U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 05:20 PM

424 posts, read 1,109,077 times

Advertisements

My apology if this has been discussed in another forum, but I did search and didn't find this particular slant on the above mentioned title.

Disney World visit prompted the above question while looking for a trinket made in the USA. I was NOT successful.

I think it would be wonderful if not only Disney but so many others who make money off of our purchases everyday, would take and invest those profits back into this country perhaps through an alliance to bring manufacturing back to the United States. So many invest in 3rd world countries, but with folks out of work here in the US, and High School students facing every increasing costs for college, I would think they would have an instant work force to begin this process. Costs would be very high to start, but over time I bet a lot of Americans would support their effort, when they see their communities actually producing products and employing people they know and love. Wouldn't this very act eventually bring the cost down and the wages up? Seems like a good solution to helping get our country back on track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 05:59 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,107,711 times
57 per hour vs $7.25... not going to happen.

*the first is the average wage of a Chinese worker, the second is the Federal minimum wage.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:13 PM

I certainly understand the cost factor and how expensive it would be, but these companies have so much money ... I wish they would just invest back into America whose citizens continue to give them their profits and not be so greedy in what they take in and keep investing in overseas. I understand the free market, but when our market is dying, it's really a shame in my opinion and selfish to boot!

Old 01-09-2011, 06:50 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,107,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolligrump View Post
I wish they would just invest back into America whose citizens continue to give them their profits and not be so greedy in what they take in and keep investing in overseas. I understand the free market, but when our market is dying, it's really a shame in my opinion and selfish to boot!
You should go and rent Wall Street it was a prophetic movie way ahead of its time. Also, read the following article that was posted on another thread.

The Rise of the New Global Elite - Magazine - The Atlantic

Modern capitalism doesn't recognize borders, or national loyalties.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:53 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,878,309 times
Maximize profits and personal paychecks....that is what the executives are trying to do.

American are just going to have to adjust to a much lower standard of living in my opinion. Hopefully we can adjust....without chaos.

If there is a revolution....those executives are in BIG trouble.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:24 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,614,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolligrump View Post
I certainly understand the cost factor and how expensive it would be, but these companies have so much money ... I wish they would just invest back into America whose citizens continue to give them their profits and not be so greedy in what they take in and keep investing in overseas. I understand the free market, but when our market is dying, it's really a shame in my opinion and selfish to boot!
I so agree with you.....but I think ovcatto is seeing this in a much more realistic light. People are just too greedy to think about anything else but getting more money. They are ruining our country and our world.

I also think JohnHAdams is correct in suggesting that some sort of revolution may come at a future point. It is important that we don't let the current economy beat us down until we no longer have the conviction to fight back when we've had enough of it.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:01 PM

98 posts, read 148,557 times
We, the consumers, are mostly to blame for our current situation. We were the target market and the original voracious consumers. Our lust for cheap goods lead us down this path.

I think the only way things will change is if we do start buying American only (but there isn't much made here anymore) or a combo of the third world workers demanding more money and perhaps a huge rise in transportation costs would sway big corp. back to manufacturing in the US. I'm not holding my breath though.

I don't remember if it was here or on another board that someone mentioned they believe that Africa will be the next area of cheap labor. This person felt that this was the drive behind the push for AIDS relief there. Not sure I agree but an interesting idea nonetheless.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:40 PM

4,601 posts, read 3,762,625 times
The only way to bring it back is by creating tariffs for foreign made goods and tax breaks for products made in America. This will never happen. Between greed and the illogical idea that we have outgrown manufacturing and can create our own job, it is a dream.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You should go and rent Wall Street it was a prophetic movie way ahead of its time. Also, read the following article that was posted on another thread.

The Rise of the New Global Elite - Magazine - The Atlantic

Modern capitalism doesn't recognize borders, or national loyalties.
I will do both of these - Thanks for the suggestion. Still though, all this makes me kinda sick to my stomach ...

Old 01-10-2011, 06:17 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,193,311 times
It would have to be high automated as lobor is the expensive part of manufacturing really. But then again the future markets are really not here in US as most have most things that many in the emerging markets do not. China for instance has become the largest market for automobiles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates