Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 04:16 PM

868 posts, read 1,121,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
I don't think any of those reasons are good enough not to stick around.

What is wrong with living life just for yourself? So what if you don't have kids, friends, a SO or close family members? Your life belongs to you. You shouldn't feel like you need to exist for someone else. You already have a purpose: finding your own happiness.
I disagree with you, but I thank you for your kind words and your honesty. My post was not a drive for pity, but an example. I am rational, not mentally ill, yet I know what I have to do at some point. No 401k, no savings, no family, no one depends on me. When I say "last call" oh my own life, that will be my own decision and no one will be directly affected by it. I have gone through a lot of torment, I don't much like society as it is now and I don't get any joy out of living in it. I hope that's "rational" enough for people to understand. I'm not some loon who needs to be shoved in a straight jacket and I'm zero threat to anyone else. The world will go on fine after I'm gone. At least I hope so.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i think it is possible. i think that is certainly true in japan and may also be true or becoming true here as we become more complex and mature.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:28 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Suicide is almost always associated with mental health issues and bad circumstances in life leading to it. I have been recently debating weather a mentally stable person can use reasons/facts to determine they should commit suicide?

I personally think people could have nothing wrong with them but end up deciding suicide is a good a choice as any in life. The basic is idea is a person weighs the Pros and Cons of continuing to live life. If the Cons out weighs the Pros, they person can accurately make the judgement it isn't worth living any more. Here is good site with more detailed info: Rational Suicide.

What do you guys think of this topic?

I don't understand the person in the article. Were they really without any mental or physical problems? Just committed suicide because they felt they had no more important things left to do & were afraid they would be in pain some time in the future? It sounds really strange to me. I guess even a young person could use the argument I might be in pain someday, so I need to kill myself now so I don't have to worry about it anymore. At what age, if any, does it make sense to kill oneself because of something that will probably happen one of these years?

30% of the population dies from cancer, & if they get the typical treatments, they probably will die from the cancer, if not from the treatment. I've read about people from 2 to 82 that were cured of cancer using cannabis oil, but most people will never hear about it, let alone get this treatment.

In reading about 120+ conditions helped by cannabis on rxmarijuana dot com/ , it really sticks on my mind that many said they were considering suicide after trying about everything doctors could offer & somehow they heard of "marijuana" just in time & someone offered them some & they felt better very soon. So many of them said they were strongly against it as they believed the govt-corp lies, and said they hated being criminals & feared being caught, but once it made them feel better, they wanted to continue living.

There are 400 alternative/natural cancer cures at cancertutor dot com/

I would need a lot of help understanding why anyone in good mental & physical health would want to commit suicide. I've got about 20 health problems that seem permanent & pretty much can't function as my meds leave me with 24/7 exhaustion. Maybe I could get off them if I could use cannabis several times daily, but it's not gonna happen at $300-$500 an ounce. I also don't know why I don't kill myself, maybe because it would be another victory for our govt-corp alliance.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:14 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
I don't understand the person in the article. Were they really without any mental or physical problems? Just committed suicide because they felt they had no more important things left to do & were afraid they would be in pain some time in the future? It sounds really strange to me. I guess even a young person could use the argument I might be in pain someday, so I need to kill myself now so I don't have to worry about it anymore. At what age, if any, does it make sense to kill oneself because of something that will probably happen one of these years?

30% of the population dies from cancer, & if they get the typical treatments, they probably will die from the cancer, if not from the treatment. I've read about people from 2 to 82 that were cured of cancer using cannabis oil, but most people will never hear about it, let alone get this treatment.

In reading about 120+ conditions helped by cannabis on rxmarijuana dot com/ , it really sticks on my mind that many said they were considering suicide after trying about everything doctors could offer & somehow they heard of "marijuana" just in time & someone offered them some & they felt better very soon. So many of them said they were strongly against it as they believed the govt-corp lies, and said they hated being criminals & feared being caught, but once it made them feel better, they wanted to continue living.

There are 400 alternative/natural cancer cures at cancertutor dot com/

I would need a lot of help understanding why anyone in good mental & physical health would want to commit suicide. I've got about 20 health problems that seem permanent & pretty much can't function as my meds leave me with 24/7 exhaustion. Maybe I could get off them if I could use cannabis several times daily, but it's not gonna happen at $300-$500 an ounce. I also don't know why I don't kill myself, maybe because it would be another victory for our govt-corp alliance.
Do you have any idea how long an ounce of cannabis could last? Plus if it replaces some of your other meds the cost wouldn't be so high for you.

It should definitely be legal. It is a ridiculous and embarrassing reflection on this country that it isn't.

As for suicide, some people with your limited functionality would not see the benefit in going on.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:51 AM

652 posts, read 873,548 times
The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.
Ernest Hemingway

“Thus we have on stage two men, each of whom knows nothing of what he believes the other knows, and to deceive each other reciprocally both speak in allusions, each of the two hoping (in vain) that the other holds the key to his puzzle.”
Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before

Gunter Sachs committed suicide on 7 May 2011 by a gunshot wound to the head at his home in Gstaad, Switzerland. The suicide note stated that he acted because of what he defined as "hopeless illness A." (which some have speculated to be Alzheimer's adding that "The loss of mental control over my life was an undignified condition, which I decided to counter decisively".
Gunter Sachs

Of the above 3, Umberto Eco is still living. Gunter Sachs statement is one of my personal favorites. Extremely well written and logically thought out. The smartest people in this world usually are philosophers or writers. They often have the most interesting yet tragic lives. Ernest Hemingway's quote is a lesson in life. Few people learn how this world works from those who came before them.

The best question is where do the dead people go when they die?

Old 11-26-2012, 09:58 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
People have the right to die if they so wish to no matter what you think. However, you have a right to not assist that person in any way. I had to deal with this from experience. A friend of mine committed suicide and I got word of his intentions and spoke to him. What did I say to him? I told him that if suicide is what he needs to achieve peace then I wouldn't begrudge him for it. He died a couple of days later. I feel no remorse and if I talked to him over again then I would say the same thing.
You encouraged him to commit suicide? Shame on you! I begrudge you for it. Anyone who assists or encourages suicide is a horrible human being. The fact that you feel no remorse is a prime example of what's wrong with America. You are a horrible person.

I'm sorry but that's one of those things where my opinion becomes fact. My morals and values tell me that life is precious and should be valued. It's hard too. You don't commit suicide EVER. You don't encourage someone to do so. If you do, you're a murderer and a horrible human being. I hope to never meet anyone like you in person; because my morals and values would tell me to I don't know...at the very least avoid you like the plague. I don't want YOUR morals and values or lack thereof near me.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Beyond children, if you act to kill yourself, you should be able to. Rationality doesn't factor in death as it doesn't factor in life either, necessarily.
What the hell is wrong with people? Is there no sense of humanity or caring about people? We should care about other people! They shouldn't be encouraged or allowed to kill themselves. Where are the morals in this country????

Old 11-26-2012, 10:39 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,119,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
What the hell is wrong with people? Is there no sense of humanity or caring about people? We should care about other people! They shouldn't be encouraged or allowed to kill themselves. Where are the morals in this country????
But it has nothing to do with morals. It really just comes down to It's their life. We don't tell people how to live their lives nor should we dictate to people who've come to a rational decision that they can't end it if they choose to do so.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:39 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
You encouraged him to commit suicide? Shame on you! I begrudge you for it. Anyone who assists or encourages suicide is a horrible human being. The fact that you feel no remorse is a prime example of what's wrong with America. You are a horrible person.

I'm sorry but that's one of those things where my opinion becomes fact. My morals and values tell me that life is precious and should be valued. It's hard too. You don't commit suicide EVER. You don't encourage someone to do so. If you do, you're a murderer and a horrible human being. I hope to never meet anyone like you in person; because my morals and values would tell me to I don't know...at the very least avoid you like the plague. I don't want YOUR morals and values or lack thereof near me.
Quote:
I think your lack of respect for the wishes of others is what is wrong with this country. Who are you to say a person cannot end their own life? Do what you want with your own supposedly precious life. DO NOT presume to know what I should do with mine.

Your morals and values are the distorted ones, because you are trying to force them on others, regardless of their own circumstances. You would have someone suffer endlessly because you don't think they should end their own pain. What purpose does that serve?

Old 11-26-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I think your lack of respect for the wishes of others is what is wrong with this country. Who are you to say a person cannot end their own life? Do what you want with your own supposedly precious life. DO NOT presume to know what I should do with mine.

Your morals and values are the distorted ones, because you are trying to force them on others, regardless of their own circumstances. You would have someone suffer endlessly because you don't think they should end their own pain. What purpose does that serve?
Because life is precious and important. No matter whose life. Under no circumstance no matter how much pain someone is in should they be encouraged to commit suicide. I stand firmly by this conviction. It's too important. This is my moral belief and one that I feel should be shoved down EVERYONE's throats. Because I care about people. People should care about people. People should give a damn!

Judge me. Just don't kill me or yourself. Let's actually VALUE life.

I don't respect that opinion that it's okay to die. I will NEVER respect that. How is suicide respectful? That's awful. We need to help people like that not push them over the ledge? What's wrong with you? That's not worthy of respect. That's worthy of hate and disdain!!!

Life is hard. You don't think I've thought about ending it all? I have but you press on. Becuase you have to you just do!!!!!! That's the purpose and nothing else!!! LIVE!! Don't die!!!

Last edited by terrence81; 11-26-2012 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates