Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:17 PM

250 posts, read 379,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
And don't say 'it's impossible', I don't want to hear it. I'm asking people who believe it IS possible.

What can we do? Do we need a world-wide anti-war/military movement? Do we need to fundamentally change our politics everywhere? What do we need to do?
Wold Peace will happen when the world thinks as I do and no sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 08:43 AM

19,695 posts, read 20,218,442 times
Trick everyone into eating special brownies and put on some old Marvin Gaye records.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:36 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,681 times
I'm sorry but this is like asking how do we get lions to stop attacking animals in the wild? Honestly, there is no way to achieve world peace. World tolerance on the other hand, could be achieved. But you would need some serious laws. Laws that would violate what most consider human rights.

Punish criminals to a harsh standard. If they steal, cut of a hand. If its a sexual crime, castration. If its murder, death by the victims family. No more prison system, instant punishment after verdict. No wait time. You would have to make pushing your agenda illegal. Preaching in public would have to be illegal, protesting would have to be illegal.

The only way to have world peace or tolerance is to encourage it through force. Pretty much get rid of the constitution, bill of rights, and any other human rights laws. Even then there will be resistance.

Its pretty much where society is now. This is about as tolerant as we can be without all fallowing the same faith or non faith based beliefs. If there where only two people left on the earth, there would still be war.

I've said it before... Hate spreads like a wildfire, while peace dwindles like a candle almost out of wax.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:52 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,712,890 times
I'm not sure anyone knows the complete answer to his....but a start would be for all of us to be more tolerant and accepting of diverse beliefs (religious and otherwise), less greedy, live and let live, always willing to help those around us with whatever tasks they are having trouble with whether it's making a living to support their family or laying sod in their yard.

This will probably open a hornets next....but religion is a big stumpbling block in my opinion. So many people who believe what the more conservative religious folks do have this absolute belief that their eventual savior (Jesus/Allah) will come and save them from the eventual armageddon that will take place on Earth according to the bible. You don't have to think to hard to see this belief keeps us from peace on earth......if you "know" that the Earth is destined to be destroyed (according to the bible anyway) eventually and you'll be "saved" by jesus/god.....why bother worrying about world peace when you know it's never going to happen anyway....and before the prophecy can come true armegeddon must take place.

As I mentioned....there are certainly other factors contributing to world problems....like greed and the lack of love and caring for your fellow citizens of the earth.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:26 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
I'm sorry but this is like asking how do we get lions to stop attacking animals in the wild? Honestly, there is no way to achieve world peace. World tolerance on the other hand, could be achieved. But you would need some serious laws. Laws that would violate what most consider human rights.

Punish criminals to a harsh standard. If they steal, cut of a hand. If its a sexual crime, castration. If its murder, death by the victims family. No more prison system, instant punishment after verdict. No wait time. You would have to make pushing your agenda illegal. Preaching in public would have to be illegal, protesting would have to be illegal.

The only way to have world peace or tolerance is to encourage it through force. Pretty much get rid of the constitution, bill of rights, and any other human rights laws. Even then there will be resistance.

Its pretty much where society is now. This is about as tolerant as we can be without all fallowing the same faith or non faith based beliefs. If there where only two people left on the earth, there would still be war.

I've said it before... Hate spreads like a wildfire, while peace dwindles like a candle almost out of wax.

Most people hate violence and war. It's the sociopathic few who tend to get high positions of power (the 'alpha' people), but if we selected beta people to lead us more we could get rid of war.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:05 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,712,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
Most people hate violence and war. It's the sociopathic few who tend to get high positions of power (the 'alpha' people), but if we selected beta people to lead us more we could get rid of war.
You've got a good point iPwn. It is the Alpha's who covet and grab power whenever they can. While it's true that we do need leaders, the way I've pesonally described such leaders is "he/she enjoys being boss just a little to much".

The best leader trait would be someone who has much to offer, but doesn't really covet the power that comes with being a leader and just offers what they can while they can....and then throws the batton to someone else.

Kind of like politics....you get in "power" and most don't seem to ever want to leave unlike the "citizen legislature" that our founders intended.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:53 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,023 times
when everyone in the world due to technology can have a relatively decent existence may curtail a lot of desperation and fighting. when people have nothing to lose, they just cause trouble and more apt to cling to religions and are not usually rational etc. also, they may even become more greedy since they think another can't be trusted, so a vicious cycle is in motion because of distrust, greed and dishonesty.

ironicly, it probably won't come about through philosophy or religion.

people need and want their needs met first with some wants thrown in or can aspire to some. i also think the superflous materialistic way we live is not good. there is a severe imbalance between those who live with too much to those who don't even have basic needs met. it's quite a ridiculous shame how bad humans are at managing things. it's like a grade F.

i think it's getting there and will get there eventually where their will be more world peace (but not in our lifetime and radically wonderful world peace would probably not occur in the next generation either) but it's going to come with some pain and bumps along the way.

for world peace to occur, the entire way we live and define our lives would have to change. i think that will happen but slowly as people learn that we are all in this together on this planet and greed is not the answer, but balance.

it's this win/lose mentality that misses the bigger picture and loses sight of the benefits of cooperation and honesty. what's so poignant is that the earth produces enough for everyone. all this talk that there is not enough resources is a lie, it's just not utilized well so there are imbalances.

humans have a lot of character flaws and that is the major contributor to our own pain and troubles as well as to causing it to others.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:00 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,092 times
"How can we achieve world peace?"
by making drastic reduction in the number of humans, like having 80% less people.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:09 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,051,956 times
World peace will exist when all humans and animals are gone.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:15 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
For the most part, like 99.999%, we do have world peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates