Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:31 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
I do not want to sound so insensitive to specific causes, but I just do not understand why people want to find the cure for cancer, vaccine for deadly viruses, and to stop abuse and poverty when we need a balancing act. There are over 6 billion people in the Earth. The world is so overpopulated to begin with. Without cancer, fatal diseases and incurable viruses the Earth would be so exasperated by people. We are a species that does so much harm to this world, we don't even know it, especially in the USA. Why would I want to save people who more than likely are going to have more kids, drive big SUV's, be overweight, consumption of natural resources, etc;. I just think the number of cancers, and diseases right now are a balancing act.

Sure I would not want any of the people I care about to succumb to cancer, and a fatal diseases and viruses. Yet I do not want future generations to be victims of pointless violence and massacres once we realize that the world cant hold as many people. I am not saying it is a conspiracy but I am pretty sure most of these foundations have this thought in the back of there mind and even though if they find a cure, they are not going to release it to the public because it is just not logical to save the millions of people who have cancer, and fatal diseases and viruses.
I do not know what is your family composition. However, I will assume that you may be married and have kids. I hope none of them at let us say a 10 year old ends up with cancer. I will venture to guess you will very much wish there was a cure for your child.
To me you do sound insensitive even though you claim you do not mean to be and also not caring for your fellow human beings with the way you present your logic. However, if you feel, since you are part of the human population would not mind not finding a cure for disease you may have so you can help the balancing act. I would like to see how much you would try staying alive, take care.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:59 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
I personally wish that there was (and if there is, that I could know) a cure for cancer..There's nothing worse than fighting to stay alive with a disease., or seeing a loved one succumb to cancer. As for world overpopulation I'm not really concerned because I've always believed in the power and might of sweet Mother Nature.....and she knows no law., and she will prevail.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
The OP can be assured that if we cure one, others will pop up. in the 50'th diebetes was virtually unheard of now it will soon become the most experienced disease.

Once upon a time we didn't know AIDS, though there have been indications it predated 1981.

Lyme disease, Avian Flu, Chinese Flu, and what other strains there will be will fill the gap for attrition.

Wait until we find Monsanto has poisoned us with their genetically engineered foods.... There are plenty of opportunities to die... maybe it will be simple... locusts, drought or meteors... who knows... North Korean stupidity may also be around the corner... ( if you can label stupidity as a disease...)

Old 12-20-2010, 10:25 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,749 times
i think it would be awesome if we could cure aging.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:58 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
If only we could cure stupidity. Then we would not have people starting threads with opening statements like the one made by the OP.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:15 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
I do not want to sound so insensitive to specific causes, but I just do not understand why people want to find the cure for cancer, vaccine for deadly viruses, and to stop abuse and poverty when we need a balancing act. There are over 6 billion people in the Earth. The world is so overpopulated to begin with. Without cancer, fatal diseases and incurable viruses the Earth would be so exasperated by people. We are a species that does so much harm to this world, we don't even know it, especially in the USA. Why would I want to save people who more than likely are going to have more kids, drive big SUV's, be overweight, consumption of natural resources, etc;. I just think the number of cancers, and diseases right now are a balancing act.

Sure I would not want any of the people I care about to succumb to cancer, and a fatal diseases and viruses. Yet I do not want future generations to be victims of pointless violence and massacres once we realize that the world cant hold as many people. I am not saying it is a conspiracy but I am pretty sure most of these foundations have this thought in the back of there mind and even though if they find a cure, they are not going to release it to the public because it is just not logical to save the millions of people who have cancer, and fatal diseases and viruses.
I will put aside my personal beliefs about this for a moment to answer this in a hypothetical way....

If we found a cure for these diseases, something else would simply take their place. You get rid of smallpox - you get AIDS. There *is* a balance and it will always be thus.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-20-2010, 08:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Nonsense lookig at the old cemetry stones where many children and younger adults died in many families. Why? Because people want to live.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:21 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post

The cure for aging is death... works everytime in stopping the aging process.... I'll choose aging. but will redefine what each decade looks like....

Old 12-21-2010, 05:09 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
If population control is the discussion, I'd rather see it achieved via birth control than by disease related "acceptable losses".

Old 12-25-2010, 05:03 PM

289 posts, read 569,640 times
Cure cancer & excute the criminals. There's your balance. All of these people who live 10, 20, 30, + years on death row. Go ahead, execute them. The man on death row who raped & killed 20 kids under the age of 12 doesn't deserve the freedom of drawing another breath. However the 4 year old little girl next door who wants to be a princess when she grows up shouldn't have to struggle for her every breath due to cancer.

That's my opinion & my answer to your "balance" problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates