will do this one day but for now I still feel like I have things to accomplish and people to live for.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:07 PM

932 posts, read 945,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I think if somebody is just plain bored / tired of eking out an existence with no belief towards a greater purpose, and nobody to live for (or take care of), then it makes sense to kill yourself.

You can feel that life is pointless without being clinically depressed. Maybe I will do this one day but for now I still feel like I have things to accomplish and people to live for.
I repped you for this, but I wish I could rep you more. This is exactly how I feel - that if you have bugger all to lose and no dependants, why not? People should be allowed to die humanely, if that's their choice, especially if they have no dependants (no children, no husband or wife). Modern society is a lonely and miserable place for millions of people. As a society, we are quick to label such people as depressed to pump them with pills, but we never accept that sometimes the best option for many people with failed existences is just to opt out and call it quits, with some sense of pride. Many of these people have no loved ones. Why not allow them to die in a humane way? For some, just waking up to the world as it is torture.

For many, life is pointless and empty. Society has evolved in such a way that many people end up marginalised and lost.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:21 PM

12,748 posts, read 7,371,423 times
I believe that committing suicide is like quitting high school in the 10th grade. Everyone needs to learn the lessons of life. sometimes the most important lessons come near the end of life. Think of death as your final exam. You have to take it to pass the course. Suicide is circumventing the cycle of birth, life and death. That's what I think.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:57 PM

12,697 posts, read 9,466,900 times
See for example http://economics.uchicago.edu/download/Suicide_An_Economic_Approach_4.pdf (broken link).

There is a little math in it; let me know if you need the math explained.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:37 PM

109 posts, read 269,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I believe that committing suicide is like quitting high school in the 10th grade. Everyone needs to learn the lessons of life. sometimes the most important lessons come near the end of life. Think of death as your final exam. You have to take it to pass the course. Suicide is circumventing the cycle of birth, life and death. That's what I think.
since I quit school in the 10th grade then I guess it would only be fitting for me to quit life now.... I am one of those with no dependents, not really doing a "meaningful" job and having just lost my life partner feel wtf, why am I still here and why should I stay when all I want is to be with my love..... and none of the 'god has a plan for you" because that makes absolutely no sense to me what so ever.... it's my life to do with as I see fit and if it doesn't hurt someone else, why should it matter what I chose to do? I'm not mentally ill, am quite intelligent, philosophical at times and very loving and generous but I just don't see the point in being here any longer...

Old 01-02-2011, 09:44 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,316,080 times
Yes, it can either be related to avoiding pain, or financial expense.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:45 AM

10,996 posts, read 11,148,509 times
Sometimes a person thinks they have it worse than anybody else and are ready to take the first exit. But the truth is, that everybody has some grief in their lives. The moment you start thinking that your pain is more horrible than anybody else's is when you should consider why that is and ask yourself if you were to have a million dollars, would your troubles go away, or would they remain? If your problems were to remain, then the issue is more about some guilt or self-hatred. If it's emotional pain you are experiencing because of a break-up or someone dieing, go back in time to before you met this person you miss. Were you happy then? If not, then what was stopping you from killing yourself then?

The mind likes to play tricks on people sometimes. And yes, it is the mind. In excessive heat, the brain starts frying and it leads to temporary insanity until cool is restored.Sometimes, it's not the heat, but a combination of coffee and chocolate that makes your mind be chemically depressed for a moment. What makes a person decide to commit suicide later, instead of right now? Ask yourself that when you are ready to pull the trigger or jump off a tall building. Why did you wait till noon when you could have done it this morning? The answer is that the mind is experiencing depression for some reason. The mind is focusing on the negative, instead of the positive. It is the mind that is overwhelmed.

So to answer the OP, I would say that I think the mind is responsible for suicide, and thoughts are hardly rational upon suicide.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:25 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,316,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Sometimes a person thinks they have it worse than anybody else and are ready to take the first exit. But the truth is, that everybody has some grief in their lives. The moment you start thinking that your pain is more horrible than anybody else's is when you should consider why that is and ask yourself if you were to have a million dollars, would your troubles go away, or would they remain? If your problems were to remain, then the issue is more about some guilt or self-hatred. If it's emotional pain you are experiencing because of a break-up or someone dieing, go back in time to before you met this person you miss. Were you happy then? If not, then what was stopping you from killing yourself then?

The mind likes to play tricks on people sometimes. And yes, it is the mind. In excessive heat, the brain starts frying and it leads to temporary insanity until cool is restored.Sometimes, it's not the heat, but a combination of coffee and chocolate that makes your mind be chemically depressed for a moment. What makes a person decide to commit suicide later, instead of right now? Ask yourself that when you are ready to pull the trigger or jump off a tall building. Why did you wait till noon when you could have done it this morning? The answer is that the mind is experiencing depression for some reason. The mind is focusing on the negative, instead of the positive. It is the mind that is overwhelmed.

So to answer the OP, I would say that I think the mind is responsible for suicide, and thoughts are hardly rational upon suicide.
Chronic physical pain is the kind I was referring to, and the financial expense of medical treatment to help keep you alive, or being unable to be the financial breadwinner for your family any longer is sufficient justification.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:08 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,585,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Chronic physical pain is the kind I was referring to, and the financial expense of medical treatment to help keep you alive, or being unable to be the financial breadwinner for your family any longer is sufficient justification.
I've had all those and wasn't able to commit suicide. Now, I'm glad I didn't because those things have gone away and life is much better. How does one know for sure that things won't get better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates