Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
If one were to smoke marijuana in the privacy of their own home after a long day of work, that doesn't affect anyone does it? Yet there are many who want (and obviously do) criminalize this behavior.

Yet I'm sure someone will come on here and point out the "long-lasting consequences of marijuana smoking" which impair the person and affect society in a negative way...
Of course, there is always someone out there that think it's right to tell you how to live.
Now I'm not even talking going to a dealer and getting weed, but growing it in your yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 07:36 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,015,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Well, that's the rub isn't it, that unless you become a hermit or a Ted Kazinski type of total recluse, we're always gonna be faced with "knowing (and accepting) each other"!
Being aware of each other's different lifestyles doesn't mean passing judement on their business (though the two often go hand in hand just 'cause we like doing it to make our own feel more assured).

Old 01-03-2011, 08:06 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Being aware of each other's different lifestyles doesn't mean passing judement on their business (though the two often go hand in hand just 'cause we like doing it to make our own feel more assured).
If that were truly possible, we'd have no divorces (let alone wars). And it ain't about the "passing judgment" part (which is human nature), it's about how folks respond to those "judgments".

Old 01-03-2011, 09:39 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
If one were to smoke marijuana in the privacy of their own home after a long day of work, that doesn't affect anyone does it? Yet there are many who want (and obviously do) criminalize this behavior.

Yet I'm sure someone will come on here and point out the "long-lasting consequences of marijuana smoking" which impair the person and affect society in a negative way...
Oh, I have no issue with it. It's when it affects me that it's a problem.

You go and burn one at home watch some tube and go to sleep. No problem.

You go and burn one at home watch some tube, get the munchies, get in your car blow a red and take out a family. Problem.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,437 times
Quote:
Well, that's the rub isn't it, that unless you become a hermit or a Ted Kazinski type of total recluse, we're always gonna be faced with "knowing (and accepting) each other"!
99.999% of the recluses....harm nobody.

I'm pretty social myself, thats why I'm screwing around on a chat board (which is hundreds of times safer than going out). I want to be capable of being off grid in case the **** hits the fan. I figure the odds of that happening are roughly 40%. More or less depending on the day.

How did this turn into a thread about marijuana?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
If that were truly possible, we'd have no divorces (let alone wars). And it ain't about the "passing judgment" part (which is human nature), it's about how folks respond to those "judgments".
The thing about passing judgement is it's often not just passing judgement in speech (if it were that easy, we could all just ignore it) but is accompanied by pressures that make it hard to live comfortably (societal, peer or what-have-you). For instance, what age you should get married, whether you want many children or none, could be an example. Of course your mileage may vary, and what constraints society gives you changes with the times and climes (some places are more tolerant than others).

Personally, I've never felt the need to care about people's lifestyles who don't have to do with me, and don't harm anyone. For instance, I couldn't care less if a co-worker, or neighbours had a different taste in music, or liked eating odd food, or had a weird hobby, like designing multiple ant farms shaped like model cities in his living room or something. I don't get why folks need to go out of their way to care, but then again, I was never really interested in things like celebrity gossip, so maybe that's just me. A lot of people feel the need to validate their own lifestyles by putting other lifestyles down (have your heard about that weird guy with the ant farms? What a loser!) as if finding out that others enjoy something that you or most people couldn't think of enjoying somehow makes your own interests better.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:23 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
I think you're absolutely right, that there are always gonna be a lot of "judgments" (subtle or otherwise) to behave one way or another. Although in fairness, we do need to have some way of perpetuating certain "values" just to hold the culture together (like the value of "hard work", "honesty", "altruism", etc.). And no matter how "libertarian" we get in defining the minimal "standards", there will always be those who still want to "push the envelope" even further. So short of a ton more laws, or going the "hermit" route, we'll probably always need to endure a certain amount of "judgment" (aka "social pressure")

Old 01-03-2011, 10:12 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Surely, when people like to pound double qp's followed by a double chocolate shake and a bucket of fries everyday those choices affect me. Like when their thigh oozes over on to my seat and touches my leg. Or when they feel that they can just swing that double wide caboose around and plop it down expecting others to just dive out of the way. Or pay for their knee replacements and cardiac stenting and all sorts of other things. See those decisions that they've made affect me.
You're right. I agree with you. I also can't stand those awful blind people with their canes poking at my heels, or those rejects in the motorized wheel chair "scooters" hogging up the whole sidewalk! The blind people probably got that way from masturbating too much and those idiots in the wheel chairs made the decision to get fat and develop diabetes so now they have no feet. What about those cranky old people who talk so loud, they chose to go deaf and now we have to suffer.

The question is, sickofnyc, how do we get rid of them? Maybe it's time to bring back Zyklon B gas, dontcha think???????!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:34 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Because most people have a herd/pack mentality. The only way they can affirm their place in society is to conform to what society tells them to. Outsider's are now the 'other'. Society establishes it's power by proclaiming what is right or what is popular, so those on the fringes are to be feared and hated.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Because most people have a herd/pack mentality. The only way they can affirm their place in society is to conform to what society tells them to. Outsider's are now the 'other'. Society establishes it's power by proclaiming what is right or what is popular, so those on the fringes are to be feared and hated.
Not sure what you mean "now" the other, as it's just getting better in this day and age, at least in those of us in the western, liberal and developed world (sucks to be those elsewhere if you try to break against tradition or social norms), compared to the mob rule that characterized the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates