U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 08:12 PM

7,678 posts, read 5,659,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
there have been studies that show that women tend to dislike men who smelled too much like them, mostly due to similar genetics. this seems to be one biological safeguard put in place to help reduce inbreeding. having a sexual attraction to a sibling isn't normal for many species. as mentioned, there are other safeguards put into place to help prevent inbreeding in a species
You touch on a point that is probably key here. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there is a wide opinion gap on this topic based on gender.

Mine is a man's perspective and the female mind is a whole different animal where sex is concerned. There may well be some sort of biological repulsion in women that is impossible for me to understand first-hand.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:13 AM

10,854 posts, read 12,890,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Anyone know how prevalent it is among animals? I believe even most animals don't engage in such behaviour but I could be wrong (some animals eat their own young for example).
I am a volunteer nest monitor for Peregrine Falcons in the Cleveland area. We had a pair a few years ago that, thanks to banding, we were able to tell they were brother and sister. Not from the same brood. He was one year older then she, but they both came from the same parents.

All their offspring, so far anyway, have been perfectly healthy.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:14 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,424,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Brought this up in another thread, but I thought it'd be an interesting topic to debate.

There is no biological evidence that incest between father/daughter and brother/sister is bad physically. If there is a family history of a genetic disorder, its more likely to occur in the child. But, they aren't more likely to have birth defects, mental illness, or things of that nature.

So, if incest isn't as bad as we've all been told biologically, why is it so taboo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I get the psychological effects, yes, but thats not technically a physical problem.

Years of inbreeding can lead to problems, but one offs are no more likely to produce a child with a disorder of any kind than those of us who have children with those of distant genetic codes.
I would still like to know what studies infer this. So far I have seen proof of the contrary but I have yet to see anything supporting your assertion. The burden of proof is on you.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:16 AM

7,371 posts, read 12,336,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Disagree all you want....that does happen here from time to time.

But you are the one putting forth the contention thatThus, the burden is yours to present scientific evidence of this and to explain the mechanism by which it occurs.

Putting aside the parent/child form because the control issue puts it in a separate category, I contend that the taboo is cultural and learned - not biologically instinctive.
No, it isn't my burden to put forth scientific evidence. This is an opinion forum and I have given mine. If you wish to dismiss it, that is your prerogative.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:19 AM

23,440 posts, read 30,667,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
No, it isn't my burden to put forth scientific evidence. This is an opinion forum and I have given mine. If you wish to dismiss it, that is your prerogative.
I asked him to provide proof about a rather ridiculous assertion of his upthread, and he conveniently ignored it, but asked you instead to provide proof on your opinion.
Oi vey!

Old 12-23-2010, 10:26 AM

11,449 posts, read 13,931,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I've never heard this idea before. To me, it seems incest is just incest, and that's how it's treated. Mother-son incest seems to evoke the idea of Oedipus complex or whatever it's called, although I know Freud is generally descredited these days in the field of psychology.

I've never even noticed one type of incestuous relationship in the news as more common than another to make a judgement (either I don't check the news enough to read about them or, these types of stories aren't encountered or get reported frequently enough for me to notice).
The incest of John Phillips with his daughter was only a sensational news item because he was a well known musician. Also, the incest was revealed after he died.
It might be very difficult to compute reliable statistic about incest because it's such a taboo that few will admit to it. We can only speculate. Who knows about all the incestuous relationships going on?

Old 12-23-2010, 10:35 AM

2,788 posts, read 4,244,847 times
Who's from Arkansas....lol

Old 12-23-2010, 02:22 PM

292 posts, read 581,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It is always better to reproduce with someone who comes from a background the furthest from your own.

People have healthier offspring because of the genetic diversity.

So, interracial pairings are #1?

Old 12-23-2010, 03:10 PM

4,110 posts, read 5,005,600 times
All right.. I'm watching this and I dont know..
I thought I would be Honest Joining this Board..

Can I continue?..

My female cousin thought it was ok to..Whatever with me when I was as young as 12..
No big deal.. No I'm not massivly hurt by it ... it was just a thing..I think stuff like this has happined forever and Media...wakes it up..

Old 12-23-2010, 08:29 PM

33 posts, read 20,780 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.