U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:32 AM

6,538 posts, read 6,823,982 times
Loving such a huge country like the United States is like loving an absentee father who shows up once a year to give you your birthday present (usually a five-pack or a pack of cigarettes less the four he smoked on the way over) and beat the snot out of you.

Just Kidding! I LOVE you, U. S. of A.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 02:31 PM

7,277 posts, read 7,392,297 times
I hate Connecticut.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,178,062 times
Well, I live in Texas so I'm pretty sure it's required of us by state law to love The Lone Star State above all else! LOL.
Hook 'em Horns!

Old 01-06-2011, 01:58 PM

6,571 posts, read 3,685,303 times
I hate my state. Except the mountains. I love the mountains. The rest of my state can take a hike.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:45 PM

5,975 posts, read 3,236,005 times
This thread shows how ignorant the average American really is. Most do not even understand what kind of Citizen they are.
You are a Citizen of your State, and as a result of being a Citizen of your State, you are a Citizen of the "many States".
Prior to the 14th amendment there was no such designation as a Citizen of the United States. Citizens of the United States were the slaves who were given their freedom by the Federal Government.
Since my rights were given to me by the creator as was recognized by the original Constitution, and not by the Federal Government, I am still a Citizen of my State. The Federal Government has usurped powers not given it by the Constitution in violation of the 10th Amendment. Most Federal laws are illegal under the Constitution.
The Federal government has now become a Tyranny that no longer represents the Citizen or defends the rights of the Citizen or the State.
Anyone who still believes they are free under the present system…is a fool.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:59 PM

5,975 posts, read 3,236,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I presume you mean "secede". Emancipation is not what you think it means.
The Articles of Confederation

Agreed to by Congress November 15, 1777; ratified and in force, March 1, 1781.
Preamble

To all to whom these Presents shall come, we the undersigned Delegates of the States affixed to our Names send greeting.

Whereas the Delegates of the United States of America in Congress assembled did on the fifteenth day of November in the Year of our Lord One Thousand Seven Hundred and Seventy seven, and in the Second Year of the Independence of America, agree to certain articles of Confederation and perpetual Union between the States of New Hampshire, Massachusetts-bay, Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia, in the words following, viz:

Articles of Confederation and perpetual Union between the States of New Hampshire, Massachusetts-bay, Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia.
A perpetual union cannot be dissolved.
(The USCON did not abolish the Articles of Confederation. But incorporated them, by reference, in Article 6, USCON.)
What you are failing to consider is the spirit the Union was founded on. The Union was founded on principals that recognized the freedoms of the people and of the States, and included safeguards against the formation of a central tyrannical government. Those safeguards and the freedoms that went with them have been all but abolished.
There was one principal established before the Constitution, which is the supreme principal of freedom.

"that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness".

Old 01-06-2011, 03:00 PM

23,914 posts, read 10,691,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
An no, loving them equally isn't a valid answer.

So what say you?
I've lived in lots of different states. None of them have done anything particularly better or worse than any other.

So I suppose the federal government has more of a daily impact on my life than any state does. At least it feels that way to me. Nothing different between my state and any other really. The same municipal utilities are provided.

The best thing about my state is no state income tax. That makes it better than other states, but I still don't feel that outweighs all of the things the federal government does for me daily. Checking my food, drugs I take, and securing the homeland. All things that are mostly done by the federal government.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:07 PM

3,664 posts, read 2,798,907 times
Dislike my state, love my country-but there are some states I would support first.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:32 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,178,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
This thread shows how ignorant the average American really is. Most do not even understand what kind of Citizen they are.
You are a Citizen of your State, and as a result of being a Citizen of your State, you are a Citizen of the "many States".
Prior to the 14th amendment there was no such designation as a Citizen of the United States. Citizens of the United States were the slaves who were given their freedom by the Federal Government.
Since my rights were given to me by the creator as was recognized by the original Constitution, and not by the Federal Government, I am still a Citizen of my State. The Federal Government has usurped powers not given it by the Constitution in violation of the 10th Amendment. Most Federal laws are illegal under the Constitution.
The Federal government has now become a Tyranny that no longer represents the Citizen or defends the rights of the Citizen or the State.
Anyone who still believes they are free under the present system…is a fool.
So...your post refers to us as being "ignorant" as well as "fools." Funny, in view of the fact that you seem to have brazenly and rudely skewed the OP, which had nothing to do with the poltical--and bilical, since your brought your Creator into it--ramifications or nuances--of statehood. The Op was a simple, light-hearted question regarding emotional allegience to our respective states.
So hears an idea: take your tripe to the Politics forum. And your "creator" bit to the Religion section.
And...uhhh.. a chill pill might be a good idea for ya as well.
BTW...Anytime you'd like to debate politics, I'm game; I have my degree in PoliSci. From a University in The Great State of Texas. Whom I love above my country.
So there! LOL.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:53 PM

31,385 posts, read 17,797,365 times
Is love the same thing as loyalty because if they aren't, I "love" equally the state of my birth and the state that I spent the formative years of life, I don't "love" my country but do feel a great sense of loyalty to it. They are two very different and complex types of relationships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates