Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 06:14 PM

634 posts, read 1,165,062 times

Advertisements

An no, loving them equally isn't a valid answer.

So what say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 06:32 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,251 times
I don't really identify with my state inasmuch that I identify with my city.

Having said that, I love my city much more than I love the country.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:55 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,124 times
No. I am an American first.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:26 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
Absolutely not. I like my state very much, but I too am an American first. I put my life on the line for the USA, as did my son. If it came down to state or country, it would be an easy choice.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:42 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
An no, loving them equally isn't a valid answer.

So what say you?
I love my community much more than my state, but to answer your question, definitely.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:47 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,017 times
I definitely fall into that category. I think the US is way too big.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:11 PM

948 posts, read 1,385,986 times
Country first but I know that each state has different issues that nationally can not effectively be addressed.
If my state or the state that I am living in at the moment, were to decide to emancipate from the USA I would quickly move. If they were to take arms I would defend the US.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,193,756 times
I do not think it is possible to "love" a state or country.

Patriotism is defined as "love of country".
However, what is "country"?
1. The dirt (geography)?
2. The government?
3. The people?

Is it "patriotic" to love someone else's property (dirt)?
Probably not.
Is it "patriotic" to love the government?
Ouch. Both parties?
Is it "patriotic" to love all the people?
Hmmmm.... all people, or just citizens and legal residents?

I do not think that "patriotism" makes sense, since it is most often used to refer to those who sacrificed life, liberty or property in service to the government, whether or not the government was obedient to law and the USCON. (I am still waiting for the justification that authorizes the invasion of two Asian nations, and the destruction of their people and property.)

On the other hand, if one sacrifices in order to protect his loved ones from predation, that is an expression of the highest law of love. And that sacrifice need not be in service to the government, or the interests that run the government.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:38 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,193,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
Country first but I know that each state has different issues that nationally can not effectively be addressed.
If my state or the state that I am living in at the moment, were to decide to emancipate from the USA I would quickly move. If they were to take arms I would defend the US.
I presume you mean "secede". Emancipation is not what you think it means.
The Articles of Confederation

Agreed to by Congress November 15, 1777; ratified and in force, March 1, 1781.
Preamble

To all to whom these Presents shall come, we the undersigned Delegates of the States affixed to our Names send greeting.

Whereas the Delegates of the United States of America in Congress assembled did on the fifteenth day of November in the Year of our Lord One Thousand Seven Hundred and Seventy seven, and in the Second Year of the Independence of America, agree to certain articles of Confederation and perpetual Union between the States of New Hampshire, Massachusetts-bay, Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia, in the words following, viz:

Articles of Confederation and perpetual Union between the States of New Hampshire, Massachusetts-bay, Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia.
A perpetual union cannot be dissolved.
(The USCON did not abolish the Articles of Confederation. But incorporated them, by reference, in Article 6, USCON.)

Old 01-02-2011, 10:39 PM

948 posts, read 1,385,986 times
Good point jet. I define The USA as the land that the founders begin and we have evolved into. However with that said I know that I have a different idea of what the founders wanted then say a extreme left or right person. That dose not eliminate my position that if a state was to leave the Union or take up arms against the Union I would stand with the USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates