Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 06:55 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times

Advertisements

Personally, I don't believe in peace. That's not to say I support war and destruction, so much as when I make my way through the world, I don't really believe we as a species really want "peace" deep down. There is so much deeply buried passive-agression in so many people that I truly believe man wants war, we want to have an "enemy" and we want to be "victors". Weither it's a foriegn country, or the store clerk who messed up our change, we love and are addicted to drama.

Do you believe man's nature is one of peace? Or do you believe man will always have a need and craving for violence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 07:29 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,078 times
Like most other mammals... we fight to help our kind survive and pass our genes on.
We are pack animals. Countries>States>Cities>Families... those are our packs. Different levels.
We fight others to protect our packs.
We steal, rob, etc. etc. to protect or gain for our packs..

In western-oriented places we do not use much fighting and physical acts to gain things for our families.
We now have office jobs, we talk it out, go to the police, etc.

But deep inside, we are all animals. Like it or not, we are nothing but another specie of animal.
And as much as we want to act like where not, there will always be instances when we resort to our primal instincts.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:59 PM

25,684 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Some of us like contention and/or competition, some don't. As we are individuals, there is no general answer. It depends on the person and his/her psychology.

Of course, individuals who like causing chaos in other people's lives tend to congregate, then conjure some 'grand cause' for which they fight... causing those who would otherwise exist in harmony to take up arms simply out of self preservation instinct.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Yes, mankind definitely wants peace. But government and corporate industry do not. Guess who gets what they want?

I have a very simple answer to this question:

WAR PROFITEERING.

War is not a universal constant that exists to placate the masses and their insatiable desire to kill. It is a construct of a tiny few ultra-powerful entities that have already selfishly grabbed all they can from their own countrymen, and have now set thier sights on the wealth of others. They don't mind killing, if that's what it takes to get it.

Most of the countries in the world have never been to war during the lifetime of their inhabitants. That suggests to me that those inhabitants prefer peace, because they could so easily have gone to war if they had wanted to.

In fact, there are even a few Americans who do not desire to be in a state of constant and perpetual warfare, in spite of their systematic indoctrination about the glory of war as school children. (Bombs bursting in air, blah blah blah.)

Last edited by jtur88; 07-01-2009 at 08:00 AM..

Old 07-01-2009, 07:47 AM

111 posts, read 316,307 times
as long as money, jealousy and power, just to name a few, exist, I doubt there will be peace.....so no, i do not believe that it will ever exist, although personally i am one that would love to see us all live in harmony

Old 07-01-2009, 07:52 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,688,396 times
Maybe in the afterlife there will be peace but not anytime soon in this world.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:13 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
I dont think any one person is qualified to answer for everyone.
But it seems obvious that peace is a relative thing. Some people want it, but they are often willing to commit violent acts to get it. Strange aint it?

At the end of the day I think that we are just like the rest of the animals on Earth & want peace only for ourselves individually, we may say we want it globally but we sure dont mind fighting if someone imposes their will on us.

Remember Hitler? It could be said that he wanted peace, after killing the Jews, and that we stood in his way & killed millions of people stopping him from having peace as he wanted it.

The truth is that no, mankind doesn't want peace. What it wants is for whatever subset it belongs to to be running the show. That is very obvious & as soon as one subset becomes "civilized" & stops being domineering & warlike another jumps in to take its place. That'll end when mankind ends.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:23 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Mankind, so long as there is a difference in opinion, will fight one another. And even when faced with a better perspective or opinion/choice, the person on the other side, if much stronger, will overpower the weaker opinion that may be better.

So long as there are limited resources and an economic system which is based off scarcity, Humanity will likely always find reasons to fight. Even if we expand into the cosmos and get unlimited resources to bring back to Earth or our colonies, there will always be opinions driving conflict. I highly doubt that will change once we make first contact either, though, we will probably be less likely to kill one another when faced with a most likely technologically superior species.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:25 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Somehow, I just can't imagine the people here in Victoria wanting to invade Corpus Christi. Nor even Port Lavaca, which we could probably conquer in a few days. Speaking for my town, I'm inclined to say we want peace. Corpus doesn't seem to be mobilizing much of a force to attack us, either.

Where on earth did people get the idea that mankind doesn't want peace? There seems to be such a rumor going around. I wonder who started it.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:49 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Nah, mankind doesn't want peace. Look at the USA, we are developing space-based weoponry that will be a reality by 2050. We think it's for defense, but that's only half the story. We really want to control the whole world to an extent, so when a nation steps out of line (see Vietnam, Korea, Iraq, etc.) we are willing to act in an aggressive manner.

Plus we've been dealing guns and other weopons to any buyer for a long time.

As for human nature, the answer to this question says it all: Would a human mother kill many others to save the life of her child? Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates