U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 09:08 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,487,329 times

Advertisements

I've heard there is less crime and war today than there was any time in the 20th century, so are we indeed progressing, even though the consensus is the world is now a more dangerous place?

Do you think it has to do with the fact that since the '90s, the media has become way more obscene and that makes the world seem darker than it really is? It does seem like about 20 years ago, society suddenly became much ruder, more random, and more self-centered.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 09:13 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,535,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
I've heard there is less crime and war today than there was any time in the 20th century, so are we indeed progressing, even though the consensus is the world is now a more dangerous place?

Do you think it has to do with the fact that since the '90s, the media has become way more obscene and that makes the world seem darker than it really is? It does seem like about 20 years ago, society suddenly became much ruder, more random, and more self-centered.
Is that really the consensus? It's kind of hard to generalise about "the world", as some cities and countries probably improved a lot. We all know about the wars and genocides of the 20th century where millions died but obviously this century is still young.

If you're talking about locally, in your city or town, then that's hard to tell, you could check the crime rates. There's always a temptation to glorify the past as the good old days though.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:30 PM

964 posts, read 2,285,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post

Just because you've heard something doesn't mean it is true. Can you back this up?

Old 01-08-2011, 10:47 PM

613 posts, read 968,436 times
Yes, absolutely, I believe it 100%... and the only hard 'evidence' I have would be my personal observation in life. People always say 'things were always bad, even worse'.. and yes I know that women have more rights and ability to protect themselves than they used to... rape & child abuse isn't swept under the rug like it used to be, and so on.... but aside from those things, there is something so different about today than even a few generations ago. A loss of innocence, simplicity, humility, trust... more mental illness, more division, self-absorption, narcisissm, sociopathic behavior, perversion, cynicism, loss of a sense of community, loss of family & family values, loss of respect for others in young people.. more dysfunction, more despair.... and the media & technology is doing some weird stuff to young people.... this I do believe.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:05 AM

23 posts, read 34,887 times
When my husband and I talk about these things, I inevitably begin to say but back in the 50's, 60's, etc.... But I wonder if we have had like problems all along but never had the glaring light of the media to show us all the dirty details?

Old 01-09-2011, 08:32 AM

964 posts, read 2,285,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
Yes, absolutely, I believe it 100%... and the only hard 'evidence' I have would be my personal observation in life. People always say 'things were always bad, even worse'.. and yes I know that women have more rights and ability to protect themselves than they used to... rape & child abuse isn't swept under the rug like it used to be, and so on.... but aside from those things, there is something so different about today than even a few generations ago. A loss of innocence, simplicity, humility, trust... more mental illness, more division, self-absorption, narcisissm, sociopathic behavior, perversion, cynicism, loss of a sense of community, loss of family & family values, loss of respect for others in young people.. more dysfunction, more despair.... and the media & technology is doing some weird stuff to young people.... this I do believe.
"Believing" means nothing. Need facts or statistics. All this is speculation, opinion, and conjecture.

"More mental illness", why would there be? In fact, there's probably less effects of mental illness as the fields of of psychiatry and psychotherapy are significantly more advanced today than they were 50 years ago.

Someone is making some observation, drawing conclusions based on opinion, creating a thread as if these conclusions are facts, and asking posters to respond to these presumed facts because they trust this has been researched and validated.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:06 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,641,873 times
No, the past wasn't any more innocent than today. Researching old newspapers for a project has shown me that much. There was still rape, murder, car accidents, abused children, barroom killings, etc.

People romanticize the past way too much.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:10 AM

5,767 posts, read 10,024,297 times
The US murder rate in 2009 was the lowest it had been since 1964. The rate hit its modern peaks in 1980 and 1991, and has been more or less cut in half since then.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:29 PM

5,599 posts, read 7,817,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
The US murder rate in 2009 was the lowest it had been since 1964. The rate hit its modern peaks in 1980 and 1991, and has been more or less cut in half since then.
And it's a similar story in this country with crime rates peaking in the 1990s and then falling, but try to get people to believe that... It's funny reading in one of the other forums about the politician in Arizona being shot 'Aaah, what is happening to America...can't even protect our own public figures...good old days...', when in those good old innocent days two of the Kennedys and Martin Luther King and Malcolm X all got shot dead and there were all sorts of other riots within the space of just six years.

I like reading old newspapers from eras I can't remember too and social problems were just as bad or worse pretty much whenever you are comparing things to, only there wasn't the same 24/7 negative coverage.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:43 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,304,497 times
Hell no it wasn't. Sexual abuse and physical abuse to women by husbands, fathers, and brothers went largely unreported or accepted.

Segregation was still ongoing in this country in the 60's.

Poor folks back in the 20's and 30's were living in slums in NY where they had no light and 10 people sleeping in a room smaller than some jail cells today.

Things were definitely not better then, than they are today for most folks. For the few folks that were brave enough to live on the frontiers, and those folks who were financially able to live without fear of losing everything had it better back in those days. Today its much more spread out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or