U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:37 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,319,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I think it is highly irrational and absolutely incorrect for people to commit suicide who have nothing wrong with them -- it seems that no one would want to do that if they were mentally sound, physically healthy, and had a good outlook on life. For those folks who have chronic ongoing severe pain to the point where they are never free from it...it begs the question whether it is more permissible in very extreme situations and, toward the end of life . Having said all that, there is something inherently wrong with anyone ending their life early as all life is a gift from The Creator ; I think a far better alternative is to make your life as meaningful and purposeful as possible with those around you, and to never loose hope of eternity which (for some) will mean never having to feel pain ever again .
I believe in God & dont think a person has the ability to change his plan for us. Its impossible for us to understand why but we die when God wants us to die & theres nothing we can do about it. In other words interfering with a suicide might be just as much screwing with Gods gift as committing it. Personally I think its a rather personal thing & never could understand why everyone (other than family) gets so involved in it.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:53 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,266,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
I've had all those and wasn't able to commit suicide. Now, I'm glad I didn't because those things have gone away and life is much better. How does one know for sure that things won't get better?
If you can't pay your own way, who are you sucking dry? As for me, I'll do the honorable thing, should the time come.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:32 AM

On another note...to be is to do. When you can no longer do, you cease to have a reason to be.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:55 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
Mental health issues without a doubt. If one is weighing whether or not their current life situation merits continuing, how can they actually make a rational decision that death would be a better choice? Suicide is a desperate act often by someone who was unable to discuss the real issues with someone else. A true friend is priceless, religious counsel also. Life is so precious and although mine isn't easy, hasn't been easy and I don't see it ever being easy, I want to continue to smell the roses far into the future if possible, appreciate every day as a gift from God.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:10 AM

By making it well before they end up in that situation.

When they are in good mental health.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:23 AM

994 posts, read 1,413,678 times
I think that if you want to off yourself you should go for it and not worry what anyone else thinks about it.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:15 AM

10,996 posts, read 11,136,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
I think that if you want to off yourself you should go for it and not worry what anyone else thinks about it.
That is what people who do it think. They hardly ever think about the pain a family member will go through. Or how they could have helped someone in the future. Someone that they love. Instead, if heaven does exist, they might find themselves in the afterlife wishing they could be alive to help a sister or friend or mother, or kid, that is suffering because nobody but the dead person cared about them and now they are all alone. Sometimes, that's what happens. One person dies and the ones left behind have a hard time dealing with it.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:47 PM

8,004 posts, read 9,653,945 times
Default The ethics of suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Sometimes the thought of losing one's life is attractive compared to the alternatives...
How is that not simply more selfishness? There are a whole lot of people out there who have contemplated eating a bullet or downing a bottle of pills. It's a lack of selfishness that keeps people from taking what they consider to be the "easy way out"....the ultimate give up. If you have children, or any family who care for you, or friends who care for you, you owe it to THEM to pull your self-pitying butt out of the hole you're in and do the best that you can to make the necessary changes in your life.

Anyone who has people who care about them, and yet get so buried in self-pity that they end their lives are nothing more than selfish....that's selfishness of the worst kind.

Last edited by JustJulia; 02-28-2011 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: Splitting one thread into two.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:09 PM

12,941 posts, read 18,850,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
How is that not simply more selfishness? There are a whole lot of people out there who have contemplated eating a bullet or downing a bottle of pills. It's a lack of selfishness that keeps people from taking what they consider to be the "easy way out"....the ultimate give up. If you have children, or any family who care for you, or friends who care for you, you owe it to THEM to pull your self-pitying butt out of the hole you're in and do the best that you can to make the necessary changes in your life.

Anyone who has people who care about them, and yet get so buried in self-pity that they end their lives are nothing more than selfish....that's selfishness of the worst kind.
Sometimes there are circumstances that ameliorate bonds between family or friends.

Bitterness through medical reasons, for example...terminal illness. One could be displaying bitterness through terminal illness and take one's life. Is that "wrong"?

The "easy way out" might appear to be so through OUR eyes, yet when presented with the fact of imminent painful death it changes character.

(Spoken from personal experience)

Last edited by JustJulia; 02-28-2011 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: Never mind!

Old 02-27-2011, 11:15 PM

8,004 posts, read 9,653,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Sometimes there are circumstances that ameliorate bonds between family or friends.

Bitterness through medical reasons, for example...terminal illness. One could be displaying bitterness through terminal illness and take one's life. Is that "wrong"?

The "easy way out" might appear to be so through OUR eyes, yet when presented with the fact of imminent painful death it changes character.

(Spoken from personal experience)
Admittedly...there are exceptions. In terminal illness cases, medically assisted 'departure' can be a blessing, not only to the "victim" but to the family as well. P.S. I am truly sorry for your personal experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates