Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 12:04 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,198 times

Advertisements

Many social norms and laws cannot be soundly reasoned as having a legitimate genesis, they just are simply because it makes the most sense. There is no real lawful reason to say that someone should not have the right to be with a family member in an adult consensual relationship, but that doesn't mean that it is acceptable to anyone other than a very minor fringe of people, so it will never be a norm or a custom in our society. You can argue why and why not until you are blue in the face, but that changes nothing and is pretty much meaningless. Best reason I can say not to is because it creates a dual relationship, that can often result in conflict/confusion of roles and psychological crises.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:15 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Exactly...murder and rape are taboos. You either legislate to make taboos illegal or you don't. How can you pick and choose what taboos to make illegal if not everyone agrees that it's wrong?

So in the end, laws are just what most people agree on. I believe there are deeper moral principles, but I won't get in those here.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:51 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
I honestly don't see anything wrong with it. Hell, go through history in Asia or Europe. Lots o inbreeding.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:02 PM

49 posts, read 71,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Brought this up in another thread, but I thought it'd be an interesting topic to debate.

Why is incest wrong?

I personally think that incest is wrong, its not right for me. But that doesn't mean I'm going to tell someone else what to do with their lives.

There is no biological evidence that incest between father/daughter and brother/sister is bad physically. If there is a family history of a genetic disorder, its more likely to occur in the child. But, they aren't more likely to have birth defects, mental illness, or things of that nature.

So, if incest isn't as bad as we've all been told biologically, why is it so taboo?

Like I said, I'm not promoting incest, its most definitely not right for me.
For that matter , why is ANYTHING wrong (or right) ? Unless there are absolute moral laws given to us by an absolute Moral Law Provider, then it is only our opinion what is right or wrong ... precisely the problem that America faces each and every day on issues in society and why people are living according to the dictates of their will/desire/feelings/and apathy. Its people , for the most part, have become morally bankrupt, entitlement rich, and apathetically based . Some 60 years ago, it was an absolute NO BRAINER what was right from wrong ... you wouldnt even have to think hard about it let alone ask for a consensus on an Internet Forum .

Old 12-29-2010, 04:03 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
Many social norms and laws cannot be soundly reasoned as having a legitimate genesis, they just are simply because it makes the most sense. There is no real lawful reason to say that someone should not have the right to be with a family member in an adult consensual relationship, but that doesn't mean that it is acceptable to anyone other than a very minor fringe of people, so it will never be a norm or a custom in our society. You can argue why and why not until you are blue in the face, but that changes nothing and is pretty much meaningless. Best reason I can say not to is because it creates a dual relationship, that can often result in conflict/confusion of roles and psychological crises.
People have used the same logic to defend many prohibitions against things that we in hindsight consider perfectly fine. What you are essentially saying is that even if you can't figure out why something is the way it is, you should still just accept it because it is. had humanity just followed this train of thought, we'd still be in caves rubbing sticks together.

Not to say that incest is a good break from the nor, but if you can use the logic to outlaw incest, why not use it for pretty much everything people have ever considered bad, like miscegenation or integration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Exactly...murder and rape are taboos. You either legislate to make taboos illegal or you don't. How can you pick and choose what taboos to make illegal if not everyone agrees that it's wrong?

So in the end, laws are just what most people agree on. I believe there are deeper moral principles, but I won't get in those here.
Uh...Murder and Rape also deprive people of fundamental human rights, such as the right to live and the right to bodily autonomy. To say that they are illegal because they are taboo is a fantastic oversimplification of jurisprudence.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:06 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMePeter View Post
For that matter , why is ANYTHING wrong (or right) ? Unless there are absolute moral laws given to us by an absolute Moral Law Provider, then it is only our opinion what is right or wrong ... precisely the problem that America faces each and every day on issues in society and why people are living according to the dictates of their will/desire/feelings/and apathy. Its people , for the most part, have become morally bankrupt, entitlement rich, and apathetically based . Some 60 years ago, it was an absolute NO BRAINER what was right from wrong ... you wouldnt even have to think hard about it let alone ask for a consensus on an Internet Forum .
I, for one, don't consider it a good thing to live in a society where people just accept things without thinking hard about them. We should evaluate which beliefs can be backed by reason and which cannot and retain those which can and stop sponsoring those which can't. That's how society advances.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:29 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
People have used the same logic to defend many prohibitions against things that we in hindsight consider perfectly fine. What you are essentially saying is that even if you can't figure out why something is the way it is, you should still just accept it because it is. had humanity just followed this train of thought, we'd still be in caves rubbing sticks together.

Not to say that incest is a good break from the nor, but if you can use the logic to outlaw incest, why not use it for pretty much everything people have ever considered bad, like miscegenation or integration.

Uh...Murder and Rape also deprive people of fundamental human rights, such as the right to live and the right to bodily autonomy. To say that they are illegal because they are taboo is a fantastic oversimplification of jurisprudence.
No, what I am saying is that I agree that there is no lawful logic as to why it needs to be banned. It is not acceptable behavior or widely practiced because it is revolting to most, but that does not make it illegal. I am suggesting that the psychological implications and role confusion can be profound, so it is best to not do it.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:01 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post

What about the human right of little Johnny not to have to see his father and sister making out on the couch (or worse ) when he gets home from school everyday?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:15 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What about the human right of little Johnny not to have to see his father and sister making out on the couch (or worse ) when he gets home from school everyday?
Maybe they shouldn't make out on the dang couch. XD

Old 12-29-2010, 08:42 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
No, what I am saying is that I agree that there is no lawful logic as to why it needs to be banned. It is not acceptable behavior or widely practiced because it is revolting to most, but that does not make it illegal. I am suggesting that the psychological implications and role confusion can be profound, so it is best to not do it.
Easy to say.
But what are ya (at age 22) gonna do when Aunt Louise (about 43 and gorgeous) asks you to come in her bedroom to help her changes dresses; she says she needs someone to pull down the zipper. Then, once the dress is off she asks if you like what you see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates