U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-26-2010, 07:54 PM

282 posts, read 358,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
what are the bounds of the definition of incest? for example is a guy doing the mother in law considered incest? whether he is still married or not marred to his wife (her daughter).
What does it do to a marriage when a man has sex with his mother-in-law? Most women are going to have a problem with their husbands having extramarital sex and they're not going to get along well with the "other woman." What does it do to a woman when the "other woman" is her own mother?

Not all sexual relationships end amicably. It seems like a significant number of people just don't want to be reminded of their ex. If your former lover is a sibling or cousin, it's that much tougher to avoid that person.

Even if we factor out reproduction, incest makes for lots of really potentially awkward moments, and I suspect that's where the "ick" factor comes in.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:43 AM

4,847 posts, read 5,278,162 times
Agreed.
Should be taken out back and shot.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:00 AM

11,441 posts, read 9,222,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchas View Post
Anyone who seeks out an incest relationship is disgusting.
Maybe it's the forbidden that intrigues.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:25 AM

5,012 posts, read 6,538,823 times
I personally think it is wrong because of the harmful genetic repercussions which usually associate itself with inbreeding.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I personally think it is wrong because of the harmful genetic repercussions which usually associate itself with inbreeding.
Birth control!

Old 12-28-2010, 03:02 PM

3,278 posts, read 3,145,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isisthea View Post
It's wrong to me because I personally find it repulsive as Im sure many other do as well.
That's some very circular reasoning there. "It's wrong because I find it disgusting, it is disgusting because I find it wrong". In any case, I refer to my post on page 3. Many people have said this about many things through history and in most cases, we now look back at those very people as backwards, ie: interfaith and interracial relationships. If you're going to say incest is undesirable for you personally, that's fine. I'm sure I and most others agree with you there. If you're going to say it's wrong and unlawful, the threshold of reason is substantially higher.

Thus far, no one has offered any reason why incest in a context of consent and without the possibility of producing children is objectively wrong and should be illegal. Inconvenient, sure, there are a number of excellent reasons why that would be so. But do we want the kind of society that outlaws things just for the sake of keeping the straightforward.

Come on, people. Thus far I am quite underwhelmed.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:27 PM

24,691 posts, read 19,754,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
That's some very circular reasoning there. "It's wrong because I find it disgusting, it is disgusting because I find it wrong". In any case, I refer to my post on page 3. Many people have said this about many things through history and in most cases, we now look back at those very people as backwards, ie: interfaith and interracial relationships. If you're going to say incest is undesirable for you personally, that's fine. I'm sure I and most others agree with you there. If you're going to say it's wrong and unlawful, the threshold of reason is substantially higher.

Thus far, no one has offered any reason why incest in a context of consent and without the possibility of producing children is objectively wrong and should be illegal. Inconvenient, sure, there are a number of excellent reasons why that would be so. But do we want the kind of society that outlaws things just for the sake of keeping the straightforward.

Come on, people. Thus far I am quite underwhelmed.
Incest is more than 'disgusting.' It has implications for the family of the people involved as well. What is objectively wrong for you? For some peoples killing others was perfectly acceptable under their 'moral code'. I think if most people find incest wrong then it stands to reason they'd make it illegal.

Besides, while incest is illegal how often are people who commit incest even prosecuted? They're generally left alone to do their own business. Even if incest was legal they'd still be harassed and hated by others (which I'm not encouraging, but people should still disapprove of it) and socially ostracized. Are you arguing for the right's of the incestuous then?

Old 12-28-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Incest is more than 'disgusting.' It has implications for the family of the people involved as well. What is objectively wrong for you? For some peoples killing others was perfectly acceptable under their 'moral code'. I think if most people find incest wrong then it stands to reason they'd make it illegal.

Besides, while incest is illegal how often are people who commit incest even prosecuted? They're generally left alone to do their own business. Even if incest was legal they'd still be harassed and hated by others (which I'm not encouraging, but people should still disapprove of it) and socially ostracized. Are you arguing for the right's of the incestuous then?
Incest, if consensual, is nobody's business except the participants. Non-consensual incest can be classified as abuse and dealt with in court.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:06 PM

24,691 posts, read 19,754,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Incest, if consensual, is nobody's business except the participants. Non-consensual incest can be classified as abuse and dealt with in court.
First off, sibling or parent-child relationships are not like the r/s between strangers which is on an even parity. There's a complex and unique r/s between the two that does not exist between lovers or friends. If a father and daughter decide to start a romantic and sexual relationship with each other how do you know some of that isn't because of 'Daddy issues?' And what of mothers and sons with unhealthy relationships?

Like I said, when it comes to this issue I don't think making it illegal will make much difference, yet I still think it should be illegal in practice. For instance, if dad and his daughter WERE to be in a relationship I wouldn't advocate forcibly separating them or putting them in jail. No I think they should at least be made to get counselling and pay some sort of fine. Whatever they do after that, well, at least the law has made a firm stand on it.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:29 PM

3,278 posts, read 3,145,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

What I'm arguing for is reason. I don't care whether it's incest or anything else, but when people start legislating taboos on no other basis than that they are taboos, nothing good ever comes of it. I've given examples but this should speak for itself for anyone vaguely familiar with history. The law should not be based on vague notions such as "disgusting". If you want to argue that incest should be illegal, argue that using well thought out reason. Then I may choose or choose not to agree with that, but what other people are doing here is engaging in intellectual sloth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates