U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-22-2010, 01:22 PM
 
Location: John & Ken-ville
13,692 posts, read 15,112,510 times
Reputation: 9486

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Brought this up in another thread, but I thought it'd be an interesting topic to debate.

Why is incest wrong?

I personally think that incest is wrong, its not right for me. But that doesn't mean I'm going to tell someone else what to do with their lives.

There is no biological evidence that incest between father/daughter and brother/sister is bad physically. If there is a family history of a genetic disorder, its more likely to occur in the child. But, they aren't more likely to have birth defects, mental illness, or things of that nature.

So, if incest isn't as bad as we've all been told biologically, why is it so taboo?

Like I said, I'm not promoting incest, its most definitely not right for me.
It is psychologically damaging to have a sexual relationship with a parent.

And, you shouldn't climb your own family tree for the health of your DNA - those branches can become so genetically tangled.

One family worth reading about are the Habsburgs in Austria.

http://www.antiquesatoz.com/habsburg/habsburg-jaw.htm

https://www.msu.edu/course/lbs/333/f...psburglip.html

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/t...TOPIC_ID=49506

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inbreeding

It is always better to reproduce with someone who comes from a background the furthest from your own.

People have healthier offspring because of the genetic diversity.

Last edited by LuckyGem; 12-22-2010 at 01:31 PM..

 
Old 12-22-2010, 02:01 PM
 
Location: NYC
7,371 posts, read 12,314,281 times
Reputation: 10279
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
That just doesn't pass a rational test. Many people are not "sickened" by it and I would strongly suggest that those who are were programmed as such at a very young age.

Now....to be clear, father-daughter is different from brother-sister. With father-daughter a control issue enters in, but I still don't see justification for the state to interfere if they are both adults and pregnancy risk is removed.
I disagree. Most people are indeed sickened by both father-daughter sexual relations as well as brother-sister. (Incest porn stories are the exception as it is all fantasy based.)

Ask all of your family and friends what they think, then report back.
 
Old 12-22-2010, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,304,497 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It is psychologically damaging to have a sexual relationship with a parent.

And, you shouldn't climb your own family tree for the health of your DNA - those branches can become so genetically tangled.

One family worth reading about are the Habsburgs in Austria.

The “Habsburg Jaw”

https://www.msu.edu/course/lbs/333/f...psburglip.html

Habsburg Genetics and Deformation of Physical Features - Coin Community Forum

Inbreeding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is always better to reproduce with someone who comes from a background the furthest from your own.

People have healthier offspring because of the genetic diversity.
I get the psychological effects, yes, but thats not technically a physical problem.

Years of inbreeding can lead to problems, but one offs are no more likely to produce a child with a disorder of any kind than those of us who have children with those of distant genetic codes.

But the question remains, where did this come from?
 
Old 12-22-2010, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,449 posts, read 13,911,504 times
Reputation: 6875
Just a few years ago it was revealed that John Phillips (of the Mommas & Papas) often had sex with his daughter.
What we rarely hear about is a mother/son relationship. It seems that the father/daughter relationship is criticized but more tolerated. Whereas the mother/son is a whopping taboo.
 
Old 12-22-2010, 05:40 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Just a few years ago it was revealed that John Phillips (of the Mommas & Papas) often had sex with his daughter.
What we rarely hear about is a mother/son relationship. It seems that the father/daughter relationship is criticized but more tolerated. Whereas the mother/son is a whopping taboo.
I think it's just because father/daughter tends to happen alot more. I don't think either one is 'more tolerated', we're just more used to hearing more about one.
 
Old 12-22-2010, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Toronto
3,338 posts, read 5,535,356 times
Reputation: 2358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
What we rarely hear about is a mother/son relationship. It seems that the father/daughter relationship is criticized but more tolerated. Whereas the mother/son is a whopping taboo.
I've never heard this idea before. To me, it seems incest is just incest, and that's how it's treated. Mother-son incest seems to evoke the idea of Oedipus complex or whatever it's called, although I know Freud is generally descredited these days in the field of psychology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think it's just because father/daughter tends to happen alot more. I don't think either one is 'more tolerated', we're just more used to hearing more about one.
I've never even noticed one type of incestuous relationship in the news as more common than another to make a judgement (either I don't check the news enough to read about them or, these types of stories aren't encountered or get reported frequently enough for me to notice).
 
Old 12-22-2010, 06:48 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
7,644 posts, read 5,636,236 times
Reputation: 7496
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I disagree. Most people are indeed sickened by both father-daughter sexual relations as well as brother-sister. (Incest porn stories are the exception as it is all fantasy based.)

Ask all of your family and friends what they think, then report back.
Disagree all you want....that does happen here from time to time.

But you are the one putting forth the contention that
Quote:
it is a biological reason. The basis is similar to why most humans are disgusted by bitter flavors - a survival mechanism
Thus, the burden is yours to present scientific evidence of this and to explain the mechanism by which it occurs.

Putting aside the parent/child form because the control issue puts it in a separate category, I contend that the taboo is cultural and learned - not biologically instinctive.
 
Old 12-22-2010, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Chicago
6,004 posts, read 13,175,853 times
Reputation: 7956
there have been studies that show that women tend to dislike men who smelled too much like them, mostly due to similar genetics. this seems to be one biological safeguard put in place to help reduce inbreeding. having a sexual attraction to a sibling isn't normal for many species. as mentioned, there are other safeguards put into place to help prevent inbreeding in a species
 
Old 12-22-2010, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 30,607,252 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
That just doesn't pass a rational test. Many people are not "sickened" by it and I would strongly suggest that those who are were programmed as such at a very young age.
Proof, please, there are only 3 people on this thread that say there is nothing wrong with it, and that hardly counts.
 
Old 12-22-2010, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Toronto
3,338 posts, read 5,535,356 times
Reputation: 2358
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Putting aside the parent/child form because the control issue puts it in a separate category, I contend that the taboo is cultural and learned - not biologically instinctive.
Well, not really. There's the common observation, which I mentioned in a previous post, that people raised together as kids, even adopted ones, cannot fall in love later because they see themselves as "siblings" -- it's called the Westermarck effect in psychology and is pretty well-documented.

The instinct is probably because one interprets "those who I grew up with" as relatives that are "off-limits for partners". We can't identify the genes of our relatives by sight directly, so we're built in to see those we grew up with, even adopted siblings, as kin. It also explains why, as previously mentioned, there are stories of separated-at-birth siblings, cousins or other relatives that meet as adults, and develop attraction, unaware of their relationship at first sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top