Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:28 PM

553 posts, read 1,544,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
That same song has been censored in the USA for years..
I Googled your statement and never found anything to support that. I don't believe the USA has censored that song for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 05:26 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Just a reminder that this is not the Politics and Other Controversies Forum. Please note the stickies at the top of this forum page--particularly the part that says "...threads that deteriorate, and become nothing but one or two line posts will be closed. We are aware that often a question must be asked or a couple of lines must be posted in order to clarify a point. Those threads will not be subject to closure for that reason alone.

Please remember, Great Debates was set up to enable posters a higher level of discourse than is usually found in most forums."

The level of discourse on this thread is deteriorating.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:28 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
It is fun to contemplate what the US would be like. The natural diversity added to the country would be astounding. The huge swaths of polar regions, the Canadian Rockies, the Atlantic islands (PEI, NS, Labrador...). Adding great, unique world renowned cities like Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver would be a great addition to the US. The natural resources added would also be beneficial, minerals, timber, arable land, oil, fishing...

However, all that said, I think it would be a one sided trade. I think the US would benefit much more from the natural resources added through the addition of a sparsely populated enormous country. Obviously, Canada would lose its national identity and probably much of its culture as it is absorbed by the much more populous US.

Fun to contemplate, but never going to happen.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:12 PM

166 posts, read 229,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asexualgirl
EU does not work. Do not put your moneys worthless systems like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Is this supposed to be sarcastic or have you just been ignoring the news for the last couple of years?
Two strange posts.

An economic recession is meant to be evidence that the EU is not working?
Seems rather weak.

I'm not quite sure how the world's largest economic bloc can be classed as ''not working''.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:46 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
I think the USA could use a large dollop of Canadian laid-back-ness and toned down patriotism.

I wouldn't want the French language part, though. Canada could save a lot of money by dropping the need to put "One Dollar" and "Un Dollar" on each loonie. I mean, it's not as if people don't know how much each one is worth (about 99 US cents)...

Old 01-16-2011, 07:45 AM

613 posts, read 815,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I think the USA could use a large dollop of Canadian laid-back-ness and toned down patriotism.

I wouldn't want the French language part, though. Canada could save a lot of money by dropping the need to put "One Dollar" and "Un Dollar" on each loonie. I mean, it's not as if people don't know how much each one is worth (about 99 US cents)...
Actually it's about $1.01 today. And, how does it cost more to put French and English on a coin? You create the die and stamp the metal. One coin, one stamp.

There are costs to maintaining two official languages, but the cost of producing money is not one of them.

I'm an Anglophone, but I feel that the French influence on this country is mostly positive.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:43 AM

93 posts, read 170,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Is this supposed to be sarcastic or have you just been ignoring the news for the last couple of years?
I was thinking the same thing, in fact I gasped upon reading that. Cheap money from the EU is partly what caused all the problems in the first place. The cheap money was part of the eu carrot and stick approach to entice the nation state's to give up some of the freedom's one piece at a time. The cheap money flooding the nation states, like Ireland, gave them a false economy that could not be sustained. The workers' rights laws on the books in Ireland and UK are fair and ethical, and those rights were there before the EU came along. That was nothing to do with EU. Worker rights in Ireland comes from the blood and sweat of Irish men and women, such as James Larkin, not from the EU. And no, Canada would never join the US. The ethos of each national and very different.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:48 AM

93 posts, read 170,792 times
Canadian National Debt is approximately 30% of their GDP. US National Debt is over 90% of their GDP. So if you were going to make the decision solely based on money, which seems to be the way a lot of US citizens make decisions, joining the US would be a poor decision for Canada.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:31 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
It is fun to contemplate what the US would be like. The natural diversity added to the country would be astounding. The huge swaths of polar regions, the Canadian Rockies, the Atlantic islands (PEI, NS, Labrador...). Adding great, unique world renowned cities like Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver would be a great addition to the US. The natural resources added would also be beneficial, minerals, timber, arable land, oil, fishing...

However, all that said, I think it would be a one sided trade. I think the US would benefit much more from the natural resources added through the addition of a sparsely populated enormous country. Obviously, Canada would lose its national identity and probably much of its culture as it is absorbed by the much more populous US.

Fun to contemplate, but never going to happen.
As long as we're contemplating, we should remember that an American force did invade Quebec during the Revolutionary War. Things might have turned out very differently for the history of Canada if that invasion had been successful!

Also, until 1949 Newfoundland was not a Canadian province, but a British dependency. Imagine if Newfoundland had turned its back on Canada and sought to become our 49th state at the time.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:32 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Hmm... it only says "1 Dollar" on the one-dollar coin. Means the same in both English and French. The two-dollar coin says "2 Dollars", which once again covers both languages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates